The Student Room Group

Do you have to be attractive to become a lawyer?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Oxford Mum
PRSOM

Somewhere like LA may be more looks focussed, but in the UK, I hope not

I suppose there is always that stereotype: male lawyers always have one of those fancy blonde quiffs, a sharp suit and a strong dimpled chin...

But I suppose it couldn't really be further from the truth. :lol:
Reply 21
Original post by deathray65
I'm a girl, and I live in a country that is very looks-focused, but I am planning to go pursue Law in the UK. People often rate me as a 7/10 in my looks, and I am thin, but I am planning to get a nose job and some other procedures done before I head abroad for university.

How important are looks in advancing your career as a lawyer?

Pretty irrelevant. Natural charm and confidence are more important assets. Vanity is not.

If you are seriously considering a nose job and other procedures in order to pursue law, then you have your priorities backward.
Original post by Oxford Mum
What? you mean Saddam Hussein?

Nah, he's an amazing person. He has just finished a degree in Physics. Entered a national inter uni mooting competition and beat all the law students.

Ahh so the presidential which is good at mooting.
Original post by RV3112
Pretty irrelevant. Natural charm and confidence are more important assets. Vanity is not.

If you are seriously considering a nose job and other procedures in order to pursue law, then you have your priorities backward.

Why do all the lasses on TCs look like fifties then bud?
I do hope you are not being serious. As long as you are a healthy weight, clean up nicely and have an elegant dressing style you will be fine! If you are honestly a 7, why worry? Besides, being ugly might be a bonus, they might think you are a genius. It's what I tell myself anyways, helps me sleep me at night.
Reply 25
Original post by Notoriety
Why do all the lasses on TCs look like fifties then bud?

I know plenty of stunning people who didn't get training contracts as well. I don't know anyone who had surgery to improve their chances at a TC.

It's just a coincidence that most people who decide to study law have stunning outer and inner natural beauty.
Reply 26
Yes, part of the requirement is to look attractive. No no no, jesus where did this idea come from.
Original post by RV3112
I know plenty of stunning people who didn't get training contracts as well. I don't know anyone who had surgery to improve their chances at a TC.

It's just a coincidence that most people who decide to study law have stunning outer and inner natural beauty.

Yeah surgery is insecurity and a bit weird. I am sure OP looks fine.

But you are going to be a client serving role and the aim is to be personable and pleasant -- while getting the job done. It is hard for me to suppose that there is no benefit at all. As you point to, being charming and personable is key -- so why would being attractive not also help "sell" you to prospective clients? It's not PC or easy to prove -- could be subconscious in hiring.

One for the deactivated J-SP.
No. You have to be a boring old fart.

Am I right @CatusStarbright

Now that I have done my weekly tease of you, you may go about your week. 😂
wtf @J-SP DEACTIVATED?? There goes my only source of advice and hope.

But you are going to be a client serving role and the aim is to be personable and pleasant -- while getting the job done. It is hard for me to suppose that there is no benefit at all. As you point to, being charming and personable is key -- so why would being attractive not also help "sell" you to prospective clients? It's not PC or easy to prove -- could be subconscious in hiring.

(edited 4 years ago)
You are even loster.
Original post by Fermion.
I know some unattractive people who study law. Where did this stereotype come from :lol:

The Assistant District Attorneys in Law & Order.
Or I will just find someone else to annoy.
You are even loster.
Reply 33

Yeah, it would be naive to say that attractiveness has no impact on hiring decisions generally, but i've never heard that it is worse in law than other professions. On the point in bold, certainly attractiveness could form part of a persons charm and likeability.
Original post by Andrew97
No. You have to be a boring old fart.

Am I right @CatusStarbright

Now that I have done my weekly tease of you, you may go about your week. 😂

Well this thread is amusing.

The answer is that nobody really cares about your looks as long as you have what it takes. Essentially it's a case of dress smartly, know your stuff.

Shhhhh.....

Just goes to show, no one is irreplaceable.

When my daughter did her GDL she was hoping to meet lots of hot young lawyers. Needless to say, she was disappointed and not only by her lack of a training contract. You don't have to be attractive to become a lawyer, her blonde highlights and hourglass figure were completely wasted on recruiters who were apparently more interested in academic credentials :rolleyes:
Oh well I still state its a good bonus to have. I wouldnt completely dismiss its value.

So back to the question:
Do you have to be attractive to be a lawyer? No.

Will it help ? All things being equal, then yes, although things are rarely equal and the ways in which it helps may be more subtle and diverse. Cant see why people should dismiss it totally.

Should you have a nose job? In most cases no because that smacks of insecurity, but your money and body so you decide.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by 999tigger
Oh well I still state its a good bonus to have. I wouldnt completely dismiss its value.

So back to the question:
Do you have to be attractive to be a lawyer? No.

Will it help ? All things being equal, then yes, although things are rarely equal and the ways in which it helps may be more subtle and diverse. Cant see why people should dismiss it totally.

Should you have a nose job? In most cases no because that smacks of insecurity, but your money and body so you decide.

I actually agree it's a good bonus to have, I was being a bit flippant since studies show that good looking people are more likely to be offered jobs over non good looking applicants if they have the same qualifications. OP won't need a nose job to become a lawyer but I suspect has other reasons for wanting one that are linked to self confidence
Original post by harrysbar
I actually agree it's a good bonus to have, I was being a bit flippant since studies show that good looking people are more likely to be offered jobs over non good looking applicants if they have the same qualifications. OP won't need a nose job to become a lawyer but I suspect has other reasons for wanting one that are linked to self confidence

I just think some of the answers are a bit narrow minded.
I agree OP has other issues and some of the reason for a nose job are personal rather than career wise. In some cultures surgery is a lot more acceptable and a lot less of a fuss. Time would be better spent in understanding the path to making the jump and how she was going to manage it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending