The Student Room Group

Results Day FAQ 2019

Results day FAQ (2019)

Hey everyone!

Results days are either here or fast approaching, so the great folks here at TSR and I wanted to put together an FAQ for results day.

This format will follow a number of scenarios, both for those with conditional and unconditional offers. Just pick that one(s) that apply to you!

I will do my best to answer as much I can in this OP, but please post any other questions you may have down below if anything has been missed :smile:

I have a conditional offer

1- I made my grades!

First of all, congratulations on meeting your firm offer! :party:
For many people, UCAS will automatically alert universities to your results and you will just have to wait for your welcome letter and forms from UCAS to come though.

However, for some IB students where their centre does not pass exam results on through IBO, applicants will need to manually send their results to universities. A good photo or scan of the results sheet emailed to the university should do the trick here

2- I missed my offer for my firm but not my insurance. What happens next?

You will automatically be accepted to your insurance choice. Congratulations! The steps will be the same as if you made your firm offer, just at a different university. You have to wait for UCAS to send through the forms, just like in scenario 1. :crazy:

3- I missed both my firm and insurance offers. What are my next steps?

Don’t panic :nah:- you still have a chance to get into university!

Even if you miss both of your offers, either your firm or insurance may choose to accept you anyway. If this does not happen, however, you can either go through clearing (the FAQ to which I will tag at the end of the post) or take a gap year. Either way, this definitely does not have to be the end. Breathe.

4- I have exceeded my firm offer! Is there anything I can do?

Nice going, clever clogs! :thumbsup:
Now you have exceeded your grades you have two options- you can either choose to stay at your firm choice of university or you can apply to another choice through adjustment. This process is essentially the opposite of clearing, where students who exceed their offer can apply to a new university higher up in the league tables. The adjustment FAQ is linked at the bottom of this post :smile:

5- I have an unconditional offer (accepted by my firm choice) but no longer want to go to that university

New for 2019 entry, UCAS are letting students ‘decline their place’. This means that if an unconditional offer is held but you wish to go to another university, you can be released from your firm choice and be put straight into clearing.

I wish I could give more practical advice, but since this is a new programme we do not fully know how it will play out yet. For further information, there is a link to the page on UCAS here as well as one here one TSR

Note 1: You need to wait for your offer to be made unconditional by your university before releasing into clearing.

Note 2: If you release yourself from your unconditional firm choice, you will NOT be released to your insurance choice. You will go straight into clearing instead.

I have an unconditional offer

1- I have an unconditional offer from my firm choice

Congratulations! Now you just have to wait for your forms to come from UCAS to get you ready for September.

You’re good to go! :dance:

Note: If you hold an unconditional offer and want to change universities, go to scenario 3.

2- I have a conditional firm but an unconditional insurance place

If you miss the grades for your firm university and they choose to reject you, then you will automatically be accepted into your insurance choice, regardless of grades.

Congratulations, you are going to university! :party:

3- I have an unconditional offer but no longer want to go to that university

New for 2019 entry, UCAS are letting students ‘decline their place’. This means that if an unconditional offer is held but you wish to go to another university, you can be released from your firm choice and be put straight into clearing.

I wish I could give more practical advice, but since this is a new programme we do not fully know how it will play out yet. For further information, there is a link to the page on UCAS here. As well as one here one TSR

Note 1: You need to wait for your offer to be made unconditional by your university before releasing into clearing.

Note 2: If you release yourself from your unconditional firm choice, you will NOT be released to your insurance choice. You will go straight into clearing instead.
I did not apply to university this year but still want to go!

This is where the fun begins!
If you did not apply via UCAS this year and still want to go to university, UCAS offers a 'clearing direct' service in which candidates can apply as normal but are put straight into clearing instead of picking university choices.
This service is open from 18:00 on the 30th June and runs all the way to the 22nd October! This should give you enough time to throw a personal statement and complete everything for UCAS.
For any further guidance on clearing, the clearing/adjustment FAQ is linked at the bottom of this post :excited:
Best of luck if you choose to apply via UCAS Direct, you'll smash it! :jumphug:

Many thanks to PQ for helping me with the IB stuff. :hugs:
Clearing and adjustment FAQ: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6018120
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Awww thank you! There are a couple of links missing right now due to glitches, so I will sort these out in a few minutes :hugs:
What if you miss your firm but you get higher than your insurance and you don’t want to go there? Do you go through clearing or adjustment?
Original post by watershower
What if you miss your firm but you get higher than your insurance and you don’t want to go there? Do you go through clearing or adjustment?

