The Student Room Group

Conflicted... 😔 (University choice...)

😖🔫
I have 6 weeks off and have booked an open day for Birmingham City, and Staffordshire University... however... (so dramatic lmao) I am conflicted between design courses at other universities as I plan right now on doing design around film, media, and games. But because there are so many, I don’t know what to do, and especially which one is the best university for design. Help? 😨🔫🐔
Have moved this to art and design university courses :smile:

You need to visit both and decide for yourself which you like, i personally didnt like birmingham city for design but it might suit you
@ all the replies above. Very true. I just want to be able to access the best facilities and teaching (for university)
Original post by Ratchet Hoe
😖🔫
I have 6 weeks off and have booked an open day for Birmingham City, and Staffordshire University... however... (so dramatic lmao) I am conflicted between design courses at other universities as I plan right now on doing design around film, media, and games. But because there are so many, I don’t know what to do, and especially which one is the best university for design. Help? 😨🔫🐔

Hi @Ratchet Hoe

It's great to hear you're coming to one of our Open Days - they're really the best way to get a feel for our Uni and campus - and they also allow you to chat directly to your potential lecturers - something which I think will really help in your situation.

Which areas in particular are you looking to study when it comes to design? We have our BSc (Hons) Computer Games Design degree, which would be perfect for you if you're interested in learning about both the creative and technical aspects of producing a game.

We also have our BA (Hons) Concept Art for Games and Film degree which combines traditional techniques with more modern techniques like digital painting and sculpting. This one in particular is a good choice if you already have strong painting and drawing skills.

While both are popular courses, they're very different and will prepare you for different careers so it's worth having a think about what you'd like to do when you graduate before you commit to one of them.

Hopefully that helps a little but please give me a shout if you have any particular questions - we can also put you in touch with some of the course leaders ahead of the Open Day if that helps? Just let us know :smile:

Thanks

Amy
Hey there!

I've just finished an art degree at Staffs (Cartoon & Comic Arts) and couldn't recommend it enough. The thing that I personally enjoyed about studying art at Staffs was that we were encouraged to try so many different things that weren't directly associated with our subject to inform and improve our work (physical and digital modelling, animation, screen printing, book binding, creative writing, business and taxes, etc) and a lot of this came from the way the art department is structured. It's not difficult to utilize and work with other courses and their equipment. And that really helped me with my degree.

What would you like to know specifically about the courses you're looking at? I can have a dig around and send you some info (although Amy has done that brilliantly) and give you my personal opinions from working with and around those courses, if I can.

The open days will probably be the best way to inform your choices right now tho, so good decision in booking those! I'll be about on the open day, so feel free to message me beforehand if you're worried about anything.

Good luck with your applications!

- Gee
Just tagging you in so you see @StaffsUniGee's helpful response :h:

Good luck with everything!
😖🔫
Original post by Staffordshire University
Hi @Ratchet Hoe

It's great to hear you're coming to one of our Open Days - they're really the best way to get a feel for our Uni and campus - and they also allow you to chat directly to your potential lecturers - something which I think will really help in your situation.

Which areas in particular are you looking to study when it comes to design? We have our BSc (Hons) Computer Games Design degree, which would be perfect for you if you're interested in learning about both the creative and technical aspects of producing a game.

We also have our BA (Hons) Concept Art for Games and Film degree which combines traditional techniques with more modern techniques like digital painting and sculpting. This one in particular is a good choice if you already have strong painting and drawing skills.

While both are popular courses, they're very different and will prepare you for different careers so it's worth having a think about what you'd like to do when you graduate before you commit to one of them.

Hopefully that helps a little but please give me a shout if you have any particular questions - we can also put you in touch with some of the course leaders ahead of the Open Day if that helps? Just let us know :smile:

Thanks

Amy

Sorry for the late reply! Being in contact with the course leaders will be very helpful! Thank you!
Original post by She-Ra
Just tagging you in so you see @StaffsUniGee's helpful response :h:

Good luck with everything!

Thank you!
A bug deleted most of my comment but I’ll write it again
(edited 4 years ago)
It keeps on bugging! Sorry!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by StaffsUniGee
Hey there!

I've just finished an art degree at Staffs (Cartoon & Comic Arts) and couldn't recommend it enough. The thing that I personally enjoyed about studying art at Staffs was that we were encouraged to try so many different things that weren't directly associated with our subject to inform and improve our work (physical and digital modelling, animation, screen printing, book binding, creative writing, business and taxes, etc) and a lot of this came from the way the art department is structured. It's not difficult to utilize and work with other courses and their equipment. And that really helped me with my degree.

What would you like to know specifically about the courses you're looking at? I can have a dig around and send you some info (although Amy has done that brilliantly) and give you my personal opinions from working with and around those courses, if I can.

The open days will probably be the best way to inform your choices right now tho, so good decision in booking those! I'll be about on the open day, so feel free to message me beforehand if you're worried about anything.

Good luck with your applications!

- Gee

Hi StaffsUniGee! That is really good that you have enjoyed the course! I was looking at concept art, but also looking at another range such as production in film and media, product design, and design for film and games. I plan on going to the art direction route, or being a set designer for films. I have so many questions by the way! What is the work like, and is it fun? Also do you get any free time and is it harder and stressful like A levels because the pressure is immense right now. And what is the employability like, and was it easy to get a good job that you enjoy later on? Thank you!
Hi StaffsUniGee! That is really good that you have enjoyed the course! I was looking at concept art, but also looking at another range such as production in film and media, product design, and design for film and games. I plan on going to the art direction route, or being a set designer for films. I have so many questions by the way! What is the work like, and is it fun? Also do you get any free time and is it harder and stressful like A levels because the pressure is immense right now. And what is the employability like, and was it easy to get a good job that you enjoy later on? Thank you!

Hey!

With deciding on a course; I was a lot like you when applying for university - I wasn't sure what career I wanted and was worried I was gonna pick the wrong thing. My advice: look for a course with a lot of modules with different themes and key kills. Sometimes, when in your position, it's useful to look for a course with some Negotiated Study projects. This basically means, you define what you'll produce and get marked on. When you're not sure on your career and just wanna get a load of different experiences, a project like this is great.

It's really easy for my to say that my uni work was super fun and enjoyable, but it all relies on how you are with the course. If you start a course you really love and are passionate about - chances are you'll really enjoy it!

University work is naturally more difficult than A Level/college work, just because it's a higher level. Sometimes it can get pretty stressful. But for me, I've found it more manageable than college. Part of that is because I've only studied one subject, and it's something I'm passionate about. You still have to juggle your work a bit (as you'll have a few modules to do at the same time), but they're a lot easier to juggle, because they all inform each other.

Living away from home can also add to or relieve the stress a bit, depending on who you are. For me, it helped a lot, because I was in charge of my own timetable and didn't have to work around other people. But it can be stressful for some people, because looking after yourself can be surprisingly overwhelming. Hahaha.

Employability for Staffs graduates is fab! In fact, in 2018 they had the highest employability level in the country for graduates, six months on (from the Destination of Leavers from Higher Education survey). I haven't personally hit this part yet tho, as I'm gonna be studying postgrad. Still, I have managed to get every part time job I've applied for since starting uni, so that must mean something! Hahaha.

Something I always recommend at Staffs is looking into university or union based jobs. They're very flexible, they pay well, they can inform your uni work, and they look fab on your CV. Just something to consider when thinking about employability at university. 🙂

Hope this all makes sense! Ahahahah.

Again, let me know if there's anything I can help with!

- Ge
Sorry for the late reply! Being in contact with the course leaders will be very helpful! Thank you!

Hi @Ratchet Hoe

No worries. Which courses are you particularly interested in? Let me know and I'll DM you the course leaders details so you can hopefully find some answers to your queries and find the right course for you.

Thanks

Amy
Hi @Ratchet Hoe

No worries. Which courses are you particularly interested in? Let me know and I'll DM you the course leaders details so you can hopefully find some answers to your queries and find the right course for you.

Thanks

Amy

Right now I am interested in Concept Art, Games Art, Film television and radio, and Computer Games Design. If there are another other courses that are practical then that would be helpful if you suggest them please but I plan on doing Art Direction, or set designing for films/games
Right now I am interested in Concept Art, Games Art, Film television and radio, and Computer Games Design. If there are another other courses that are practical then that would be helpful if you suggest them please but I plan on doing Art Direction, or set designing for films/games

Great @Ratchet Hoe. I've just DM-ed you the contact details for those course leaders - feel free to drop them an email with any Qs you have.

That said; a lot of them may be on holiday right now (like teachers, this period is their main chance to take a break) so please be patient if you don't get a reply instantly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Amy
Great @Ratchet Hoe. I've just DM-ed you the contact details for those course leaders - feel free to drop them an email with any Qs you have.

That said; a lot of them may be on holiday right now (like teachers, this period is their main chance to take a break) so please be patient if you don't get a reply instantly.

Hope that helps.

Thanks

Amy

I’ve have got the message! Thank you so much!
I’ve have got the message! Thank you so much!

You're welcome @Ratchet Hoe.

Please give us a shout if we can help with anything else.

Thanks

Amy

Quick Reply

Latest