The Student Room Group

UKMT thread-2019/20

Here's a thread all about preparing for UKMT exams this academic year! Based on the2018-2019 thread.

Dates of this year's Challenges:

Senior Maths Challenge- Thursday 7th Nov 2019
Intermediate Maths Challenge- Thursday 6th Feb 2020
Junior Maths Challenge- Thursday 30th April 2020

Dates of this year's follow-on rounds:

Senior Kangaroo- Friday 29th November 2019
British Mathematical Olympiad Round One- Friday 29th November 2019
British Mathematical Olympiad Round Two- Thursday 30th January 2020
Intermediate Kangaroo- Thursday 19th March 2020
Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad- Thursday 19th March 2020
Junior Kangaroo- Tuesday 9th June 2020
Junior Mathematical Olympiad- Tuesday 9th June 2020

UKMT Website- [url]https://www.ukmt.org.uk/
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Does anyone know roughly how many year 9s get through to the senior Kangaroo and BMO?
[quote="ImAPenguin;84294082"]Here's a thread all about preparing for UKMT exams this academic year! Based on the2018-2019 thread.

Dates of this year's Challenges:

Senior Maths Challenge- Thursday 2nd Nov 2019
Intermediate Maths Challenge- Thursday 6th Feb 2020
Junior Maths Challenge- Thursday 30th April 2020

Dates of this year's follow-on rounds:

Senior Kangaroo- Friday 29th November 2019
British Mathematical Olympiad Round One- Friday 29th November 2019
British Mathematical Olympiad Round Two- Thursday 30th January 2020
Intermediate Kangaroo- Thursday 19th March 2020
Intermediate Mathematical Olympiad- Thursday 19th March 2020
Junior Kangaroo- Tuesday 9th June 2020
Junior Mathematical Olympiad- Tuesday 9th June 2020

UKMT Website- https://www.ukmt.org.uk/

Idk but i want to get into bmo this year in the smc and Im in year 8 rn. Im have all the art of problem solving books so im gonna finish intro to nt and intro to algebra by then.
Original post by anonymous685
Idk but i want to get into bmo this year in the smc and Im in year 8 rn. Im have all the art of problem solving books so im gonna finish intro to nt and intro to algebra by then.

Are you going to be in year 9 in November(when the BMO takes place)?and did you get into the jmo or Cayley last year or would this be your first Olympiad?
(edited 4 years ago)
I am in going into Year 10 and hoping to get an Olympiad. Last year I got a Grey Kangaroo. In the challenge I got 95 points, but in the Kanagroo I managed to achieve 135 (full marks). This year I am trying to go for the Olympiad, can anyone who has already done it help me, in terms of prepping for it, and what I should do?
Original post by ImAPenguin
Does anyone know roughly how many year 9s get through to the senior Kangaroo and BMO?

Not a lot, in fact, probably none at all. Most of the people who qualify, particularly for BMO are studying Maths at A-Level and Further Maths. However, last year, when i was in year 9, i took part in the senior maths challenge and managed to get 70/125 which got me a silver. i doubt many people in y9 get past a gold, for the senior one. but good luck, and dont let this stop you. its just the facts :frown:
Reply 6
How did you do on past papers (challenges and the extended investigations, olympiads, ...)? I thought 91 was the y9 olympiad qualification this year (99 for y10)?

The obvious advice is to do a reasonable number of past papers, get your algebra, geometry and problem solving skills up to a decent level, ... Ukmt has a book about the IMO as well as past papers for challenge, .... Key thing is often to reflect about both correct and incorrect solutions. Get yourself on the mentoring program if you can etc.

Original post by Isaac_hunt
I am in going into Year 10 and hoping to get an Olympiad. Last year I got a Grey Kangaroo. In the challenge I got 95 points, but in the Kanagroo I managed to achieve 135 (full marks). This year I am trying to go for the Olympiad, can anyone who has already done it help me, in terms of prepping for it, and what I should do?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 7
IMO questions from Bath are now available
https://www.imo-official.org/problems.aspx
Anyone go to one of the National Summer schools/
The only time I got something from this was in Year 8 when I guessed ALL of the answers. Still haven’t received my certificate 😂😅
I’m hoping to get through to kangaroo this year but I don’t rate my chances of getting in😂
hey u guys
is it possible to do multiple maths challenges in the same academic year (e.g. intermediate and senior)
Original post by anujann6297
hey u guys
is it possible to do multiple maths challenges in the same academic year (e.g. intermediate and senior)

yes, i took both in year 11
hey u guys
hey u guys

Yeah, last year I took junior and intermediate and this year I’m taking intermediate and senior but you’ll have to check with your school if you’re allowed to do both.
Oh, hi Penguin. I think we've talked before. I'm doing senior and intermediate as well this year. Hoping to get senior kangaroo but aiming for bmo1. Im in year 9 right now. Can get 22-25 on most intermediate maths challenge papers and 17-20 on the senior ones. Did all the intermediate papers up to 2008 and understood the solutions (for most of the problems), but I'm not bothered to do 2004 through 2007.
Reply 15
Hi.
Who is ready for SMC.
Original post by Hk18768
Hi.
Who is ready

HI. How are you preparing?
Reply 17
HI. How are you preparing?

actually not that bad.
Last week I have finished all SMC past papers although my avarage was quite low(about 20-22).
Do you know if it is important to know graph theory for it.
Original post by Hk18768
actually not that bad.
Last week I have finished all SMC past papers although my avarage was quite low(about 20-22).
Do you know if it is important to know graph theory for it.

WHat year and 20-22 questions? Geez thats good. And no, you don't need to know graph theory.
Reply 19
WHat year and 20-22 questions? Geez thats good. And no, you don't need to know graph theory.

Currently I`m in year 11.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending