The Student Room Group

Do you have to be attractive to become a lawyer?

I'm a girl, and I live in a country that is very looks-focused, but I am planning to go pursue Law in the UK. People often rate me as a 7/10 in my looks, and I am thin, but I am planning to get a nose job and some other procedures done before I head abroad for university.

How important are looks in advancing your career as a lawyer?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Would a degree in English law be applicable abroad anyway?
But to answer your question, no.
I know some unattractive people who study law. Where did this stereotype come from :lol:
Original post by deathray65
I'm a girl, and I live in a country that is very looks-focused, but I am planning to go pursue Law in the UK. People often rate me as a 7/10 in my looks, and I am thin, but I am planning to get a nose job and some other procedures done before I head abroad for university.

Smart, intelligent and determined are the biggest ones plus maybe well connected. Looks do you no harm, but it applies to life in general.
Original post by Sinnoh

Says in the UK.
Reply 5
Original post by Sinnoh

I live in Asia but I'm planning to pursue Law in a UK university and find a job there
If you're a 7/10, I'd say that's considered very attractive anyway.

I suppose in corporate environments, there probably is a subconscious bias in favour of physically attractive people. But I wouldn't say you "have to be attractive" to succeed in law.
God help us all if success is all down to looks.. surely if you are a fantastic at the job itself, and build yourself a reputation, you will be successful.

@Notoriety

Well if it is, then I'm screwed :rofl:

But no really, I've met a few lawyers at networking events and they're not all pretty. Though still competent and legally qualified all the same.
Need stature and biceps without a doubt
I'm a girl haha
Original post by Notoriety
Need stature and biceps without a doubtI
One of my sons' friends has got an offer from law school. He looks positively presidential. But we'll see what a good lawyer he will make.
Need stature and biceps without a doubt
I'm a girl haha

Prepare your inbox for DMs.

No you don't need to be attractive. No doubt is a bonus and makes you more valuable, but it's all about being able to do the monotonous job of lawyering.
I'm a girl haha

Better get working those biceps then, gurl :dumbells:
PRSOM

Somewhere like LA may be more looks focussed, but in the UK, I hope not
Original post by MidgetFever
Better get working those biceps then, gurl :dumbells:
Original post by Oxford Mum
One of my sons' friends has got an offer from law school. He looks positively presidential. But we'll see what a good lawyer he will make.

Like Saddam?
Original post by Oxford Mum
God help us all if success is all down to looks.. surely if you are a fantastic at the job itself, and build yourself a reputation, you will be successful.

Imo it doesnt do you any harm.
What? you mean Saddam Hussein?

Nah, he's an amazing person. He has just finished a degree in Physics. Entered a national inter uni mooting competition and beat all the law students.
Like Saddam?
I live in Asia but I'm planning to pursue Law in a UK university and find a job there

Dont underestimate the difficulty of just coming to the UK and getting yourself a legal career. It is competitive and immigration restrictions makes it difficult.

Quick Reply

Latest