The Student Room Group

NEW car insurance? HELP!

I have just purchased a brand new 19 plate Mercedes A200 AMG in premium line. May have gone a bit mad but thought whilst I can still afford it why not?! Dream car! Not quite hot hatch territory being a 1.4l but packing 163hp the insurance companies are rinsing me.

So far all I can find are telematic (black box) policies ranging from £1000-£5000 the cheapest non "black box" policy is with Lloyds bank for £2750. I DO NOT want a black box if I can help it. I currently have a Corsa without one and I don't want the stress of driving and worrying about my score, or slightly speeding and getting my insurance cancelled.

The question is does anyone know of any good "non-black box" insurance companies that don't show up on comparison websites?

I pick the car up in a few weeks and although I can just about afford the Lloyds quote I don't really want to shell out another £3k after signing a PCP deal for a £30k car. Cheers.

EDIT: I am 19, with a full time job, living at home if that helps at all.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by James.P_98
I have just purchased a brand new 19 plate Mercedes A200 AMG in premium line. May have gone a bit mad but thought whilst I can still afford it why not?! Dream car! Not quite hot hatch territory being a 1.4l but packing 163hp the insurance companies are rinsing me.

So far all I can find are telematic (black box) policies ranging from £1000-£5000 the cheapest non "black box" policy is with Lloyds bank for £2750. I DO NOT want a black box if I can help it. I currently have a Corsa without one and I don't want the stress of driving and worrying about my score, or slightly speeding and getting my insurance cancelled.

The question is does anyone know of any good "non-black box" insurance companies that don't show up on comparison websites?

I pick the car up in a few weeks and although I can just about afford the Lloyds quote I don't really want to shell out another £3k after signing a PCP deal for a £30k car. Cheers.

EDIT: I am 19, with a full time job, living at home if that helps at all.

You are highly unlikely to get it any cheaper at your age
Reply 2
did you not get quotes for the insurance before signing up to buy the car? I think that the price you've been quoted is a bargain considering your age, your short driving history, the value of the car and the power of the car.
Reply 3
That’s exactly what I thought. Just got off the phone to direct line who offered me fully comp, no black box for £1750 a year. Mad!

Didn’t think I would get below £3k
Original post by Rock Fan
You are highly unlikely to get it any cheaper at your age
But havent you still gotta have a black box?
Reply 5
But havent you still gotta have a black box?

Nope! I did ask that question and the black box policy would be £1400 but no black box added just under £300 extra to bring it to £1750. I’m amazed 🙌🎉
I almost find that a bit difficult to believe hmmmm
Reply 7
I almost find that a bit difficult to believe hmmmm

Me too 😂 no in all fairness I am being honest. When I get the reg from the dealership and the insurance have be paid I’ll post the quote on here to prove it.
don't use morethan. one mph above the limit and your score drops like 10
Reply 9
So you magically went from £2750 WITH a black box to £1750 with no black box?
Reply 10
Original post by tesconyc
don't use morethan. one mph above the limit and your score drops like 10

Thank you! Exactly the reason why I don’t want a black box, the pressure to be perfect so you don’t drop your score when driving is enough to cause an accident let alone anything else.

The cheapest black box policy I found was Hastings direct “smart miles”. Non black box policy has been direct line.
Reply 11
Correct. I was only searching with comparison websites. Called direct line who as you said quoted me £1750 no black box. Trust me I’m as amazed as you are.
Original post by Xarao
So you magically went from £2750 WITH a black box to £1750 with no black box?
Reply 12
Original post by James.P_98
Correct. I was only searching with comparison websites. Called direct line who as you said quoted me £1750 no black box. Trust me I’m as amazed as you are.

If that's legit, good on you man. Sounds like a good deal.
Try admiral insurance if u know someone who works there insurance could be calm
Reply 14
Original post by Xarao
If that's legit, good on you man. Sounds like a good deal.

I’ll post the proof as soon as I take it out. Cheers bud, over the moon. Cracking deal for my age and vehicle.

Quick Reply

Latest