The Student Room Group

BBC makes 'progress' in sexist pay

Scroll to see replies

Defund the BBC
Reply 21
Original post by AperfectBalance
Defund the BBC

Why? I mean it’s Britain’s last globally recognised tool for soft power..
I'm not so convinced this problem actually exists in real any real prejudiced context.

I think the real problem may very well be us ourselves, maybe we need to look why we value male entertainment higher than female entertainment.

Personally I think that is the question that needs to be addressed, the money will literally come automatically when this is addressed and women become more of a bums on seat sales tool.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 23
The drive at the BBC is for women to earn 'the same' using the same methodology applied to the rest of the public sector, for that reason they have been pushing top male earners out of the door unceremoniously and been awarding eye-watering pay rises to women on lower pay grades. Out goes the old pay scale based on things like experience and natural ability, in comes a crude lumping of everything together to equalise something never equal before.
Original post by z-hog
The drive at the BBC is for women to earn 'the same' using the same methodology applied to the rest of the public sector, for that reason they have been pushing top male earners out of the door unceremoniously and been awarding eye-watering pay rises to women on lower pay grades. Out goes the old pay scale based on things like experience and natural ability, in comes a crude lumping of everything together to equalise something never equal before.

All it will do is push pay down for both!
Reply 25
Original post by Burton Bridge
All it will do is push pay down for both!

Let's hope so, with so many of them on absolutely scandalous public money. In the meantime, women are making a killing out of it with all the engineered promoting of the war of the sexes. The 'problem' I have is when we are presented with someone who is very much middle of the road on silly dosh only because she is part of this or that social group or category, that's when it all starts turning a bit... testing. Top talent on good money, no problem regardless of sex, gender or whatever. Lineker was never a good host either, equally absurd.
Original post by z-hog
Let's hope so, with so many of them on absolutely scandalous public money. In the meantime, women are making a killing out of it with all the engineered promoting of the war of the sexes. The 'problem' I have is when we are presented with someone who is very much middle of the road on silly dosh only because she is part of this or that social group or category, that's when it all starts turning a bit... testing. Top talent on good money, no problem regardless of sex, gender or whatever. Lineker was never a good host either, equally absurd.

They are only making a fraction of the money they bring into the company. Low wages only benifits the wealthy
Do you imagine Suzanne Reid gets the same as Piers Morgan for their GMB gig?
Original post by Just my opinion
Do you imagine Suzanne Reid gets the same as Piers Morgan for their GMB gig?

Do you think Suzanne Reid pull's in the viewers that Piers Morgan does?

Do you think if you think Suzanne Reid is as well known as Piers Morgan?
Original post by Burton Bridge
Do you think Suzanne Reid pull's in the viewers that Piers Morgan does?

Do you think if you think Suzanne Reid is as well known as Piers Morgan?

No, and that's my point.
Some people react like presenters working for the council.
They all apply for the job with different lengths of experience and bring individual amounts of public draw with them.
Add in that they individually negotiate their pay, each with a different agent, and you can see why there is so many variables and why market values mean they don't end up on the same salary.
Original post by Just my opinion
No, and that's my point.
Some people react like presenters working for the council.
They all apply for the job with different lengths of experience and bring individual amounts of public draw with them.
Add in that they individually negotiate their pay, each with a different agent, and you can see why there is so many variables and why market values mean they don't end up on the same salary.

Then we are in agreement, as I said above
the real problem may very well be us ourselves, maybe we need to look why we value male entertainment higher than female entertainment.
Original post by Napp
Why? I mean it’s Britain’s last globally recognised tool for soft power..

It much like democracy itself has become bloated and full of useless money sinks, bleeding it dry for a while would be a good thing.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending