Getting a Student Loan for 2019/2020 As a Returning Student Watch

venny123
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 5 months ago
Hello to everyone!

I am writing to explain my (peculiar) situation.

In 2013/2014, I'd attended Coventry University where I successfully passed my first year. However, at around that time I'd suffered from a serious illness which took me off course for quite some time, about a year as far as I can remember. For that reason, I had to take a gap year to recover. After that gap year passed, I decided I will get back to university, but this time I'd transfer to London Metropolitan to continue straight into my 2nd year and so I did. But then things happened and I was forced to cancel my studies in London Metropolitan even before the year started (this happened in September, 2015).

It's been a few years during which I wasn't capable to continue with my education. But this past Winter, I decided that I will try one last time to get my life together and hopefully finish my education in London Metropolitan. So, I applied again, and this time I asked them if it is possible to take into consideration that one year I'd already passed in Coventry, hence continue straight in Stage 2 without having to start all over again.

I applied through UCAS and waited patiently. Ultimately, they sent me an unconditional offer allowing me to continue directly in Stage 2. So far so good, but now I am having hard times figuring out whether the Student Finance company will allow me to get a loan to fund my 2019/2020 academic year.

I contacted them earlier this year, in March to be exact. The lady on the phone was very polite and after having listened to me carefully explaining my situation, she told me that I should wait for them to release EU 19N application form, fill it out, and send it back to Darlington, where they will review it and give me a final decision. But she also assured me that I am still eligible for the loan and it shouldn't be a problem to get one for my 2019/2020 academic year.

Well, I waited patiently and finally there it was. So, I downloaded it, printed it out, filled it out, and sent it back to them. In about two weeks, I’d received two letters in my post from Student Finance Company. The first one stated that I did not include an personal identification document i.e. a copy of my identity card – something which was mandatory to students from Ireland/Scotland only, and I am applying for funding in England so it made no sense. The second letter stated that I had sent the application form for the wrong academic year – meaning that I shouldn’t have sent them the application form for 2019/2020, but for 2018/2019 which makes no sense either since my year starts in September 2019.

So, I am asking – what exactly is the problem here and how am I supposed to deal with this issue? Should I call them and ask them personally? I also want to mention that I had been given a loan when I studied in Coventry back in 2013/2014 which I have not started repaying yet because I’d never reached the minimum threshold. But the other day I logged into my SLC account and saw they’ve been adding interest on this loan for all those past years and keep doing so. They ask me for my employment details and stuff like that and say that once I provide them with those details they will stop adding interest. But truth is, I am unemployed. So kind of confused about that one as well.

Could this loan I had taken before make me ineligible to get the funding I need from SLC for my next academic year – 2019/2020?

Also, what would you recommend me do, should I resend them the application form, and if so, for which year – 2018/2019, or 2019/2020?

There is so many questions and I am confused. I would be so grateful, and I hope that somebody can shed some light on this whole (peculiar) situation.

Thank you, really.
SFE Chanel
Badges: 8
Rep:
?
Report 5 months ago
(Original post by venny123)
Hello to everyone!

I am writing to explain my (peculiar) situation.

In 2013/2014, I'd attended Coventry University where I successfully passed my first year. However, at around that time I'd suffered from a serious illness which took me off course for quite some time, about a year as far as I can remember. For that reason, I had to take a gap year to recover. After that gap year passed, I decided I will get back to university, but this time I'd transfer to London Metropolitan to continue straight into my 2nd year and so I did. But then things happened and I was forced to cancel my studies in London Metropolitan even before the year started (this happened in September, 2015).

It's been a few years during which I wasn't capable to continue with my education. But this past Winter, I decided that I will try one last time to get my life together and hopefully finish my education in London Metropolitan. So, I applied again, and this time I asked them if it is possible to take into consideration that one year I'd already passed in Coventry, hence continue straight in Stage 2 without having to start all over again.

I applied through UCAS and waited patiently. Ultimately, they sent me an unconditional offer allowing me to continue directly in Stage 2. So far so good, but now I am having hard times figuring out whether the Student Finance company will allow me to get a loan to fund my 2019/2020 academic year.

I contacted them earlier this year, in March to be exact. The lady on the phone was very polite and after having listened to me carefully explaining my situation, she told me that I should wait for them to release EU 19N application form, fill it out, and send it back to Darlington, where they will review it and give me a final decision. But she also assured me that I am still eligible for the loan and it shouldn't be a problem to get one for my 2019/2020 academic year.

Well, I waited patiently and finally there it was. So, I downloaded it, printed it out, filled it out, and sent it back to them. In about two weeks, I’d received two letters in my post from Student Finance Company. The first one stated that I did not include an personal identification document i.e. a copy of my identity card – something which was mandatory to students from Ireland/Scotland only, and I am applying for funding in England so it made no sense. The second letter stated that I had sent the application form for the wrong academic year – meaning that I shouldn’t have sent them the application form for 2019/2020, but for 2018/2019 which makes no sense either since my year starts in September 2019.

So, I am asking – what exactly is the problem here and how am I supposed to deal with this issue? Should I call them and ask them personally? I also want to mention that I had been given a loan when I studied in Coventry back in 2013/2014 which I have not started repaying yet because I’d never reached the minimum threshold. But the other day I logged into my SLC account and saw they’ve been adding interest on this loan for all those past years and keep doing so. They ask me for my employment details and stuff like that and say that once I provide them with those details they will stop adding interest. But truth is, I am unemployed. So kind of confused about that one as well.

Could this loan I had taken before make me ineligible to get the funding I need from SLC for my next academic year – 2019/2020?

Also, what would you recommend me do, should I resend them the application form, and if so, for which year – 2018/2019, or 2019/2020?

There is so many questions and I am confused. I would be so grateful, and I hope that somebody can shed some light on this whole (peculiar) situation.

Thank you, really.
Hi,

Please contact us direct so we can look into this for you. You can send us a message on Twitter or Facebook or call us on 0300 100 0607.

Thanks, Chanel
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Have you voted in today's general election?

Yes (133)
48.36%
No (36)
13.09%
I'm not old enough (106)
38.55%

Watched Threads