The Student Room Group

Do you have a big family?

Families are so different from each other - big ones, small ones, really close ones, distant ones. Some people like their family, others wish they could change it. How about you? Do you have a big family? Do you like the size of your family?

Tell us about your family!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DrawTheLine
Families are so different from each other - big ones, small ones, really close ones, distant ones. Some people like their family, others wish they could change it. How about you? Do you have a big family? Do you like the size of your family?

Tell us about your family!

I've one half sister but we've a 14 year age difference so we don't have much in common, we speak to each other every couple of weeks on the phone though. I stop speaking to 2 of my 8 cousins because well they were plain awful, the other 6 i've not seen since my wedding and they all live quite far.
(edited 4 years ago)
I have 2 sisters 1 brother , i'm the oldest :colonhash:
we have such great age gaps, but we get along fine I guess
nope lol. only family i got here is my parents and half sister whos twice my age. i have no cousins, only a few 2nd cousins, no aunts or uncles and only my grandad..
yeah it means im not a family person, i have the smallest family out of everyone i know :rolleyes:
I live with my mum, dad and 2 brothers (8 and 13 years old). Have a few great aunts and 2 cousins and dat in the UK, not that close. Most of my fam lives in Nigeria.
I was an only child with no extended family local. To be honest we were happy with that. There is a lot of drama in our extended family (my grandparents on one side were alcoholics and I was raped as a child from someone on that side of the family too) that we wish to stay out of.
Original post by claireestelle
I've one half sister but we've a 14 year age difference so we don't have much in common, we speak to each other every couple of weeks on the phone though. I stop speaking to 2 of my 8 cousins because well they were plain awful, the other 6 i've not seen since my wedding and they all live quite far.

That's a shame when family members turn out to be not very good people. Everyone always says family is forever but just because you share the same blood doesn't mean you have to like them!

Original post by HumbleBee_x
I have 2 sisters 1 brother , i'm the oldest :colonhash:
we have such great age gaps, but we get along fine I guess

How big are the age gaps?

Original post by lilTrain
nope lol. only family i got here is my parents and half sister whos twice my age. i have no cousins, only a few 2nd cousins, no aunts or uncles and only my grandad..
yeah it means im not a family person, i have the smallest family out of everyone i know :rolleyes:

Are you close with your family? Sometimes small ones can be some of the closest around

Original post by Obolinda
I live with my mum, dad and 2 brothers (8 and 13 years old). Have a few great aunts and 2 cousins and dat in the UK, not that close. Most of my fam lives in Nigeria.

Do you get along with your brothers? How often do you see your family in Nigeria?
Original post by sinfonietta
I was an only child with no extended family local. To be honest we were happy with that. There is a lot of drama in our extended family (my grandparents on one side were alcoholics and I was raped as a child from someone on that side of the family too) that we wish to stay out of.

I'd want to stay out of that too!
That's a shame when family members turn out to be not very good people. Everyone always says family is forever but just because you share the same blood doesn't mean you have to like them!

How big are the age gaps?

Are you close with your family? Sometimes small ones can be some of the closest around

Do you get along with your brothers? How often do you see your family in Nigeria?

yes, i think you don't chose your family for the most part (counting spouses as family) but you can choose to have good friends which really helped with the crappy cousin situation.
Yes, I do. They're annoying a bit, but that's typical. Not that big of an age gap too.

Have never been back to Nigeria. Was born there but left as a baby.
Mom & Dad
2 brothers. Age gap of 2 years and the other 10 years.
Not big at all compared to my uncles & aunties
yes, i think you don't chose your family for the most part (counting spouses as family) but you can choose to have good friends which really helped with the crappy cousin situation.

Friends are often family, sometimes even more so than actual family!

Original post by Obolinda
Yes, I do. They're annoying a bit, but that's typical. Not that big of an age gap too.

Have never been back to Nigeria. Was born there but left as a baby.

Do you want to go back and visit one day? I can imagine having two brothers is a bit annoying!
My dads side of the family is pretty big, most live in Iran though, so unless I visit them (which I haven't in years) I don't see them. One of my uncles lives here, and we see them whenever my dad isn't arguing with him (which is often lol) and another in Germany, I refuse to speak with him. I have so many cousins, I don't even know all their names. Although, one holiday I met a cousin who was like 50, which was weird.

My mum's family is quite big too (though not as big as my dad's), we don't really talk to her family (aside from her older brother), mainly because my aunty is a moron and has basically made it so my mum's younger brother also doesn't like us.

My grandparents aren't alive.

I'm close with my mum. I have an older brother, we get on better than we did as children, but still can be difficult. I don't get on with my dad, and I rarely give him the time of day, because he's abusive, and I don't have time for people like him.
Definitely want to go back and visit!
Yes, it is! Being the oldest as well :lol:
Do you want to go back and visit one day? I can imagine having two brothers is a bit annoying!
Friends are often family, sometimes even more so than actual family!

i consider my friends to be like sisters to me with the big positive impact they have on my life.
Reply 15
I wouldn't say it's big in the grand scheme of things. I have several cousins ect ect but I don't actually see most of my family. Really just my Dad, Mum, Brother, 1 Cousin, Aunt and Grandad :smile:
Original post by HappyMedic2001
Mom & Dad
2 brothers. Age gap of 2 years and the other 10 years.
Not big at all compared to my uncles & aunties

Are you close with them or is it more of a "we live together but don't really interact much" kind of family? (like mine)

i consider my friends to be like sisters to me with the big positive impact they have on my life.

That's awesome that you have friends like that, they can really change your life around

Original post by 8472
I wouldn't say it's big in the grand scheme of things. I have several cousins ect ect but I don't actually see most of my family. Really just my Dad, Mum, Brother, 1 Cousin, Aunt and Grandad :smile:

Are you close with the ones you see regularly?
my dad's side of the family is pretty big, most of them live in Turkey. Im the youngest of 5 siblings, I have 4 older brothers
Original post by Pathway
My dads side of the family is pretty big, most live in Iran though, so unless I visit them (which I haven't in years) I don't see them. One of my uncles lives here, and we see them whenever my dad isn't arguing with him (which is often lol) and another in Germany, I refuse to speak with him. I have so many cousins, I don't even know all their names. Although, one holiday I met a cousin who was like 50, which was weird.

My mum's family is quite big too (though not as big as my dad's), we don't really talk to her family (aside from her older brother), mainly because my aunty is a moron and has basically made it so my mum's younger brother also doesn't like us.

My grandparents aren't alive.

I'm close with my mum. I have an older brother, we get on better than we did as children, but still can be difficult. I don't get on with my dad, and I rarely give him the time of day, because he's abusive, and I don't have time for people like him.

I'm sorry you've had some family troubles, it can be tricky to deal with especially when young. I'm pleased you have some good ones though!
Original post by Wooord
my dad's side of the family is pretty big, most of them live in Turkey. Im the youngest of 5 siblings, I have 4 older brothers

Oh wow, 4 older brothers! What was that like growing up?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending