The Student Room Group

Getting out of a student contract

Hi,

So I have basically signed the contract for my third year with 2 of my friends and we paid 180 quid (each) as application fee but I want to leave this tenancy. I know I should have looked at these things before I signed the contract but the letting agents basically lied to us.

After I signed the contract (Which was a big ****ing hassle, there were tons of things to sign), the letting agents told me that not only do I need to pay £300 for deposit (fair enough, the amount is in the contract), but I have to pay first month's rent, which is £450. This is NOT in the contract. They also told us when we went to view the house that it is NOT a joint contract, whereas I checked again yesterday and it says in the contract that it is. This man literally lied to my face and continued to explain the benefits of not having a joint contract etc. So basically, in total, we have to pay £930 which is almost a ****ing grand before we even move in into the house??? It is absolute ridiculous and I am extremely concerned. How can I get out of this? They've also threatened us repeatedly that they would 're-advertise the rooms' if the contracts aren't signed by xyz dates and what not. I just need help on how to leave please.
Original post by maria_aleem
Hi,

So I have basically signed the contract for my third year with 2 of my friends and we paid 180 quid (each) as application fee but I want to leave this tenancy. I know I should have looked at these things before I signed the contract but the letting agents basically lied to us.

After I signed the contract (Which was a big ****ing hassle, there were tons of things to sign), the letting agents told me that not only do I need to pay £300 for deposit (fair enough, the amount is in the contract), but I have to pay first month's rent, which is £450. This is NOT in the contract. They also told us when we went to view the house that it is NOT a joint contract, whereas I checked again yesterday and it says in the contract that it is. This man literally lied to my face and continued to explain the benefits of not having a joint contract etc. So basically, in total, we have to pay £930 which is almost a ****ing grand before we even move in into the house??? It is absolute ridiculous and I am extremely concerned. How can I get out of this? They've also threatened us repeatedly that they would 're-advertise the rooms' if the contracts aren't signed by xyz dates and what not. I just need help on how to leave please.

If it isnt in the contract you shouldnt have to pay it. However it is normal to pay tge deposit ... usually one month rent and one month in advance.

Estate agents are lower than a snakes belly.
Reply 2
Original post by squeakysquirrel
If it isnt in the contract you shouldnt have to pay it. However it is normal to pay tge deposit ... usually one month rent and one month in advance.

Estate agents are lower than a snakes belly.

The thing is, they said that we can't even pick up the keys before we pay all this money. And the email said that this money will come out of the student loan that is given to us in APRIL. We had £1600+ come out of our accounts when the loan came in as rent for the current property we're living in. And all 3 of us went back into overdraft to fully pay our current rent. Then how the hell did these people expect us to pay almost a grand to them before the 1st of August? I mean how much student finance do they think we get?? I know they're not stupid, I know they see us, students, as vulnerable and take advantage of that. I am honestly fuming and so so worried.

I need to get out of this tenancy agreement.
Are you able to find someone to take the tenancy in your place?(what does your agreement say?) Once you've signed the contract for a tenancy agreement, there's no period where you can back out/change your mind. Depending on the agreement, you may have the option to pay a fee to end the tenancy early thou.

Normally however, as squeakysquirrel mentioned, you'd pay a deposit (max is now 1 1/2 of the monthly rent I believe), and the first months rent in advance.

Have you signed the agreement thou? Your last sentence...

Regarding the the administration fee, if you have a signed a contract when did you sign it? If it was signed after the 1st June than the estate agents aren't allowed to charge you a fee.
The thing is, they said that we can't even pick up the keys before we pay all this money. And the email said that this money will come out of the student loan that is given to us in APRIL. We had £1600+ come out of our accounts when the loan came in as rent for the current property we're living in. And all 3 of us went back into overdraft to fully pay our current rent. Then how the hell did these people expect us to pay almost a grand to them before the 1st of August? I mean how much student finance do they think we get?? I know they're not stupid, I know they see us, students, as vulnerable and take advantage of that. I am honestly fuming and so so worried.

I need to get out of this tenancy agreement.

I think you are being very naive. Of course you can't pick up the keys until you have paid the money...... but only if it is in your contract. If This extra money required is not there, then you don't have to pay.
Most of this seems normal to me? (other than the type of contract being lied about)
But normally you would pay a deposit and a month's rent in advance (and you'd need to anywhere)
Reply 6
Original post by Salostar
Are you able to find someone to take the tenancy in your place?(what does your agreement say?) Once you've signed the contract for a tenancy agreement, there's no period where you can back out/change your mind. Depending on the agreement, you may have the option to pay a fee to end the tenancy early thou.

Normally however, as squeakysquirrel mentioned, you'd pay a deposit (max is now 1 1/2 of the monthly rent I believe), and the first months rent in advance.

Have you signed the agreement thou? Your last sentence...

Regarding the the administration fee, if you have a signed a contract when did you sign it? If it was signed after the 1st June than the estate agents aren't allowed to charge you a fee.

Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I'll have to check that tbh, regarding finding a replacement.

As for the rest, I was in a student house for the first 2 years, both years, we never paid first month's rent, and our application fee was 75 quid, whereas here it was 180. Also, they lied to us about the application fee, masking it as 'the deposit' which they said was '480 in total' and said that 'you pay 180 now and 300 before September.' Nothing was said about an application fee, nothing was said about paying all of this before August and most certainly, the contract does not state anywhere that we have to pay the first month's rent.

Also yes, the contract was signed after June the 1st.
Reply 7
Original post by squeakysquirrel
I think you are being very naive. Of course you can't pick up the keys until you have paid the money...... but only if it is in your contract. If This extra money required is not there, then you don't have to pay.

I don't think I'm being naive at all. We were clearly told that the tenancy doesn't start before the 1st of September therefore, I am baffled why she told us to pick up the keys before the 1st of August, stating that that was the move in date. And no, nowhere in the contract does it say that we have to pay first month's rent yet the Estate Agent told me clearly verbally that I have to pay the rent along with the deposit before I can 'pick up keys.' I'm not suggesting that I want to pick up keys without paying the deposit, I'm just infuriated that we weren't told any of this nor is it in the contract.
I don't think I'm being naive at all. We were clearly told that the tenancy doesn't start before the 1st of September therefore, I am baffled why she told us to pick up the keys before the 1st of August, stating that that was the move in date. And no, nowhere in the contract does it say that we have to pay first month's rent yet the Estate Agent told me clearly verbally that I have to pay the rent along with the deposit before I can 'pick up keys.' I'm not suggesting that I want to pick up keys without paying the deposit, I'm just infuriated that we weren't told any of this nor is it in the contract.

As I have messaged you.... send me the copy and I will take a look. You can bluster all you like but if it isn't in the contract then it doesn't happen. Also being told verbally does not count. If it ain't written down it hasn't happened.

Look letting agents really are the scum of the earth.
Hi,

Thanks for your response.

I'll have to check that tbh, regarding finding a replacement.

As for the rest, I was in a student house for the first 2 years, both years, we never paid first month's rent, and our application fee was 75 quid, whereas here it was 180. Also, they lied to us about the application fee, masking it as 'the deposit' which they said was '480 in total' and said that 'you pay 180 now and 300 before September.' Nothing was said about an application fee, nothing was said about paying all of this before August and most certainly, the contract does not state anywhere that we have to pay the first month's rent.

Also yes, the contract was signed after June the 1st.

Hm, without seeing the contract there's not much more I can say. See what squeakysquirrel has to say if you send them a copy.

We were clearly told that the tenancy doesn't start before the 1st of September therefore, I am baffled why she told us to pick up the keys before the 1st of August, stating that that was the move in date.

Have a look at your contract the time period it covers. Aside from some exceptions, keys are usually handed over to a tenant at the start of a tenancy (exceptions that I'm aware of have involved bank holidays).

So true, always read the contract/agreement before signing - particularly as there's little consumer protection in place and what there is relies on local government to enforce (who, due to funding cuts are unable to enforce!)
If you signed the contract you're bound by it. In typical student contracts that means you can't get out unless you find a replacement tenant. But check your contract for a break clause.

Honestly the fees, deposit and month up front are totally normal ime. You're not gonna get keys before you've actually paid any rent are You? And of course you have to pay deposits and stuff early or they could end up stuck in September with no money and no tenants. The fees are being made illegal though so you should check the rules if they're allowed to charge them on your tenancy.

It's *****y that they lied to you but these companies are *****y and incompetent and either messed you about or just didn't realise what they were actually offering you. However this is why you should always read the tenancy agreement thoroughly because then you'd have known about this and the move in date and been able to query it... now you've essentially signed to say you're happy with it.

Quick Reply

Latest