The Student Room Group

Becoming a careers adviser - Which course to choose?

Hi everyone, I would like to train as a careers adviser and I would really appreciate it if someone who knows about this area could help me:

I am undecided between studying towards a postgraduate diploma in career development or a masters in careers guidance which incorporates the Qualification in Career Development. What is the difference in career prospects? Why do some people go for a masters? Does it give an advantage towards securing a higher paid position?
Original post by Robert42
Hi everyone, I would like to train as a careers adviser and I would really appreciate it if someone who knows about this area could help me:

I am undecided between studying towards a postgraduate diploma in career development or a masters in careers guidance which incorporates the Qualification in Career Development. What is the difference in career prospects? Why do some people go for a masters? Does it give an advantage towards securing a higher paid position?

Hey, sorry you've not had an answer to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon :smile:

What interests you in each of the options? What is causing your indecision between them? :holmes:
Reply 2
Original post by shadowdweller
Hey, sorry you've not had an answer to this yet - just giving it a quick bump, so hopefully someone will be along soon :smile:

What interests you in each of the options? What is causing your indecision between them? :holmes:

Hi, thanks for your reply. I know that a masters in career guidance involves more academic study and research, but my question is if the masters is only useful for those who want an academic career in careers guidance. I was wondering if the masters will give an advantage to careers advisers who wish to take on a managerial role in their department.
Hi, thanks for your reply. I know that a masters in career guidance involves more academic study and research, but my question is if the masters is only useful for those who want an academic career in careers guidance. I was wondering if the masters will give an advantage to careers advisers who wish to take on a managerial role in their department.

That makes sense, thank you for elaborating! This isn't my area of expertise I'm afraid, but please feel free to quote me if you've not had any further responses in a couple of days, and I'll see what I can do! :biggrin:

If you look at the background of careers advisors you will invariably find that they have substantial careers behind them. I'm afraid the courses you are looking at are part of the new fashion for 'someone's bound to pay for it' courses. I strongly suspect most people who get anything from these courses are people who are already careers advisors and want to get a certificate/qualification to endorse their work, which otherwise is entirely experience based.

There's no such thing as 'an academic career in careers guidance', it's a practical job. There are very few 'pure' careers advisor roles - Universities will have between 5 and 15 careers advisors (plus additional administrative staff). Schools, if they have them, tend to use teachers who want to reduce their teaching commitment. Even independent schools with use an ex-teacher. Companies rarely have pure careers advisors, they will have HR staff who have experience in recruiting etc and can advice on career pathways within the organisation.

Careers Advisor is not really one of those jobs that you start a career in, it's a role that you drift into on an opportunity basis, once you have a deal of careers experience yourself.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending