The Student Room Group

University of Chester v University of Stirling

Hi! I got my results on Friday and met my conditions. Before accepting my firm with Chester I was wondering if Stirling has a better reputation overall. I didn't realize until recently that it has significantly higher ranking than Chester in most charts so I'm curious to see how known it is in the UK (I'm American).
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sierrac
Hi! I got my results on Friday and met my conditions. Before accepting my firm with Chester I was wondering if Stirling has a better reputation overall. I didn't realize until recently that it has significantly higher ranking than Chester in most charts so I'm curious to see how known it is in the UK (I'm American).

I personally would say that Stirling has a better reputation but if I were you I would not care too much about rep. Which course do you like the most? If you have had the chance to visit the universities which campus did you prefer? There's more to attending a university than reputation. What course have you applied for? Also congrats on your results!
What course are you applying for?
Reply 3
Original post by S1elyak1
I personally would say that Stirling has a better reputation but if I were you I would not care too much about rep. Which course do you like the most? If you have had the chance to visit the universities which campus did you prefer? There's more to attending a university than reputation. What course have you applied for? Also congrats on your results!

My ideal course is microbiology which Chester has but Stirling doesn't (at Stirling I applied for molecular biology). Haven't been able to visit any schools since it would be so expensive. Based on photos I find both to be super pretty but Chester as a city is more appealing. (and thank you!)
Reply 4
Microbiology at Chester and molecular at Stirling
Original post by welcometotherock
What course are you applying for?
In terms of the biological sciences there isn’t much in it Stirling is ranked slightly higher than Chester. Overall in the various league tables Stirling is more highly regarded. The other thing to take into account is that I think Scottish university degree courses are 4 years rather than 3.

I know Chester well, my daughter is at college there and it’s a beautiful city.
Reply 6
Original post by welcometotherock
In terms of the biological sciences there isn’t much in it Stirling is ranked slightly higher than Chester. Overall in the various league tables Stirling is more highly regarded. The other thing to take into account is that I think Scottish university degree courses are 4 years rather than 3.

I know Chester well, my daughter is at college there and it’s a beautiful city.

The 4 year degree is why I ended up putting it as my insurance ): when I first applied I hadn't realized that not all of the UK does 3 year ones.

Thanks so much for responding! Chester seems like a great school I guess I just wanted to see if passing up on Stirling would be considered dumb (although it doesn't seem like a very competitive uni to get into)
In terms of location, Chester is fabulous! You will love it. Don’t worry too much about the league tables. Go for the course that is right for you in terms of content and structure but, rest assured, Chester will ba a fantastic place to live for a while.
Reply 8
Original post by DaisyCharlotte
In terms of location, Chester is fabulous! You will love it. Don’t worry too much about the league tables. Go for the course that is right for you in terms of content and structure but, rest assured, Chester will ba a fantastic place to live for a while.

Thank you so much! It does seem extremely lovely and I love that it's not too far from London and other bigger cities
That makes me smile.... I guess if you are used to US distances, then Chester and London are very close together. To a Brit like me they are quite far apart 😁

You can get to London by train in 2-3 hours. You will closer to Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham, but also the coastline of North Wales and some lovely countryside. It will be a good, enteral location for exploring the UK whilst you are here. Best of luck with everything x
Reply 10
Original post by DaisyCharlotte
That makes me smile.... I guess if you are used to US distances, then Chester and London are very close together. To a Brit like me they are quite far apart 😁

You can get to London by train in 2-3 hours. You will closer to Liverpool, Manchester and Birmingham, but also the coastline of North Wales and some lovely countryside. It will be a good, enteral location for exploring the UK whilst you are here. Best of luck with everything x

I'm from Texas so we don't have trains and to get between cities it's 2-5 hours by car haha (right now I'm at the beach which was a 2.5 hour drive 😭).

Thanks for replying it's really helpful to get confirmation that it's a great area when I haven't been able to visit myself <3
Enjoy your day at the beach!, I spend a lot of time in the US and know the distances in Texas are HUGE! I drove from Houston to Galveston and it seemed to take ages!! Chester will be great fun for you!
Hi @sierrac,

First of all, congratulations on your results! :smile: And thank you for considering the University of Chester as your place of study.

We recommend that you go for the degree that's right for you. In terms of Microbiology at Chester, it is a great course with a strong practical component giving you the opportunity to develop skills in our modern laboratories. :smile: With regards to location @DaisyCharlotte has said exactly what we would have about the city of Chester (thank you!)

We have excellent transport links and the city itself is beautiful and packed with history. Let us know if you would like to know anything else about location, student life in Chester or the course itself! We're happy to help.
Original post by sierrac
Reply 13
Thank you very much!
Original post by University of Chester
Hi @sierrac,

First of all, congratulations on your results! :smile: And thank you for considering the University of Chester as your place of study.

We recommend that you go for the degree that's right for you. In terms of Microbiology at Chester, it is a great course with a strong practical component giving you the opportunity to develop skills in our modern laboratories. :smile: With regards to location @DaisyCharlotte has said exactly what we would have about the city of Chester (thank you!)

We have excellent transport links and the city itself is beautiful and packed with history. Let us know if you would like to know anything else about location, student life in Chester or the course itself! We're happy to help.
Chester is an amazing city. Im going to be studying there as well for International Tourism Management. Did you go to a open day?
Reply 15
Unfortunately no. I haven't been back to the UK in 10 or so years and I've based all my uni choices on how fond of a memory I have of different areas lol (obviously I looked into other aspects but location was a big factor for me)
Original post by travelcollegeguy
Chester is an amazing city. Im going to be studying there as well for International Tourism Management. Did you go to a open day?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending