The Student Room Group

hello! I am a non-UK student and I have many questions about applications

I am studying Western Australian Matriculation (WACE) and the subjects I am taking currently are English, Economics, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I want to do a LLB (hons) degree.

1.)I'm wondering if London South Bank University is a good university to study at?
2.) Can UK universities still accept you if your grade is slightly lower than their target grade?
3.) I have no idea how UCAS works lol
4.) Where is the best university to study law?

thank you so much !! sorry if I sound dumb ,I'm quite new to this
Original post by zingerburgers
I am studying Western Australian Matriculation (WACE) and the subjects I am taking currently are English, Economics, Chemistry, Maths and Psychology. I want to do a LLB (hons) degree.

1.)I'm wondering if London South Bank University is a good university to study at?
2.) Can UK universities still accept you if your grade is slightly lower than their target grade?

can't help on 1 and 4 but yes universities can still accept you if you miss your offer, when do you want to start university here?
You will be spending a lot of pennies to study in the UK and you're kinda throwing it away by studying law at Southbank.

Try somewhere a little better.

1. No, not in absolute terms. You will be paying a lot in fees (international fees are generally very high - I pay ~£30k per year for Imperial) and living expenses, with poor employment / salary prospects (not that I've actually looked at the stats);
4. Ones that you expect to meet the entry requirements for and that suit your way of working. Oxford, if you can.

2. Yes;
3. Have a look at their website. They have lots of information, including videos. Good luck.
(edited 4 years ago)

1. Go to the best university you can that your qualifications will allow. Blink Bill might be able to explain the Oz aspects better. Each uni will have entrance requirements, so if you find a place but you have higher, then consider why and check out other unis as well. Do your research. South bank is good for some but not for many others. It is not known to be amongst the recognised Law schools.

2. If you fail to meet the condition then it falls within their discretion. It depends how much you fail by , how many spare places they have and how many people are also wanting to be let in with lower grades. The short answer is yes, but by no means certain. More competitive uni= less likely.

3. See links on UCAS.
https://www.ucas.com/undergraduate/applying-university/ucas-undergraduate-international-and-eu-students
https://www.ucas.com/further-education/ucas-progress/apply-through-ucas-progress

4. I think Oxbridge if you are very clever, then a group of about 5-7, then another group of about 10, then another group of about ten.
The Law section has endless debates on the best Law schools, when you get towards the top then I dont think it makes that much difference. The best uni besides rep is the best one that meets your criteria, some people like to live in an interesting place or where its good value for money and has a social life. Lot of international students are obsessed with studying in London as well. There are good unis outside London as well as it being cheaper. London could be the opportunity of a lifetime though if you go to a good uni.
Original post by claireestelle
can't help on 1 and 4 but yes universities can still accept you if you miss your offer, when do you want to start university here?

September 2020!
September 2020!

you can submit an application through ucas from september onwards.
thank you everyone!! I will update soon
Update : I have updated the list of universities I want to go to!!

Please please tell me if they are good!

- Glasgow Caledonian
- QMUL (my top goal)
- KCL (my top goal 2.0)
- Cardiff
- Essex
- Swansea
- Aberdeen
Hello Zingerburgers,

How are you? This is a good question which many people bring up and the answer is not as easy as you would think. The best way to work out which university to go to would be to do quite a lot of research. Whilst rankings in your specific subject are important you also need to find out what your lecturers research and teach in the subject you are interested in studying, and how that programme has performed over time. If it is a new programme is it relevant to new markets and industries and are the modules likely to be relevant in 5 or10 years time? Do you learn core modules which give you professional knowledge which will support your career long term? Can you change modules if you find a better fit towards your long term goals at undergraduate level? What do graduates do after they have studied the subject you are interested in? Find out as much as you can about the programme from the prospectus, lecturers, alumni, site reviews and so on. The more that you do the research the more you will narrow down a university you feel comfortable with going to.

It is good to have a range of support there if you need it, in terms of helping you adjust to university life and study, finding information, support at your accommodation provider, and someone to talk to when you need to.

If you have specific interests outside study you may like to research which universities are best suited to that interest. Students Associations offer you a wealth of activities, all of which feed your interests and help you to make friends outside study. A study life balance is important to your general wellbeing, health and university experience. If you are from overseas it is important to connect with people and make friends with people from other countries and your own country as this all helps you to really perform well and enjoy your university experience. Good luck with your studies!