I assume that if you are given an unconditional by your insurance you can decline and go in to clearing that way, though I will need to check. Let me get back to you :smile:
Reply 4

You'll only be eligible for adjustment if you've met or exceeded the conditions of your conditional firm offer. Should you get higher than your insurance but not wish to go there, you'll have to be ask to be released into clearing but only do that once you have spoken to your new university and have verbally agreed that they'll offer you a place for X course.

Edit: UCAS has a new release process into clearing this year and we'll update you as soon as we know more. :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
You'll only be eligible for adjustment if you've met or exceeded the conditions of your conditional firm offer. Should you get higher than your insurance but not wish to go there, you'll have to be ask to be released into clearing but only do that once you have spoken to your new university and have verbally agreed that they'll offer you a place for X course.

That might be different given the new release processes into clearing though. I'll ask UCAS about the new procedures over the weekend :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by barror1
That might be different given the new release processes into clearing though. I'll ask UCAS about the new procedures over the weekend :smile:

True. :smile:
Original post by barror1

It would definitely still be clearing not adjustment if they haven't exceeded their firm offer, but yes the decline my offer option will speed up the process this year :smile:

If you don’t want to go to your insurance then contact them and ucas now to change your reply to a decline. That way if your firm reject you then you’ll go straight into clearing (if you wait then there could be delays - the decline my place function on Track would only be available if your insurance place had been confirmed and some insurance universities can be slow to get round to insurance applicants).
With regard to this new self release into Clearing, will IB students be able to use it in July or will it only begin in August after the A level results?
Reply 10
Original post by harrysbar
With regard to this new self release into Clearing, will IB students be able to use it in July or will it only begin in August after the A level results?

We’ll check that for you and will let you know ASAP (by the end of tomorrow) since this a new thing UCAS has introduced. :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6018164 -> That’s the latest stuff we know regarding decline my place.
(edited 4 years ago)
We’ll check that for you and will let you know ASAP (by the end of tomorrow) since this a new thing UCAS has introduced. :smile:

Thank you, I think it's available from 5th July (today!) but would be nice to have it confirmed
Reply 12

https://www.ucas.com/advisers/guides-and-resources/adviser-news/news/new-2019-online-self-release-clearing
Online self-release will be available in Track to all placed applicants, from 5 July 2019.
Reply 14
Thank you, I think it's available from 5th July (today!) but would be nice to have it confirmed

I see 8472 has just replied to say it is. Refresh the page and you should see a link to a thread regarding decline my place. If not, I can link it again. :smile:
I see 8472 has just replied to say it is. Refresh the page and you should see a link to a thread regarding decline my place. If not, I can link it again. :smile:

I've seen the link, thank you :smile:

It is available from today for people who hold an unconditional firm offer :smile:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/news/ucas-is-letting-students-decline-their-firm-choice-in-track-for-the-first-time
Original post by Puddles the Monkey

It's kind of exciting to see how it unfolds but at the same time I hope the option of the button doesn't encourage people to decline a place too easily and then regret it afterwards. Students need to be very careful about this

You can decline your place and go in to clearing as long as the offer from your insurance is made unconditional :smile:
You can also decline in to clearing if you have an unconditional from your firm choice!
I am planning on studying Biological Sciences at UCL, the conditional offer I received was AAA.
Every night I have been thinking about the exams tallying marks (I am unable to stop thinking about it, despite the fact that I know its illogical to focus on something out of my control now).
I believe that I probably achieved A*AB
or AAB.
Two questions, what is the likelihood of UCL being lenient and accepting me into the program, and is there anything I can do in the meantime?

Now before someone comments, I have an insurance that I believe is achievable, and I know no one knows exactly the UCL's accepting and rejecting process.
The worse thing is that my parents and my siblings are acting like I am definitely going to be in London next year that I achieved the grades and I will go to UCL and I am too scared to say that I might not.
(edited 4 years ago)

Latest

Trending

Trending