The Student Room Group

Budgeting at uni

Perhaps it’s quite early to start thinking about budgeting since my uni place hasn’t been confirmed but I rather know now.
So, I have chosen a uni accommodation of around 6.5k( including meal plan , yep I’m catered) which leaves me with £2K + £1K scholarship, so around 3K. In all honesty, the meal plan will leave me hungry as uni food is quite pricey.

So per week...
How much would you spend on clothing?
How much would you spend on necessities ?
If you are catered, how much extra do you spend on food?
Any other expenses I should think about?
For my course, I would ofc need to purchase sthethoscope, IPad gadgets( a pen since they gives us IPads), lab coat and printing.
Reply 1
I don't think you'll be buying clothing weekly, clothing costs should be considered more over just the whole year to be honest
Original post by HappyMedic2001
Perhaps it’s quite early to start thinking about budgeting since my uni place hasn’t been confirmed but I rather know now.
So, I have chosen a uni accommodation of around 6.5k( including meal plan , yep I’m catered) which leaves me with £2K + £1K scholarship, so around 3K. In all honesty, the meal plan will leave me hungry as uni food is quite pricey.

So per week...
For my course, I would ofc need to purchase sthethoscope, IPad gadgets( a pen since they gives us IPads), lab coat and printing.

I would advise making a spreadsheet , and working out the maximum amount of money you should spend each week, and then subdivide that into food ,necessities and such. Keep a track of how much money you are actually spending each week as well. By giving yourself a budget each week, it makes sure you won't go broke by the end. Also, 3k to spare is quite a lot to spare, so it will last you throughout the year.

So per week...

it's near too early, could you switch to self catered or is it too late?
i didn't buy clothing on a weekly basis, at uni i spent i think £65 a week for everything on average including £20 on food. It's all down to you how much you spend on luxuries like nights out though, have you included a phone contract and any travel costs in that if you'll need them?
Yep, thought so. I was watxhing this YouTuber earlier that seems to keep buying clothes every week but you are right.
Original post by iseesparksfly
I don't think you'll be buying clothing weekly, clothing costs should be considered more over just the whole year to be honest
Someone who had catered told me it was a waste of money, so if you can change that i would look into it maybee
Original post by claireestelle
it's near too early, could you switch to self catered or is it too late?
i didn't buy clothing on a weekly basis, at uni i spent i think £65 a week for everything on average including £20 on food. It's all down to you how much you spend on luxuries like nights out though, have you included a phone contract and any travel costs in that if you'll need them?

I can still switch to self catered :smile: A lot of people don’t choose catered, why is that? I’m still debating whether to switch since the meal plan is £42 per week which I don’t think it’s enough to keep me well fed.

Haven’t thought of phone contracts, thanks
you can probably cook for yourself for much cheaper and still get more out of it, just look up quick and easy recipes or bulk cook
I can still switch to self catered :smile: A lot of people don’t choose catered, why is that? I’m still debating whether to switch since the meal plan is £42 per week which I don’t think it’s enough to keep me well fed.

Original post by Oscarwetnwilde
Someone who had catered told me it was a waste of money, so if you can change that i would look into it maybee

Thank you. I’m now leaning more into self catered tbh, don’t know what I was thinking in March.

So per week...

Clothing per week - £0. Only buy clothes when you need them e.g. your socks all have holes, or the colours ran on your clothes so they're ruined (happened to me!). Don't buy clothes just because you like the look of it

Necessities per week - £5ish? Depends on when they run out. Although they all tend to run out at the same time so this can end up being £10-£15 sometimes. Sometimes what I do is buy 2 or 3 of them at a time so I don't have to purchase them throughout the months. Ideally they last until the holidays and I go back home, and then I "buy" them as part of the family weekly shop (which parents pay for!)

N/A for catered

Travel costs? Wil lyou be getting the bus, walking etc.? Any medical expenses like prescriptions?

if you know how to cook, even basic meals or use an oven you can feed yourself for £20-30 a week and cooking for yourself gives you flexibility that catered doesn't , i'd be very surprised if you can't eat for £42 a week unless you have takeaway.
i can see the appeal of it tbf, easy and quick and its already paid for so you dont have to worry about budgeting it in so much... some unis seem to offer weekly plans kind of things where you can pick and choose, so you can buy a week's plan (not sure how many unis do this, have just seen it about) so that could be something good to consider at first or when you have particularity busy periods example, nottingham do a daily bites meal card, other unis seem to have meal cards too
Thank you. I’m now leaning more into self catered tbh, don’t know what I was thinking in March.

So per week...

Hey, i think on clothes thats more like a monthly treat at uni that i would spend about £30-£40 a month
necessities about £8 a week?
other expenses may be like visiting home for the weekend and going out etc?
Where have you applied?
Hope this helps & good luck!!:smile:
Sophia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending