The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hey there!

Applying for GEM 2020 entry.
I have a 2:1 degree in BSc Neuroscience and planning to sit my UKCAT in July.

Work Experience:
Worked as a care assistant in a nursing home during undergrad degree (approx 5 months)
Starting a 4-day shadowing placement tomorrow on AMU hospital ward.
Currently trying to find an NHS HCA position but proving quite difficult!
Original post by 548
Hey Guys,

I know it's pretty early, but I wanted to start a thread for people applying to Warwick's Graduate Medicine Programme so that we could all share tips and advice.

Please introduce yourself: i.e degree, work experience etc!

Ive finished university and at the moment I'm preparing for the UKCAT and working part time as an HCA. Looking for other experiences too.

Almost completely stolen, word for word from the past thread.
Hey. I’m a former barrister (law undergrad, no science background); been working as an HCA in a dementia care home for the past 13 months. Also have a Bank Nursing Assistant position at an inner city hospital. Additionally, doing some shadowing of an anaesthetist at Great Ormond Street Hospital soon. Warwick is the only place I can realistically apply to, so pinning all my hopes on them 😁 thoroughly enjoyed the Open Day up there.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hello! I am also hoping to apply to Warwick for 2020 entry so will be following this thread closely. I did BSc Biochemistry and finished an MSc last year. Currently working as an NHS bank HCA and UCAT is booked for August.
Reply 4
Hi! I'm also planning on applying for 2020 entry. I have a 2:1, a Masters, and half a PhD (which I'll be converting to a second masters), all in music, so have a solid humanities background but haven't studied science since GCSE. About to start full-time work as an HCA at a big London hospital (whenever they *finally* finish all the recruitment checks and give me a start date—grrrrr...), and am in the process of setting up some shadowing and/or volunteer work this summer and autumn. Have done other bits and pieces of people-centred work over the years, but nothing involving caring for patients or medical shadowing until now. I'm planning to sit the UCAT in August/early September (trying to find that balance between giving myself time to prepare and not leaving it totally to the last minute).

Just got home from today's open day, where I had a great time and definitely feel encouraged to apply! I love what I've seen of the course and the people on it/applying for it, and am excited to get stuck in to applying. Warwick and Newcastle are my only realistic options for this application cycle unless I can face down the dreaded GAMSAT in September! I unfortunately didn't manage to swap contact details with any of the people I met today, so am really looking forward to watching this thread grow and sharing our thoughts and experiences over the coming months.
hiya! I am also planing to apply to Warwick medical school for 2020. I am currently in my last year of adult nursing. therefor I have various experiences within different healthcare settings as well as a bank HCA at the local hospital - been doing it for a year and a half! got ucat booked for July and stated to write my personal statement. good luck to everyone applying :smile:
Hi Im Em!

BSc Biological Sciences (predicted 1:1)
HCA for 7 months Nov - May
Residential Children's Support worker ( Current)
NcS senior Coordinator/ Designated safeguarding Lead.
First Aid level 3

soon to be shadowing sports physiotherapist and searching for other shadowing.

UCAT will be booked for late August.
Hi, I'm Shannon :smile:
BSc Biomedical Science - predicted either 2.1 or 1st.
Pharmacy assistant for 3 years - but that's unfortunately four months out of date for Warwick :frown:
Volunteering at a care home this summer, alongside shadowing a GP at the local surgery.
I've also been a mentor for the past year for students on my course going into their 1st year.
UCAT booked for mid August,
Is everyone else absolutely terrified of this? :colondollar:

Also where is everyone else applying? I'm also applying for Swansea, Bart's and Nottingham
Reply 8
Hi, I’m Tin :smile:

I did an international relations degree (BA) and graduated in 2017 with a 2.1.

I’ve got 3 years experience as a carer for dementia patients at a care home.
I’ve also done 1 week work shadowing in a&e and 3 days rotating in a&e, cardiology and medicine.

Just did my UCAT on Monday and got 722.5 average with 670 on VR, which hopefully is enough for Warwick :smile:.

I’m also applying to Barts undergraduate, Newcastle GEM and Southampton GEM
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi! I'm Alysid

I finished with a B.S in Neuroscience and a minor in Psychology from Washington State University in 2018 in the United States. I will be applying to Warwick medical school GEM 2020 as an international student. I've done research all 4 years of college (writing my honors thesis on Parkinson drug metabolism), I worked as a medical scribe in the ER for a year and I'm currently shadowing a neurologist. I've signed up to take the UCAT in September 2019.

I will be moving to the UK in September 2019 and was wondering what kinda jobs would meet Warwick's work experience requirements? I've already scribed for a year in the U.S but I need more hands on patient care. I was hoping to get some advice/recommendations about what jobs I could apply for through NHS?

I will also be applying to Newcastle, Nottingham and Swansea (all GEM)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Hey :smile:, their website is pretty detailed about it all:
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/workex/#reqs. They specify what they do and don’t accept.

I would suggest applying to become a healthcare assistant through the NHS website, just google ‘NHS jobs.’ Likewise, look at applying to different care homes as a carer or healthcare assistant through google/indeed.com or other online recruitment websites. Also consider applying to volunteering positions via the NHS, so check out the website of individual NHS hospitals you want to volunteer at. Or look at volunteering at local care homes to you when you move over. Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by alysidferns
Hi! I'm Alysid

I finished with a B.S in Neuroscience and a minor in Psychology from Washington State University in 2018 in the United States. I will be applying to Warwick medical school GEM 2020 as an international student. I've done research all 4 years of college (writing my honors thesis on Parkinson drug metabolism), I worked as a medical scribe in the ER for a year and I'm currently shadowing a neurologist. I've signed up to take the UCAT in September 2019.

I will be moving to the UK in September 2019 and was wondering what kinda jobs would meet Warwick's work experience requirements? I've already scribed for a year in the U.S but I need more hands on patient care. I was hoping to get some advice/recommendations about what jobs I could apply for through NHS?

I will also be applying to Newcastle, Nottingham and Swansea (all GEM)
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey! Thank you so much! I'll be sure to check these out. Warwick's really picky about their work experience so I need to make sure I have it all ticked off before I send in an application.
Original post by TQN95
Hey :smile:, their website is pretty detailed about it all:
https://warwick.ac.uk/fac/sci/med/study/ugr/applying/entryreqs/workex/#reqs. They specify what they do and don’t accept.

I would suggest applying to become a healthcare assistant through the NHS website, just google ‘NHS jobs.’ Likewise, look at applying to different care homes as a carer or healthcare assistant through google/indeed.com or other online recruitment websites. Also consider applying to volunteering positions via the NHS, so check out the website of individual NHS hospitals you want to volunteer at. Or look at volunteering at local care homes to you when you move over. Hope this helps :smile:
Hi,

Graduated with a 2:1 in MPharm in 2016.
Worked as a hospital pharmacist for 2 years.
Volunteered at a youth club supervising kids and helping set up the youth club.
Volunteered at food shelters distributing food to homeless.
Shadowed consultants during ward round for a few days (ITU)

UCAT in September. Didn't do too well last year, however I must admit my preparation was pretty awful, which I've improved on this year.
Reply 13
Hello Guys, I graduated my Biomed degree with a 2.2 and a distinction Masters. I have a MSc in Physician Associate studies and over 1500 hours of medical experience as a PA in the UK. I will be applying for the Sept 2020 entry. UKCAT booked for September. Unfortunately, since I got a 2.2 this is my only UKCAT choice
Original post by make_me_a_medic
Hey Guys,

I know it's pretty early, but I wanted to start a thread for people applying to Warwick's Graduate Medicine Programme so that we could all share tips and advice.

Please introduce yourself: i.e degree, work experince etc!

I'm in my final year university studying neuroscience and at the moment I'm preparing for the UKCAT and working part time as an HCA.

Hi,

I'm 23 and a BioSci Graduate
I am currently working fulltime and gathering all my experience for Grad Entry Med

I currently have 2.5yrs HCA
2 bouts of hospital week long experiences
Various charity initiatives and currently applying to volunteer in a hospice to ensure I have enough references and hrs within the time frame.

Booked my UCAT for September and procrastinating beginning studying after getting an average score last year.

How is everyone preparing for the UCAT? Any advice on where to start would be much appreciated.
I have over 70 hours of work experience, as well as being first author on a published clinical paper. I really messed up my UCAT, should I bother applying or would it be a waste of one of my 4 options?

On their website it says that the cutoff score for interviews in 2019 was 2570 which is only 20 points above my score.

My score was 2550 with:
VR: 570
Dm:630
QR:670
AR:670
SJT: band 2
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi, I'm 21, just graduated with a psychology degree and hope to sit the UCAT end of August. I have just started working as a mental health support worker (hopefully to account for 50 hours) and I have booked GP shadowing. I will also try and get volunteer work at a care home (though I'm not sure this would count as it's not in an NHS environment). Is this enough work experience as it will meet the minimum requirement? Should I try to get more in or do they just see if you've got the minimum?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by ryphilli
I have over 70 hours of work experience, as well as being first author on a published clinical paper. I really messed up my UCAT, should I bother applying or would it be a waste of one of my 4 options?

On their website it says that the cutoff score for interviews in 2019 was 2570 which is only 20 points above my score.

My score was 2550 with:

Hey, I would definetly apply, we don't know the national average yet and if there's a downward shift, the cut off could go down!
Original post by ryphilli

My score was 2550 with:

As you will likely know, just keep an eye on the national mean average for the VR once the interim results are published, as the first Warwick 'cull' will be based on that. On past performance 570 is likely to be tight.
Just got 630 on my UCAT. However I did do relatively well in the VR section (700). I have a 1st class degree and a post graduate diploma. Do you think Warwick is non-starter for me?