The Student Room Group

worst universiy?

what is the worst university in the UK?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Depends on what you look for in a university. No university is consistently the worst across all subjects.
Imperial
Reply 3
University of hard knocks perhaps?
Anything that ends with 'Met'
Reply 5
Not this again!

I've never been, but it's supposed to be London Met based on statistics.
Wolverhampton is supposed to be bad, potentially worse, but refused to release statistics for many years so couldn't be ranked. I also know someone who got DDD at A level then supposedly got a first from there which screams dodgy. And I'm for most universities having equal marking.
Marjon
Original post by Randomuser3
what is the worst university in the UK?

The one that you hate the most, and will never, ever want to study at.
Cambridge or Oxford
Reply 9
I'm going to change my answer and say Warwick because they don't punish sexually aggressive boys without pressure from students and the public.

EDIT: Plus no Geography department.
Original post by OddOnes
Not this again!

I've never been, but it's supposed to be London Met based on statistics.
Wolverhampton is supposed to be bad, potentially worse, but refused to release statistics for many years so couldn't be ranked. I also know someone who got DDD at A level then supposedly got a first from there which screams dodgy. And I'm for most universities having equal marking.

It's unlikely but possible such as people I know who obtained all A's at GCSE and flopped at A level, meanwhile others got C's and went on to getting straight A's at A level.

Most people don't maintain a consistent academic record as they are dependent on many factors which aren't related to aptitude... not to mention how the structure of academia changes from A level to degree. You would get a few outliers but yeah as a general rule A levels would correlate pretty strongly to degree classification (not as strongly as GCSE's though).
Original post by Anagogic
It's unlikely but possible such as people I know who obtained all A's at GCSE and flopped at A level, meanwhile others got C's and went on to getting straight A's at A level.

Most people don't maintain a consistent academic record as they are dependent on many factors which aren't related to aptitude... not to mention how the structure of academia changes from A level to degree. You would get a few outliers but yeah as a general rule A levels would correlate pretty strongly to degree classification (not as strongly as GCSE's though).

I know that's possible as it happened to myself. I have done well in everything (GCSEs, Bachelors, Masters) except A levels. However, I still got an A in my chosen degree subject, the others were Cs and Ds.

I have read articles suggesting it is common at Wolverhampton for most people to go in with extremely bad A levels (below Cs) and come out with high marks, rather than just outliers.
all as bad as eachother - cash cows.
University of Lincoln
Burningham
I don't think there is such thing as worst university.
It comes from subjective opinion.
Only you can determine what the worst university is.
Top 10's can't determine what is worst university is for you.
You can only know if you have been in all universities in the UK, which is highly unlikely.
For me there isn't a worst University.

I however think that University of Manchester is better than Manchester Metropolitan University. UoM has more subjects than MMU. I also think that UoM has better environment for me. I am more comfortable with the UoM environment. UoM is more strategic, deciding and disciplined, whereas MMU is more spontaneous, browsing and whimsical. Which is why UoM attracts me and MMU does not.

I also think University of Salford is better than MMU but I am not appreciated to the organisation of UoS as I am with UoM.
Original post by OddOnes
I know that's possible as it happened to myself. I have done well in everything (GCSEs, Bachelors, Masters) except A levels. However, I still got an A in my chosen degree subject, the others were Cs and Ds.

I have read articles suggesting it is common at Wolverhampton for most people to go in with extremely bad A levels (below Cs) and come out with high marks, rather than just outliers.

"Suggesting" that's not the same as happening. I know a few people who went there, worryingly one of my good mates got EE at a level and still got a place. Needless to say he didn't pass first year so at least they aren't handing out degrees. The fact he got in is a major red flag though.

You'd need to shift through the data to see what the average entry tariff was vs classification. You'd account for a few outliers but the findings should correlate fairly strongly.

I suppose those who did poorly in a level could have changed course at uni i.e say if you did biology at A level which you could easily get a C or D in regardless of your intelligence then there's no reason why they couldn't go on to do well in something they have interest in.
Why?
Original post by snazzy viking
University of Lincoln
Apparantly London met.
Original post by Sophie.Emma18
Why?

Mr Gilbert said so

Quick Reply

Latest