The Student Room Group

Does the university ranking really matter?

QMUL, Royal Holloway, Kings College London, City/Cass, Herts, Middlesex, UWL or Kingston. Which one is better?
Reply 1
I've always found the general university rankings to be a bit useless, because you should think about a course first and foremost and only then look at universities. If a university is highly-ranked in general but seems godawful for the course you want then don't go.
So what course(s) have you got in mind?
Reply 2
Something accounting, management, finance, economics, business related. I'm still not 100% sure :confused:
Original post by Sinnoh
I've always found the general university rankings to be a bit useless, because you should think about a course first and foremost and only then look at universities. If a university is highly-ranked in general but seems godawful for the course you want then don't go.
So what course(s) have you got in mind?
Original post by a198
Something accounting, management, finance, economics, business related. I'm still not 100% sure :confused:

Do you live in London?
Reply 4
yes
Original post by PQ
Do you live in London?
Reply 5
i feel like kcl or qmul are best ones on that list for you then
Original post by a198
Reply 6
Original post by a198
QMUL, Royal Holloway, Kings College London, City/Cass, Herts, Middlesex, UWL or Kingston. Which one is better?

Matters to an extent and depends on what you want to do after graduating. More generally speaking, higher ranked uni tend to have more Opportunity for students to build their CV. If you're thinking of working in finance, then KCL, Cass are the best option (due to their network and presence within the sector). If anything else that isn't competitive, it wont matter as much tbh
The one that is ranked best isn't always the one that is best for you- it's best to be in an environment you feel happy in, that has a course that matches your interests/aspirations and has a style of assessment that suits you.

A degree is a big commitment, so why not start by visiting some open days and trying to find out more about the subjects you're interested in, and the unis.
Original post by a198
yes

Then go along to open days/campus tours etc and see the differences for yourself.
Royal Holloway is a great option :smile:
They matter to an extent - say if you had an offer from Cambridge and you turned it down because you preferred the course and vibe at Huddersfield, you’d be being stupid.

But when they’re so close together, it doesn’t really matter and no employer will care if your university was ranked 15th or 22nd. Just go to the place where you feel you’re most likely to succeed.
Hey @a198

Making your mind up about University and even choosing a course can be daunting. I'd suggest, first thinking about what subject has the potential to keep you motivated for three-years. You'd have to find something you're passionate about and something that generally aligns to your interests, which might be a good first step. Once you are pretty certain about what you'd like to study, explore the universities in your list for that subject and see what they have to offer. More importantly, things you should consider while you are looking at these are - teaching quality, professional accreditations, modules (things you'll be learning in detail for the next 3 years, year on year) and industry links and or placement opportunities.

Hopefully, this would be a good approach to adapt and gear towards finding the university that would be best for you.

If you need any more help, in any area, feel free to drop me a message here.

Best wishes,
Chirasree

Original post by a198
For an Asian family, yes, ranking matters a lot. I know because I'm in one.
Original post by a198

If you take away some of the subjectivity of some rankings, I think university ranking helps a bit. It gives one an understanding of a uni’s performance in relation to its peers. The main drawback is that some attributes are subjective and sometimes useless.

I think you should focus on the subject, location, community and support. At first glance, Kings appears to be the generally perceived top option.
Overall, royal Holloway are ranked highest :smile:
doesn’t matter on official ranking. i’m biased towards holloway because that’s my uni but really you have to research the course and visit ur favs.
if it helps i really like qmul and kings too.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending