The Student Room Group

Tell be about a hobby you particularly enjoy

I really like quizzes. Every Tuesday I head to the local pub in my village for a bit of raucous quizzing. There are no teams, just us. We cheat like mad, but we don't care (some of us have alternative answers (which count) in case we don't get the first answer right.

Whenever there is a pop lyrics question, everyone looks at me (most contestants are in their 70s/80s! If it's sport, they look away from me, sharpish.

There is one derailer, just like you @harrysbar . He has been on 28 cruises (my idea of heaven) and we love to discuss this. He is a paramedic and is always showing me pics of famous celebrities at various events he has attended in a professional capacity. In fact, the others are always telling us to "shurrup" in their finest Yorkshire. Sometimes I think it's more an opportunity for everyone to chat rather than puzzle out the questions.

My elder son's hobby is singing in public. Mostly this is in bars (karaoke). Sometimes he has been known to dance on the tables. But he also does it just outside church, and on the streets of Southampton. He does tend to film it on Facebook, and sometimes you can hear the cars pipping. It tends to be les Miserables tunes. Actually he is really, really good at singing.

@Scotney @Themysticalegg Do you have any enjoyable hobbies?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Faffing with languages

Singing footie chants at unsuspecting acoustic artists in the local

Gigging (dunno if this counts)

Drinking (ha)
Reply 2
I am also a major language botherer.

I have learnt French, German, Spanish, Italian, Latin and Russian. (mostly GCSE at night class, but majored in French at degree level)

Gigging can be really exciting, especially if it's a group you love. Don't get to as many gigs as I would like.
love reading books, singing anything, oh and eating is probably one of my favourite ones. then writing anything from poetry, to songs and stories. yeah that's basically it.
Reply 4
Original post by Oxford Mum
I am also a major language botherer.

I have learnt French, German, Spanish, Italian, Latin and Russian. (mostly GCSE at night class, but majored in French at degree level)

Gigging can be really exciting, especially if it's a group you love. Don't get to as many gigs as I would like.

I'm not that dedicated but I do enjoy a dabble :laugh:

I shoulda been clearer: when I say 'gigging', I mean playing em (going is good too!). Been doing it on and off for half my life now
Gardening and photography are my main two these days. I am trying to get back into music at the moment though, so we will see how that goes.
Reply 6
They're great hobbies to have. @KimJayneNoel writes songs too, and has her own thread.
Original post by meharkaursandhu
love reading books, singing anything, oh and eating is probably one of my favourite ones. then writing anything from poetry, to songs and stories. yeah that's basically it.
Reply 7
Really? Do you play an instrument? Or sing? I would love to be good enough to sing. Once I was asked to audition for a band, as a singer, but was too shy to turn up.
Original post by gjd800
I'm not that dedicated but I do enjoy a dabble :laugh:

I shoulda been clearer: when I say 'gigging', I mean playing em (going is good too!). Been doing it on and off for half my life now
Reply 8
Languages. Bookbinding. Palæography. Homebrewing. Restoring audiotape machines. Recently been getting interested in botany. Some computer nerdery. Playing musical instruments.

The first three come together quite well. My mother loves the book of Ruth (as in the book from the Bible) and it's her birthday today, so I've translated the Septuagint version from Greek, and written it out and bound it in a first-century-style cover for her.
Reply 9
Really? Do you play an instrument? Or sing? I would love to be good enough to sing. Once I was asked to audition for a band, as a singer, but was too shy to turn up.

Yeah, been pissing about with guitars forever; handy with a bass. Paid my way through a master's jobbing in local bands. Bit tougher to earn a crust these days; toying with switching it up and getting into the Irish trad stuff. Lot of call for it up here!
I really like quizzes. Every Tuesday I head to the local pub in my village for a bit of raucous quizzing. There are no teams, just us. We cheat like mad, but we don't care (some of us have alternative answers (which count) in case we don't get the first answer right.

Whenever there is a pop lyrics question, everyone looks at me (most contestants are in their 70s/80s! If it's sport, they look away from me, sharpish.

There is one derailer, just like you @harrysbar . He has been on 28 cruises (my idea of heaven) and we love to discuss this. He is a paramedic and is always showing me pics of famous celebrities at various events he has attended in a professional capacity. In fact, the others are always telling us to "shurrup" in their finest Yorkshire. Sometimes I think it's more an opportunity for everyone to chat rather than puzzle out the questions.

My elder son's hobby is singing in public. Mostly this is in bars (karaoke). Sometimes he has been known to dance on the tables. But he also does it just outside church, and on the streets of Southampton. He does tend to film it on Facebook, and sometimes you can hear the cars pipping. It tends to be les Miserables tunes. Actually he is really, really good at singing.

@Scotney @Themysticalegg Do you have any enjoyable hobbies?

I like going to pub quizzes too! We go with some friends and have tried most of the pubs in a 10 mile radius...trying to find one where the questions are easy enough for us. We've never come last but we've never come first either....I would like to know what that feels like for once in my quizzing life. The best one we go to gives away prizes for the top scorers, I am desperate to get one even though they include things like easter eggs in May :tongue:
(edited 4 years ago)
Wow Tootles! You have many, varied and interesting hobbies. Which languages do you study? The present you have made for your mum is amazing- a lot of thought has gone into it. Bet she will treasure it. Wish her a happy birthday from us. xx
Original post by Tootles
Languages. Bookbinding. Palæography. Homebrewing. Restoring audiotape machines. Recently been getting interested in botany. Some computer nerdery. Playing musical instruments.

The first three come together quite well. My mother loves the book of Ruth (as in the book from the Bible) and it's her birthday today, so I've translated the Septuagint version from Greek, and written it out and bound it in a first-century-style cover for her.
We don't have any teams (Just one happy group of quizzers). You'd love it. Would love you to come along, but that would mean moving the pub to your home town/city. :s-smilie:
Original post by harrysbar
I like going to pub quizzes too! We go with some friends and have tried most of the pubs in a 10 mile radius...trying to find one where the questions are easy enough for us. We've never come last but we've never come first either....I would like to know what that feels like for once in my quizzing life. The best one we go to gives away prizes for the top scorers, I am desperate to get one even though they include things like easter eggs in May :tongue:
Music's always good. Gardening is a mystery to me, but I'm glad you like it. My garden is a tip. May recruit you.
Original post by fallen_acorns
Gardening and photography are my main two these days. I am trying to get back into music at the moment though, so we will see how that goes.
Music's always good. Gardening is a mystery to me, but I'm glad you like it. My garden is a tip. May recruit you.

Gardening is definitely not for everyone. But for me I like it for the precise reason that many don't - its slow.. nothing happens quickly.. no drama or instant gratification, its just slow and gradual. Its a great antidote for how chaotic life can be.. just plant something then slowly watch it grow, week by week.
Wow Tootles! You have many, varied and interesting hobbies. Which languages do you study? The present you have made for your mum is amazing- a lot of thought has gone into it. Bet she will treasure it. Wish her a happy birthday from us. xx

I'm bored and have to fill my time with something :lol: I do Greek mostly at the moment, but I'm quite competant in Latin and French, some German, and I can understand some Spanish. I've dabbled in Hebrew but haven't given it the attention I should have done. When I wrote my first novel I studied the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European language so I could accurately write some dialogue between people who hadn't evolved in ~20ky. Had a go at conlanging (making up my own lanaguage, because it's something fantasy writers apparently do) once, but after spending about six hours trying to work out the basic phonology realized it was a huge job that I couldn't give as much time to as it needed. One day :moon:

Thank you :cute: I hope she will.

Gardening is actually very easy. If it belongs there, leave it; if it doesn't, take it away. Make sure the soil's moist ( :colone: ) and there's nothing blocking the sunlight. I'm growing tobacco at the moment, and it grows like a fricken weed. Dittany and wormwood also grow wonderfully, even in the shoddy weather we get up north.

Original post by gjd800
Yeah, been pissing about with guitars forever; handy with a bass. Paid my way through a master's jobbing in local bands. Bit tougher to earn a crust these days; toying with switching it up and getting into the Irish trad stuff. Lot of call for it up here!

How are you with overdubbing (recordings)? Folk rock is always good, and if you wrote some of your own material you could put some stuff up on BandCamp or something?
Acting
Singing
Reading
Violin
I bet Notoriety and Johan would like you to be their cheerleaders. Now where were those pompoms again?

People like to sit near him in church, just to hear him singing the hymns! I'm surprised nobody in Southampton has taken exception to his singing in the streets. They must be a tolerant lot.
You sound very intelligent.
Original post by Tootles
I'm bored and have to fill my time with something :lol: I do Greek mostly at the moment, but I'm quite competant in Latin and French, some German, and I can understand some Spanish. I've dabbled in Hebrew but haven't given it the attention I should have done. When I wrote my first novel I studied the reconstructed Proto-Indo-European language so I could accurately write some dialogue between people who hadn't evolved in ~20ky. Had a go at conlanging (making up my own lanaguage, because it's something fantasy writers apparently do) once, but after spending about six hours trying to work out the basic phonology realized it was a huge job that I couldn't give as much time to as it needed. One day :moon:

Thank you :cute: I hope she will.

Gardening is actually very easy. If it belongs there, leave it; if it doesn't, take it away. Make sure the soil's moist ( :colone: ) and there's nothing blocking the sunlight. I'm growing tobacco at the moment, and it grows like a fricken weed. Dittany and wormwood also grow wonderfully, even in the shoddy weather we get up north.

How are you with overdubbing (recordings)? Folk rock is always good, and if you wrote some of your own material you could put some stuff up on BandCamp or something?
Lots of lovely hobbies there. Do you act in your local drama club? Lots of fun to be had there. My boys used to act and sing in village pantos. I can remember once my elder son was in panto and some fifty something women in the seats in front were leering at him. I turned round and said (mock offended) "oi, that's my son!". They shut up straight away.
Original post by Obolinda
Acting
Singing
Reading
Violin

Quick Reply

Latest