The Student Room Group

Scared of failing my masters

I just have my diss (60 credits) left to complete and I feel like I can't continue. I am so burnt out. My grades for the year so far average out at 61% which is a merit so I am not really failing but if I get anything less than a merit overall I will see it as a failure. I had really bad anxiety and agoraphobia in the second semester and I also got out of a controlling relationship then too, it just feels like everything has come on top of me and I can't continue my course.

What do I do?
Original post by Anonymous
I just have my diss (60 credits) left to complete and I feel like I can't continue. I am so burnt out. My grades for the year so far average out at 61% which is a merit so I am not really failing but if I get anything less than a merit overall I will see it as a failure. I had really bad anxiety and agoraphobia in the second semester and I also got out of a controlling relationship then too, it just feels like everything has come on top of me and I can't continue my course.

What do I do?

tell the university what's been going on, perhaps they can give you an extention or something else
Reply 2
Original post by claireestelle
tell the university what's been going on, perhaps they can give you an extention or something else

My university are aware of what has been going on. I have been told that if I want an extension I will not be able to get one unless I am not willing to graduate with the rest of my class. My deadline isn't until September so I am hoping that by then I will have sorted myself out and that I can feel ready to complete my last essay. I have started it but it is just a draft of a draft at the moment.
My university are aware of what has been going on. I have been told that if I want an extension I will not be able to get one unless I am not willing to graduate with the rest of my class. My deadline isn't until September so I am hoping that by then I will have sorted myself out and that I can feel ready to complete my last essay. I have started it but it is just a draft of a draft at the moment.

just do what you can in small chunks and be kind to yourself if it gets to a few weeks and you think you need that extension then take it :smile:
Reply 4

What do I do?

The feeling of burn out is a common feeling on Masters courses. Take a week away from your dissertation and any work, and come back with a fresh mind and attitude.

Then sit down and plan out what you need to achieve each week so you will be done by the deadline. Depending on your employment situation, make sure you take at least one full day off each week to unwind.
Hi there,

As @claireestelle says, definitely write your dissertation in small manageable chunks.

I graduated from my Masters in January and writing in small blocks was the best way for me to manage whilst working. I completely agree with @RV3112, take a week away from studying (and don't feel guilty about taking time off!) Rest, recharge and come back fresh, and always take a day off a week.

Making a plan is also a good idea. I have to be honest, I love a tick list! Ticking parts of the dissertation off my list as I completed them really helped keep me focused on what I was doing and how much I had done.

Please feel free to message any questions we can answer, and good luck, you CAN do this!

Fi :horse:
Original post by claireestelle
just do what you can in small chunks and be kind to yourself if it gets to a few weeks and you think you need that extension then take it :smile:

Thank you. I have done a little bit today but at least it is something. I don't think it helps that I hated my degree. I thought it was something that I was interested in but it could not be further from my interests.
Original post by RV3112
The feeling of burn out is a common feeling on Masters courses. Take a week away from your dissertation and any work, and come back with a fresh mind and attitude.

Then sit down and plan out what you need to achieve each week so you will be done by the deadline. Depending on your employment situation, make sure you take at least one full day off each week to unwind.

Thank you, it is good knowing that I am not the only one feeling this way. All of my friends seem to be fine and it made me feel bad.

I have done thanks, I am trying to write about 1000 a week
Original post by S1elyak1
Thank you. I have done a little bit today but at least it is something. I don't think it helps that I hated my degree. I thought it was something that I was interested in but it could not be further from my interests.

i'm sorry to hear that, just keep reminding yourself after this you wont have to study again.
Original post by Liverpool Hope University
Hi there,

As @claireestelle says, definitely write your dissertation in small manageable chunks.

I graduated from my Masters in January and writing in small blocks was the best way for me to manage whilst working. I completely agree with @RV3112, take a week away from studying (and don't feel guilty about taking time off!) Rest, recharge and come back fresh, and always take a day off a week.

Making a plan is also a good idea. I have to be honest, I love a tick list! Ticking parts of the dissertation off my list as I completed them really helped keep me focused on what I was doing and how much I had done.

Please feel free to message any questions we can answer, and good luck, you CAN do this!

Fi :horse:

Yeah I have been trying to do that. I have done a bit today which is better than nothing :smile:

Thank you for your advice
Hi S1elyak1 :smile:

Thats great.. keep it up and you will soon get it done!

Your very welcome

Amy. :biggrin:
Original post by S1elyak1
Yeah I have been trying to do that. I have done a bit today which is better than nothing :smile:

Thank you for your advice

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending