The Student Room Group

Maths GCSE after A levels?

I used be in the top set for maths but I decided to sit the foundation paper (because although I was in the top set, I wasn't naturally good at maths, I had to work my absolute arse off and my other grades suffered, which was bad for me considering I wasn't even going to take maths at a level) for GCSE. I haven't had my results yet but I'm 100% sure I've got a 5 considering I knew how to do everything on the paper. After my A levels I'm going to take a gap year, so my question is can I take the higher tier maths paper during that gap year so I can achieve a high grade in maths? If so, will this go down as an official grade that I can put on my CV too? Thank you!
Original post by anonymous11123xo
I used be in the top set for maths but I decided to sit the foundation paper (because although I was in the top set, I wasn't naturally good at maths, I had to work my absolute arse off and my other grades suffered, which was bad for me considering I wasn't even going to take maths at a level) for GCSE. I haven't had my results yet but I'm 100% sure I've got a 5 considering I knew how to do everything on the paper. After my A levels I'm going to take a gap year, so my question is can I take the higher tier maths paper during that gap year so I can achieve a high grade in maths? If so, will this go down as an official grade that I can put on my CV too? Thank you!

You can pay to retake the gcse at higher tier any time you want to. You could do it in the November resit period, in the summer of year 12 or in your gap year if you prefer. If you achieve a higher grade you can certainly list the new grade on your CV. If you were ever to apply to university through UCAS you would need to state the original grade/date as well as the new one.
Hiya! Thank you so much.
If I applied to a University and said I got a grade 5 in foundation maths (and explained the circumstance) but then said I got a, lets say, grade 9 in the first time I took the higher paper, would that put me at an advantage or disadvantage? Surely if I were to achieve that grade first time but at a later date that would mean I was capable of it in year 11? I'm not sure whether they would class it is a 'resit' as it's a paper I haven't taken before?? Do you know if they would class it as a resit or not?
Original post by gdunne42
You can pay to retake the gcse at higher tier any time you want to. You could do it in the November resit period, in the summer of year 12 or in your gap year if you prefer. If you achieve a higher grade you can certainly list the new grade on your CV. If you were ever to apply to university through UCAS you would need to state the original grade/date as well as the new one.
Hiya! Thank you so much.
If I applied to a University and said I got a grade 5 in foundation maths (and explained the circumstance) but then said I got a, lets say, grade 9 in the first time I took the higher paper, would that put me at an advantage or disadvantage? Surely if I were to achieve that grade first time but at a later date that would mean I was capable of it in year 11? I'm not sure whether they would class it is a 'resit' as it's a paper I haven't taken before?? Do you know if they would class it as a resit or not?

Most courses/universities will be happy with your original 5. If you achieve a higher grade at a later date that will be fine for meeting the requirements of any university/course that requires a higher grade. You won’t be disadvantaged.
Hiya! Thank you so much.

It’s still a resit because you are still retaking GCSE mathematics. On your GCSE certificate, it doesn’t say whether you took higher or foundation because that is not relevant. It’s nothing to worry about though - very few universities choose not to accept resit grades.
If I were to apply to Cambridge (I'm very strong in all of my other subjects) and I had achieved a grade 9 in the higher tier maths first time but during a gap year and not in year 11, would they reject me?
Original post by Joe Frazier
It’s still a resit because you are still retaking GCSE mathematics. On your GCSE certificate, it doesn’t say whether you took higher or foundation because that is not relevant. It’s nothing to worry about though - very few universities choose not to accept resit grades.
Would this still apply to Oxbridge? I'm very strong in my other subjects, so if I were to complete higher tier just at a later date and achieve a very good grade then, would Oxbridge exclude me on the basis that I didn't achieve it in Year 11?

Thanks
Most courses/universities will be happy with your original 5. If you achieve a higher grade at a later date that will be fine for meeting the requirements of any university/course that requires a higher grade. You won’t be disadvantaged.
If I were to apply to Cambridge (I'm very strong in all of my other subjects) and I had achieved a grade 9 in the higher tier maths first time but during a gap year and not in year 11, would they reject me?

Cambridge aren’t actually too fussed about GCSEs. However, obviously if you had all the same grades as someone else but they had achieved a 9 in Year 11 and you achieved a 9 two years later, they would have a better chance than you. Your best bet is to email Cambridge.
Ahh okay. Do you reckon Cambridge consider the subjects that relate to your degree the most when offering you a place? I know it sounds ridiculous but if I had mainly 7s, 8s and 9s and I got a 9 in History and applied to study it at Cambridge, surely they'd offer me a place even if I got a 5 in maths? Maths is completely unrelated to History in that sense so idk
Cambridge aren’t actually too fussed about GCSEs. However, obviously if you had all the same grades as someone else but they had achieved a 9 in Year 11 and you achieved a 9 two years later, they would have a better chance than you. Your best bet is to email Cambridge.
Ahh okay. Do you reckon Cambridge consider the subjects that relate to your degree the most when offering you a place? I know it sounds ridiculous but if I had mainly 7s, 8s and 9s and I got a 9 in History and applied to study it at Cambridge, surely they'd offer me a place even if I got a 5 in maths? Maths is completely unrelated to History in that sense so idk

Perhaps but it’s important to remember that the majority of people you are competing against will have 8s and 9s in almost all of their subjects. Which? estimates the average successful candidate has eight 8s and 9s
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/what-do-i-need-to-get-into-oxford-or-cambridge-straight-a-s
(edited 4 years ago)
Ah okay, thank you very much!
Perhaps but it’s important to remember that the majority of people you are competing against will have 8s and 9s in almost all of their subjects. Which? estimates the average successful candidate has eight 8s and 9s
https://university.which.co.uk/advice/ucas-application/what-do-i-need-to-get-into-oxford-or-cambridge-straight-a-s

Cambridge will mostly be interested in your A level predictions (A*AA) and performance in the pre-interview admissions test. They are not much interested in your GCSE except as a general performance indicator, especially in subjects unrelated to your degree.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history
Ah okay, thank you very much!
Cambridge will mostly be interested in your A level predictions (A*AA) and performance in the pre-interview admissions test. They are not much interested in your GCSE except as a general performance indicator, especially in subjects unrelated to your degree.
https://www.undergraduate.study.cam.ac.uk/courses/history

Quick Reply

Latest