The Student Room Group

Is Sheffield University a good university for Math?

I am an overseas student, University of Sheffield is my first choice( for now) as they have the international merit ug scholarship.

If Sheffield isn't a good choice, where else would be good for Math and has cheaper tuition fees/living costs( unis in London is a no) or has good scholarships.

Forecast Grades : A*A*AA
In one word - no. You can apply pretty much anywhere you want with those grades.
It's a good university for sure, certainly not a bad one; you'd get a great education if you went there. It doesn't stand out particularly as a university for mathematics, at least as a mathematician I haven't heard of/talked to anyone from the department.

Good universities for maths that I can think of, in no particular order: Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York, Strathclyde, Bristol, Glasgow, Bath. I've certainly missed a few, but these are some places that I know have good maths deparments (and aren't in London).
whilst your first sentence is 100% true, there is literally not one employer in the world who would not bother to interview a maths graduate from Sheffield uni because they were from Sheffield uni even if they had other interviewees from Cambridge and Oxford - the work experience on the CV will be most important. Sheffield is a perfectly good uni and fits in as a cheaper place compared to all of the others you listed
Original post by username1732491
It's a good university for sure, certainly not a bad one; you'd get a great education if you went there. It doesn't stand out particularly as a university for mathematics, at least as a mathematician I haven't heard of/talked to anyone from the department.

Good universities for maths that I can think of, in no particular order: Oxford, Cambridge, St Andrews, Edinburgh, York, Strathclyde, Bristol, Glasgow, Bath. I've certainly missed a few, but these are some places that I know have good maths deparments (and aren't in London).

Quick Reply

Latest