- Glasgow Caledonian
- QMUL (my top goal)
- KCL (my top goal 2.0)
- Cardiff
- Essex
- Swansea
- Aberdeen

- Glasgow Caledonian
- QMUL (my top goal)
- KCL (my top goal 2.0)
- Cardiff
- Essex
- Swansea
- Aberdeen

Hi @zingerburgers, glad to hear we've caught your eye!

@University of Aberdeen have given some great advice there, so I won't repeat them as if they haven't already covered it.

Some extra information I can give you that may help you arrange your plans however relate to your initial questions 2 and 3.

We (as in UK universities) can indeed accept students who don't quite meet the entry requirements. This traditionally happens for many universities during 'clearing' where at the point of most UK school results coming through there is a lively period of time where students who didn't do as well as hoped or have had a late change of plans apply for courses that still have vacancies. There is typically a small amount of a relaxing of requirements at this stage of the cycle, as universities have a better idea of the overall picture of availability as well as national performance. With regards to yourself, if you were to hold an offer with us but didn't quite hit the results you were hoping for, we would automatically reconsider you by those clearing standards rather than outright withdraw your place.

On top of that, and this may be the most helpful thing for you, you can apply to Swansea University directly as an overseas student. The big benefit for you on this one is that you could apply to us while still keeping UCAS application slots open, should you decide to use UCAS at all.

I hope that's of some use to you! With regards to your final question, I'm not going to drop our marketing materials on you without context. All universities have their strengths and weaknesses, and if there are any specific aspects of our course (or university, or even city) that you'd like me to pass on some information about, please do let me know and I'll be happy to share :smile:

Jamie
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Hi I’ve got an offer from Swansea uni of American studies and politics but I would rather study history at Swansea I would rather get into history course is it easy to switch courses ?
Original post by Swansea University Enquiries
Hi @zingerburgers, glad to hear we've caught your eye!

@University of Aberdeen have given some great advice there, so I won't repeat them as if they haven't already covered it.

Some extra information I can give you that may help you arrange your plans however relate to your initial questions 2 and 3.

We (as in UK universities) can indeed accept students who don't quite meet the entry requirements. This traditionally happens for many universities during 'clearing' where at the point of most UK school results coming through there is a lively period of time where students who didn't do as well as hoped or have had a late change of plans apply for courses that still have vacancies. There is typically a small amount of a relaxing of requirements at this stage of the cycle, as universities have a better idea of the overall picture of availability as well as national performance. With regards to yourself, if you were to hold an offer with us but didn't quite hit the results you were hoping for, we would automatically reconsider you by those clearing standards rather than outright withdraw your place.

On top of that, and this may be the most helpful thing for you, you can apply to Swansea University directly as an overseas student. The big benefit for you on this one is that you could apply to us while still keeping UCAS application slots open, should you decide to use UCAS at all.

I hope that's of some use to you! With regards to your final question, I'm not going to drop our marketing materials on you without context. All universities have their strengths and weaknesses, and if there are any specific aspects of our course (or university, or even city) that you'd like me to pass on some information about, please do let me know and I'll be happy to share :smile:

Jamie
Original post by Hus3110
Hi I’ve got an offer from Swansea uni of American studies and politics but I would rather study history at Swansea I would rather get into history course is it easy to switch courses ?

Hi @Hus3110,

It should hopefully be quite a simple thing to resolve. Please email [email protected] (if you're set to do a BA) or [email protected] (if it's an MA) with your student number or UCAS personal ID (whichever you have) and we can get the ball rolling on that for you.

Jamie
Reply 13
Hi thanks Jamie so I should email [email protected] and say I have a firm offer from Swansea for American studies and politics but I want to do history instead and they should change it when I get my results or when ?
Hi @Hus3110,

It should hopefully be quite a simple thing to resolve. Please email [email protected] (if you're set to do a BA) or [email protected] (if it's an MA) with your student number or UCAS personal ID (whichever you have) and we can get the ball rolling on that for you.

Jamie
Original post by Hus3110
Hi thanks Jamie so I should email [email protected] and say I have a firm offer from Swansea for American studies and politics but I want to do history instead and they should change it when I get my results or when ?

Hi @Hus3110,

You can send that email in now and hopefully we can rearrange things quickly for you.

Jamie
Reply 15
Thanks Jamie I’ve emailed it saying I want a course change.
Hi @Hus3110,

You can send that email in now and hopefully we can rearrange things quickly for you.

Jamie

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending