The Student Room Group

Biology degree

My a levels are biology psychology and maths and I want to do a degree in biology/biological sciences. I feel like most other candidates are much better as they have chemistry. Can someone give me some advice on what to do or help me with this situation

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Nicesprout67
My a levels are biology psychology and maths and I want to do a degree in biology/biological sciences. I feel like most other candidates are much better as they have chemistry. Can someone give me some advice on what to do or help me with this situation

Have you checked the entry requirements for Biology degrees?
Original post by ageshallnot
Have you checked the entry requirements for Biology degrees?

Yeah, some allow you in with just biology and others say you need another science which includes maths, none of them have said that chemistry is a requirement but all I’ve been told is that chemistry is needed or I’ll struggle which makes me think universities wouldn’t accept me
Yeah, some allow you in with just biology and others say you need another science which includes maths, none of them have said that chemistry is a requirement but all I’ve been told is that chemistry is needed or I’ll struggle which makes me think universities wouldn’t accept me

If unis really wanted chemistry they would demand it. They have no desire to recruit students who can't cope.
Original post by ageshallnot
If unis really wanted chemistry they would demand it. They have no desire to recruit students who can't cope.

Well every uni I’ve looked at doesn’t need it, I guess that’s true though so I should be okay?
As your A levels meet their entry requirements, you will be fine. As the above post says, if you needed A level chemistry to cope they would ask for it.
Well every uni I’ve looked at doesn’t need it, I guess that’s true though so I should be okay?
Original post by Examsareoversoon
As your A levels meet their entry requirements, you will be fine. As the above post says, if you needed A level chemistry to cope they would ask for it.

I didn’t think of it that way if I’m honest, thank you, do you think that I’ll be at a disadvantage with psychology though because it’s supposed to be a soft subject
I didn’t think of it that way if I’m honest, thank you, do you think that I’ll be at a disadvantage with psychology though because it’s supposed to be a soft subject

Most universities give out offers to the vast majority of their applicants (think 80%+), so you will be fine as long as you are predicted to meet the entry requirements. However, for some very competitive biology courses, it may make a slight difference. Where are you thinking of applying and what sort of grades are you aiming for?
Most universities give out offers to the vast majority of their applicants (think 80%+), so you will be fine as long as you are predicted to meet the entry requirements. However, for some very competitive biology courses, it may make a slight difference. Where are you thinking of applying and what sort of grades are you aiming for?

I’ve thought of applying to Warwick Durham and oxford so far, I’m aiming for at least A*AA but preferably I would like to get A*A*A* if I can
Reply 9
I’ve seen some universities which regard psychology as one of the “additional science subjects”. As above, you won’t be at a disadvantage if you have not got Chemistry as long as Chemistry a Level is not a requirement. The only problem you could have is if you went to do a medical-related biology degree like biomed/bioengineering/biochemistry,etc where Chemistry is needed due to the biochemical elements of those courses
Original post by epicnm
I’ve seen some universities which regard psychology as one of the “additional science subjects”. As above, you won’t be at a disadvantage if you have not got Chemistry as long as Chemistry a Level is not a requirement. The only problem you could have is if you went to do a medical-related biology degree like biomed/bioengineering/biochemistry,etc where Chemistry is needed due to the biochemical elements of those courses

That’s why I’ve decided to do a pure biology only degree, I’m just hoping It’s going to be alright for top universities
(edited 4 years ago)
I’ve thought of applying to Warwick Durham and oxford so far, I’m aiming for at least A*AA but preferably I would like to get A*A*A* if I can

With those sorts of grades, your choices sound reasonable. I don't know much about biology in particular at Oxford and whether three sciences is beneficial, maybe @Oxford Mum can help?
With those sorts of grades, your choices sound reasonable. I don't know much about biology in particular at Oxford and whether three sciences is beneficial, maybe @Oxford Mum can help?

I don’t know a lot but I do know that biology and one from chemistry physics or maths is required but that’s about it
I don't any more either, maybe someone else can help. All I have is general knowledge about applying to Oxbridge!
I don’t know a lot but I do know that biology and one from chemistry physics or maths is required but that’s about it
I don't any more either, maybe someone else can help. All I have is general knowledge about applying to Oxbridge!

Do you know anything that could help it doesn’t have to be specific to biology
I know that Oxford put quite a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades when selecting who they choose for interview. I also know that they try and interview three times as many people as they make offers.
Do you know anything that could help it doesn’t have to be specific to biology
I know that Oxford put quite a lot of emphasis on GCSE grades when selecting who they choose for interview. I also know that they try and interview three times as many people as they make offers.

That ratio is scary, i guess that just makes it extremely competitive
Yeah I guess it is. A lot of courses at Oxbridge are like those kind of numbers. However, anyone who applies can get an offer, so you are still in with a chance!
That ratio is scary, i guess that just makes it extremely competitive
Yeah I guess it is. A lot of courses at Oxbridge are like those kind of numbers. However, anyone who applies can get an offer, so you are still in with a chance!

Yeah exactly this is the type of positive thinking I’m going to go in with because I guess if there’s a space on the course I can always try to get it and even if I don’t get an offer there’s always other good universities I have a chance of getting into
I don't think the answer is going to have changed since you asked this question last week...

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending