The Student Room Group

If the NHS is so important...

If the NHS is so important to the public then why is the National Health Action Party so obscure?

https://nhaparty.org/

Scroll to see replies

Because when we vote, we don’t vote solely about one issue. The vast majority of people will have a plethora of issues they are concerned about, including, but not limited to, the NHS. They will also be worried about the funding given to their children’s schools, unemployment, the deficit, inflation, social care, immigration etc.
Original post by LeapingLucy
Because when we vote, we don’t vote solely about one issue.

Apart from Brexit!
Original post by ByEeek
Apart from Brexit!

I’m talking about elections as the OP was talking about the electoral success of a particular party.

Referenda are obviously the opposite.
Original post by LeapingLucy
I’m talking about elections as the OP was talking about the electoral success of a particular party.

Referenda are obviously the opposite.

Yep. And in the last general election, UKIP polled 4.7 million votes based primarily on Brexit.
Original post by ByEeek
Apart from Brexit!

Pmsl true, I wish the parliament had voted in meanful vote 4. We really need to start talking about other real subjects.
Parties for single normal policy goals (not as monumentous as Brexit) perform poorly, despite being important
Reply 7
Could it be indicative that the establishment parties, especially Labour, overestimate the importance of the NHS as an issue in the mind of the public in the run up to general elections?

It might be an unfair comparison to make but even the BNP has done better in elections than the National Health Action Party has. Does this imply that mass immigration and / or Islam are more pressing concerns amongst the public than the NHS is?
Because the preservation of the NHS is an already covered by most left leaning parties, which have larger platforms and more substantive positions on other political issues.
Original post by Arran90
Could it be indicative that the establishment parties, especially Labour, overestimate the importance of the NHS as an issue in the mind of the public in the run up to general elections?

It might be an unfair comparison to make but even the BNP has done better in elections than the National Health Action Party has. Does this imply that mass immigration and / or Islam are more pressing concerns amongst the public than the NHS is?

That's because the public don't feel the NHS is in danger, the establishment parties or promising to protect it
Reply 10
The only left leaning parties of any significance and capacity are Labour, after Jeremy Corbyn took over as leader, and the Green Party. Anything else is minor, insignificant, or just plain damn crazy communists.

Corbyn has probably taken away some of the potential support base for the National Health Action Party but he is seen as a nutter with a cult like personality by millions who isn't really in control of his party.
Original post by Arran90
The only left leaning parties of any significance and capacity are Labour, after Jeremy Corbyn took over as leader, and the Green Party. Anything else is minor, insignificant, or just plain damn crazy communists.

Corbyn has probably taken away some of the potential support base for the National Health Action Party but he is seen as a nutter with a cult like personality by millions who isn't really in control of his party.

Yes, those are indeed the left leaning parties with larger platforms and more substantive positions on other political issues I was referring to.
Reply 12
I don't really see the NHS as a clearly left vs right political issue.

In all fairness, the National Health Action Party was established before Corbyn took over as leader of Labour, when Labour was austerity 2.0. The Green Party lives in an idealistic world and has a limited demographic support base not consisting of Mr and Mrs Average.
Original post by Arran90

Well you are wrong then, the NHS is group responsibility if public health, nationalised social service based on high taxation, which is the core beliefs of the left.

Vs the right core beliefs of individual responsibility, privatisation and low taxation
Original post by Arran90

In all fairness, the National Health Action Party was established before Corbyn took over as leader of Labour, when Labour was austerity 2.0. The Green Party lives in an idealistic world and has a limited demographic support base not consisting of Mr and Mrs Average.

You may be right, but it is the left of center parties that are more resistant to privatisation.
Reply 15
Original post by Burton Bridge
Well you are wrong then, the NHS is group responsibility if public health, nationalised social service based on high taxation, which is the core beliefs of the left.

Vs the right core beliefs of individual responsibility, privatisation and low taxation

The BNP claimed to be very supportive of the NHS. Their popular position is a party of the far right although it could be argued that their economic position wasn't too far off Old Labour.

Even individuals and factions in UKIP were very supportive of the NHS despite UKIP generally being a party of the (economic) right.
Reply 16
NuLab was a case of Thatcherite economics 2.0 and privatisation of the NHS (and other public institutions) by stealth.
Original post by Arran90
The BNP claimed to be very supportive of the NHS. Their popular position is a party of the far right although it could be argued that their economic position wasn't too far off Old Labour.

Even individuals and factions in UKIP were very supportive of the NHS despite UKIP generally being a party of the (economic) right.

Well you will find statements from various political figures from all over, however the generalisation of what I said is correct
Reply 18
Original post by Burton Bridge
Well you will find statements from various political figures from all over, however the generalisation of what I said is correct

Left and right are vague terms. Your generalisation applies to left in terms of economic policy but not left (in fact undefined) in terms of social policy.

Libertarians are sometimes just as far left in terms of social policy as the SWP is but in terms of economic policy they are laissez faire capitalists with the beliefs you stated of individual responsibility, privatisation and low taxation.
Original post by Arran90
Left and right are vague terms. Your generalisation applies to left in terms of economic policy but not left (in fact undefined) in terms of social policy.

Libertarians are sometimes just as far left in terms of social policy as the SWP is but in terms of economic policy they are laissez faire capitalists with the beliefs you stated of individual responsibility, privatisation and low taxation.

My post related to traditional left and right core values

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending