The Student Room Group

Is it possible to score a 2:1 or a low 1st?

Hey, I've just been hit with a random shot of panic. so I've decided to ask for some advice.

I scored a high 2:2 - 57 in second year, but I really was hoping to gain a 2:1 or a first overall for my degree.

The weighting for second year is 40% and final year is 60%. I'm worried that because second year does account for a lot, that it is not realistic as a goal.

Is this even possible?

Please help!!
Reply 1
It'll be difficult, but you can definitely achieve a 2:1. But a first class will require you to achieve everything close to a first.
If you want hard numbers, a 2:1 requires at least 62% next year. A first would need 78.7%. So a 2:1 is entirely possible, but a first is unlikely unless you do everything perfectly.
Reply 3
Hello,

Thank you for your reply!

So there is definite scope for a 2:1? I really wouldn't mind achieving that! I know I am capable - the issue in the past has been starting assignments really late, and then struggling to finish them off to an adequate standard. So I'm definitely aware of some of my wrongdoings and am definitely looking to right them!

Original post by GiveMeCoffee4
If you want hard numbers, a 2:1 requires at least 62% next year. A first would need 78.7%. So a 2:1 is entirely possible, but a first is unlikely unless you do everything perfectly.
Original post by Anonymous
Hey, I've just been hit with a random shot of panic. so I've decided to ask for some advice.

I scored a high 2:2 - 57 in second year, but I really was hoping to gain a 2:1 or a first overall for my degree.

The weighting for second year is 40% and final year is 60%. I'm worried that because second year does account for a lot, that it is not realistic as a goal.

Is this even possible?

Please help!!

As above, you need 62 to achieve 60 overall. But check your degree regulations as most unis have alternative methods of upgrading near misses, particularly those who improve in third year.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Hello,

Thank you also for your reply!

I had no idea about this! Say my uni did have something like that in place, what kinda methods would there be available? Is this something that could really benefit me?
Original post by ageshallnot
As above, you need 62 to achieve 60 overall. But check your degree regulations as most unis have alternative methods of upgrading near misses, particularly those who improve in third year.
Hello,

Thank you also for your reply!

I had no idea about this! Say my uni did have something like that in place, what kinda methods would there be available? Is this something that could really benefit me?

You need to check your degree regulations for the exact terms ( and not every uni does this) but it's usually along the lines of...

Candidates within 1 or 2 pc of the higher classification will be upgraded if they achieve x credits at the higher level in year 3.

Which uni are you at?
Reply 7
I've seen some people mention that on other threads. I'm not sure if my uni does that, I'm at Uni of Lei and I feel like they'd only do that for mitigating circumstances, which I do have - however I don't think my circumstances are serious enough for such a consideration. Again, I'm not entirely sure!
Original post by ageshallnot
You need to check your degree regulations for the exact terms ( and not every uni does this) but it's usually along the lines of...

Candidates within 1 or 2 pc of the higher classification will be upgraded if they achieve x credits at the higher level in year 3.

Which uni are you at?
I've seen some people mention that on other threads. I'm not sure if my uni does that, I'm at Uni of Lei and I feel like they'd only do that for mitigating circumstances, which I do have - however I don't think my circumstances are serious enough for such a consideration. Again, I'm not entirely sure!

Leicester have different ways of classifying candidates as well as mechanisms for upgrading borderline cases. It's nothing to do with mitigating circumstances.

Is this even possible?

Please help!!

Hey, yes it is if you are willing to work hard! My friend averaged at a 2;2 second year and has just graduated with a first but she worked really hard for it! You can see advisors at uni to help you work out what you need so maybe as when you get back for an appointment? :smile:
Sophia
So there's hope?! Thank you for this! I'm definitely determined to do better next year! I have been in contact w my supervisor for my dissertation - I wanted to start in advance. But I'll deffo take up your advice in contacting an advisor for extra guidance in general!
Original post by hallamstudents
Hey, yes it is if you are willing to work hard! My friend averaged at a 2;2 second year and has just graduated with a first but she worked really hard for it! You can see advisors at uni to help you work out what you need so maybe as when you get back for an appointment? :smile:
Sophia

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending