The Student Room Group

How much for a basic brand new car

Hey I'm 17 and I've decided that I wanna grow up and start studying for the driving theory exam and my parents said they will pay for my lessons and I have a 4 grand savings, 2.7 grand will go on my A level exams as I'm self teaching and the rest could go towards a whip and atm I'm saving about 400 a month so by next summer I should have another 5 grand I'm just wondering how much it would cost for a brand new basic car could I get ote decent for 5 grand? I don't want a second hand whip

Scroll to see replies

*bump*
I think you should never use the word 'whip' ever again in your life referring to cars.
And buy second hand for about 1k or don't buy at all
2nd hand whip vxr astra - clean! 2L turbo charged
Original post by lconlon13
I think you should never use the word 'whip' ever again in your life referring to cars.
And buy second hand for about 1k or don't buy at all

Why 2nd hand? Especially when I would have enough money to buy a new one Its my lingo Ive lived on a council estate for 8 years
Original post by gr8wizard10
2nd hand whip vxr astra - clean! 2L turbo charged

Meh its 2nd hand but how much?
Reply 6
Original post by Mixedraceguy
Hey I'm 17 and I've decided that I wanna grow up and start studying for the driving theory exam and my parents said they will pay for my lessons and I have a 4 grand savings, 2.7 grand will go on my A level exams as I'm self teaching and the rest could go towards a whip and atm I'm saving about 400 a month so by next summer I should have another 5 grand I'm just wondering how much it would cost for a brand new basic car could I get ote decent for 5 grand? I don't want a second hand whip

Most popular first cars (that are good) are: Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa, Volkswagen polo/golf, Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo, Hyundai i10 ,Seat Ibiza, Suzuki Swift, Skoda Fabia

With that budget its not enough to buy a brand new car at all, and would need more than £7k. I'd say to just buy a good second hand one that has been maintained properly and feels almost new.
Original post by kkboyk
Most popular first cars (that are good) are: Ford Fiesta, Vauxhall Corsa, Volkswagen polo/golf, Citroen C1, Toyota Aygo, Hyundai i10 ,Seat Ibiza, Suzuki Swift, Skoda Fabia

With that budget its not enough to buy a brand new car at all, and would need more than £7k in savings.

But I could pay monthly presumably? And what happens if it gets stolen?
(edited 4 years ago)
Why 2nd hand? Especially when I would have enough money to buy a new one Its my lingo Ive lived on a council estate for 8 years

Because you can't afford a new car. You probably don't need a car either, definitely not a new one.
And I don't remember asking where you lived? You're not speaking you're typing you can type the proper word which is shorter and doesn't make you seem like you're missing a few brain cells.
Reply 9
But I could pay monthly presumably? And what happens if it gets stolen?

Only if they offer finance, but I wouldn't advice it unless your parents are willing to pay for it. Also since you're under 21 and a new driver insurance will be very costly and easily exceeds £2k a year. If it gets stolen then your insurer will cover it if its part of your contract. It will be your responsibility to ensure your car safety.

Edit: there are also additional cost such as maintenance and fuel. The more powerful the car the more it'll cost you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Because you can't afford a new car. You probably don't need a car either, definitely not a new one.
And I don't remember asking where you lived? You're not speaking you're typing you can type the proper word which is shorter and doesn't make you seem like you're missing a few brain cells.

I will be able to in a year or two
I will be able to in a year or two

There is a difference between being able to pay for something and being able to afford something
Meh its 2nd hand but how much?

bought one last week for 5.5k
Original post by kkboyk
Only if they offer finance, but I wouldn't advice it unless your parents are willing to pay for it. Also since you're under 21 and a new driver insurance will be very costly and easily exceeds £2k a year. If it gets stolen then your insurer will cover it if its part of your contract. It will be your responsibility to ensure your car safety.

Edit: there are also additional cost such as maintenance and fuel. The more powerful the car the more it'll cost you.

My parents will help me out a bit with insurance and the coat I think and I've seen some new cars which are going for around £110 a month or £5500 to £6,000which would be manageable and perhaps I could but down a deposit say 2 or 3 grand or I could just wait like two years till I have 10 grand and pay the full price
Yeah maintenence and fuel will be costly
It just might workout cheaper to get home from uni by car as I think I'll be moving to Wales and the plane costs £280 and the train is £130
There is a difference between being able to pay for something and being able to afford something

True ill have to workout the prices and do some maths perhaps some balance sheets but I think I'll be able to afford it as my parents will help me out too it just depends on how much money I will be able to accumulate while at uni
(edited 4 years ago)
True ill have to workout the prices and do some maths perhaps some balance sheets but I think I'll be able to afford it as my parents will help me out too it just depends on how much money I will be able to accumulate while at uni

But you probably don't need the car and you don't need a new one.
Why buy something you clearly will struggle to afford
Reply 16
My parents will help me out a bit with insurance and the coat I think and I've seen some new cars which are going for around £110 a month or £5500 to £6,000which would be manageable and perhaps I could but down a deposit say 2 or 3 grand or I could just wait like two years till I have 10 grand and pay the full price
Yeah maintenence and fuel will be costly
It just might workout cheaper to get home from uni by car as I think I'll be moving to Wales and the plane costs £280 and the train is £130

How long are those contracts? Are you aware they tend to be for 2-4yrs plan with additional interest? What I really want to know is: why do you want to buy a brand new car when you can buy a used one that's almost brand new, and save money? Cars depreciate in value very fast (up to 20-25% per year, so after 3 yrs it'll have decreased by at least 60% of original price). As you're young its better buying a used car that has been properly maintained and looks almost brand new (e.g. #1 and #2 are good examples).

I also study in Wales but without a car. Most students (in every uni) do not go home that often apart from end of terms. It hasn't been an inconvenience. If you are planning to travel back home often, then your maintenance cost will increase further.

By all means if you truly feel like you want a brand new car, can definitely afford to finance it and the other costs, then go for it.
(edited 4 years ago)
But you probably don't need the car and you don't need a new one.
Why buy something you clearly will struggle to afford

My parents expect me to have a car by the time I'm 20 and if its 2nd hand you wouldn't be insured to get a replacement if it was stolen?
Original post by kkboyk
How long are those contracts? Are you aware they tend to be for 2-4yrs plan with additional interest? What I really want to know is: why do you want to buy a brand new car when you can buy a used one that's almost brand new, and save money? Cars depreciate in value very fast (up to 20-25% per year, so after 3 yrs it'll have decreased by at least 60% of original price). As you're young its better buying a used car that has been properly maintained and looks almost brand new (e.g. #1 and #2 are good examples).

I also study in Wales but without a car. Most students (in every uni) do not go home that often apart from end of terms. It hasn't been an inconvenience. If you are planning to travel back home often, then your maintenance cost will increase further.

By all means if you truly feel like you want a brand new car, can definitely afford to finance it and the other costs, then go for it.

I seeCould you get insured for damage and theft if its 2nd hand?
Reply 19
I seeCould you get insured for damage and theft if its 2nd hand?

Yeah, what makes you think you can't?? Your insurance rate will depend on your driving history, the make and model of the vehicle, the level of coverage, and your insurance company.

Theft will be the least of your worries provided that you're responsible, not living in a dangerous area with high theft rate, not driving a car with high theft rate (luxury cars). By this I mean not leaving valuables inside your car, parking responsibly, locking your door etc. If you decide to buy a keyless car then the risk of theft is higher, so you'd have to invest in better security measures (e.g. steering wheel locks, tracking devices).

Quick Reply

Latest