The Student Room Group

Glasgow A100 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of Glasgow A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.gla.ac.uk/undergraduate/degrees/medicine/#/a-levels

Glasgow A100 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6328166

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Hi, I’m hopefully applying for 2020. Sitting UCAT on 27th July and see how it goes...

I’m a graduate applicant with a 2.1 in BSc (Hons) Biomedicine and Merit in MSc Stratified Medicine and Pharmacological Innovation.

In the past, I’ve been a medical volunteer in a hospice, where I did palliative medicine course. I’ve also done lots of fundraising and was a treasurer for few student societies during my undergrad (Defying Dementia, Stepping Stones Nigeria). I’ve also volunteered in a charity shop during my 1st year. Later, I’ve worked as an auxiliary nurse and a care assistant in various nursing/care homes over a period of 3 years (20-30 hours per week during uni and 50-70 hours per week during holidays). I took part on Swim22 challenge raising money for Diabetes UK twice (2016 and 2018). I’m a first author of a published review article in a peer-reviewed journal (from my BSc dissertation) and had 3 months placement in a small biotech company during my MSc. Currently I’m working as a medical writer (since August 2017) and volunteering for an organisation helping people who had a stroke with their communication.

Happy to chat to any other grads/mature students - or other applicants, just not sure how much relevant my experience/advice would be! :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Hi :smile:
great to see another graduate applying!

Are you applying to a range of A100/A101 courses? I might go for three 5-year ones and then one GEM... but depending on how my UCAT goes, I might make it 2 UG / 2 GEM.

Impressive selection of work experience btw!
Original post by lastlullabyy
Hi, I’m hopefully applying for 2020.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sojune
Hi :smile:
great to see another graduate applying!

Are you applying to a range of A100/A101 courses? I might go for three 5-year ones and then one GEM... but depending on how my UCAT goes, I might make it 2 UG / 2 GEM.

Impressive selection of work experience btw!

Thanks! Funny thing is that I’ve not done any of them - apart from the hospice when I was younger - with med school in mind! I didn’t get in as my first degree, sort of thought I “dealt with it” and moved on but I still wanted to do it very much so giving it one last (or two!) pushes!

No, I’m only applying to Glasgow and Dundee this year. If I do badly in UCAT/don’t get in, I might take Higher Chemistry and apply Glasgow, St Andrews, Scot GEM and Aberdeen/Dundee in a year/two (that’d be one last attempt). I can’t afford moving to England to do the courses there - also, I have a mortgage here (Glasgow), two dogs AND I’m getting married in February 🙈 Very affordable mortgage and living with my husband-to-be would be the only viable option financially at the moment.

What’s your background and when are you sitting UCAT? :smile:
Reply 4
Thanks! Funny thing is that I’ve not done any of them -

Oh, I know the feeling all too well... Trying to convince yourself you've "dealt with it" is exactly what it was like for me!

I've been through two application cycles before...
The first one was during school and was a complete disaster! I was applying independently and as my teacher didn't upload his reference on time the whole thing was classed a "late application". Straight rejections of course.
Second time was during my gap year - with one interview in Dundee. I'm from Germany where no one seems to know anything about UCAS or UK medical school applications... so I had no idea what to expect. A slightly above average performance wasn’t enough for an offer unfortunately.
That was 7/8 years ago now…

Since then I've gone and done an integrated Chemistry Masters (graduated with a 2.1) and have been working in the atmospheric science community since 2016. I've moved from one good job to the next and convinced myself it was too late now anyways to try to get into medicine (I'm 27 now..). Plus, my current job does have its perks as well.
I’ve moved back to Germany (closer to family) in an attempt to settle down, but always felt that itch to maybe look at medicine again.

I’ve been doing quite a bit of volunteer work over the years (mostly with children), but it wasn’t until I joined the Red Cross as a medical first responder that I thought “this is really really what I want to do!” and I was stupid for “hiding” behind my age. I’ve since spoken to med students who started their journey when they were 34 and suddenly I don’t feel quite as old anymore! :biggrin:

Congratulations on your engagement! I can definitely see why you’d want to apply and stay in Glasgow!
I’ve got three cats in tow, so besides the odd accommodation hurdles, I’m still quite flexible! :wink:

My UCAT’s on the 1st August only 23 days to go.. eeeek!
Have you done the UCAT before?
Original post by sojune
Oh, I know the feeling all too well... Trying to convince yourself you've "

I’m 25 myself, so not that much of a difference :smile: Oh no, I’m not from the UK either (I’m Polish) but my teachers were quite helpful when I was at school - that was my only application though. I did take UCAT 7/8 years ago (first application) but have done so badly... Couldn’t apply to any UCAT unis, did BMAT and had interview at Lancaster - after which I was rejected and devastated. I ended up doing Biomedicine at Lancaster as I really liked the uni :smile: met my now fiancé and considered sooo many different careers... Applied for jobs from academia to industrial labs etc. I applied for NHS Scotland grad scheme in management two years years ago whilst finishing my MSc and got through to the final stage - didn’t get it... Feedback they gave me “you’d be really suited to be a doctor” - good thing that was over the phone because I literally broke down in tears 😂🙈

My job now is good - but it’s just... not “it”. Both myself and my fiancé are not in rush to have kids (if we ever do!) so thought why not... 25 is not THAT old 😁 can definitely see what you mean with perks though - my job is really well-paid, flexible and I work with great people. Sometimes I feel like such a moaner and that ai should appreciate it more eh... I’d be looking at going freelance with the same company if I got in.

I also did my MSc at Glasgow and went to their medicine Open Day recently - love the uni and the curriculum, so a bit more than just personal reasons :smile: and I absolutely fell in love with Scotland (jokingly call it my “adopted home country”) so don’t really want to move!

So yeah I’ve done UCAT like in 2012 (trying to forget 😂🙈). Also took SJT on its own 2 years ago (wanted to try Scot GEM, long story). Yours is only a few days after mine 👍🏻 i was debating rescheduling but then thought no point, going to try my best now!

What are you using to prep? And what unis other than Glasgow are you considering?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
I’m 25 myself, so not that much of a difference :smile:

I'm mainly using medify as UCAT prep at the moment. Trying to get in 1-2 hours a day, but it's hard! I currently work 11 hours a day so I'm really knackered once I get home.
Got about 6 older books as well (they were like 10€ in total, so I thought why not :biggrin: ) but not sure I'll have time to even look at them. What resources are you using and how much time are you dedicating to practice at the moment?

Haha yes! I thought about postponing as well! But I'll be off on a work detachment to Argentina for a total of 2.5 months between mid-August and November. Trying to juggle that with UCAT/BMAT and the rest of my application is already stressing me out! So no postponing for me! :smile: I'll be giving it my all for the next three weeks and just hope for the best!

I've been to the Open Days in Edinburgh, Glasgow, Dundee and Aberdeen (did a little tour of Scotland!) and will definitely be applying to two, if not three of them. Most likely that'll be Dundee, Aberdeen and Glasgow.
The Scottish Government has been really nice to us EU students, and even in the face of Brexit confirmed home fee status for 2020 entry. That's why I'm only applying to Scottish 5-year courses.

For GEM I'm looking at Oxford and potentially Southampton. I can't take the GAMSAT as I'll already be away with work - so I feel like that is really limiting my choices for graduate entry courses.
The English Government (and unis for that matter...) haven't been so forthcoming in terms of Brexit, however. Seems like they are holding back any decisions regarding EU fee status (and finance!) until Brexit has actually happened - which will most likely be after I have sent off my applications. So I'm not too keen on taking my chances with more than two - even if I had let's say a really competitive UCAT score. I don't want to potentially end up with offers only to turn them down because I can't afford it.

Is Glasgow your top choice course wise? I was really impressed with the Dundee Open Day!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sojune
I'm mainly using medify as UCAT prep at the moment. Trying to get in 1-2 hours a day

Same, using medify and trying to fit it in. Not working 11h but close (9-10h) and even though it’s not a physical job, mentally I’m usually drained 🙈 but been trying to do 2ish hours per evening and dedicated more time last weekend plus next two weekends for it. Decided against postponing too in the end as I have quite a lot of family stuff going on in August - in all fairness, probably wouldn’t dedicate more time 😂🙈 I’ll probably do the mocks from official UCAT website too, did some practice there already. And wow, Argentina - enjoy! :biggrin:

Yes, the confirmed tuition fees for 2020 definitely helps! Even though I might be half-way or already have UK citizenship before Sep/Oct 2020 - I actually prefer living in Scotland than England (my fiancé is from Manchester and has a huge family there so we visit often enough, getting married there too!) but Scotland is just beautiful :smile: and most people are so nice!

The ending up with offers and not being to afford to take them is the reason why I won’t be applying to Aberdeen 🙈

And yes, it is - top course and no 1.5h commute one way (think it’s like 1h 23min on the train to Dundee). But it’s close enough to be justified if need be 🙈
Reply 8
Same, using medify and trying to fit it in. Not working 11h but close (9-10h) and even though it’s not a physical job, mentally I’m usually drained 🙈 but been trying to do 2ish hours per evening and dedicated more time last weekend plus next two weekends for it. Decided against postponing too in the end as I have quite a lot of family stuff going on in August - in all fairness, probably wouldn’t dedicate more time 😂🙈 I’ll probably do the mocks from official UCAT website too, did some practice there already. And wow, Argentina - enjoy! :biggrin:

Yes, the confirmed tuition fees for 2020 definitely helps! Even though I might be half-way or already have UK citizenship before Sep/Oct 2020 - I actually prefer living in Scotland than England (my fiancé is from Manchester and has a huge family there so we visit often enough, getting married there too!) but Scotland is just beautiful :smile: and most people are so nice!

The ending up with offers and not being to afford to take them is the reason why I won’t be applying to Aberdeen 🙈

And yes, it is - top course and no 1.5h commute one way (think it’s like 1h 23min on the train to Dundee). But it’s close enough to be justified if need be 🙈

Haha yes, I'd probably procrastinate even more if I were to postpone the UCAT. 😂🙈
I'm leaving the official UCAT website mocks for quite late - heard that they're a bit more difficult than the real thing, let alone medify.

Yes, the course at Glasgow seems really good and I like that they take student feedback seriously! Plus, the hospital was just huuuge!

Can I ask why you're not considering Edinburgh?
Original post by sojune
Haha yes, I'd probably procrastinate even

Yes, the hospital is huge - I had most of my MSc classes in QEUH learning centre next to it :smile:

I’d happily consider Edinburgh but they wouldn’t consider me 😂🙈 I missed out on Chemistry mark by few points when I was at school, IB Chemistry HL - got a 4 instead of 5 (highly pathetic in the hindsight). So have 4, 5, 6 at HL and 33 overall, they want 5, 5, 6 and 34. Asked them if I did Higher Chemistry (which I might do next year if I don’t get in now to apply for Scot GEM and St Andrews) but they said no, they’d look at my IB scores.

Pitty considering I had undiagnosed anxiety at that point, went through counselling at uni and learnt to deal with exams much better. But they wouldn’t care about my BSc and MSc because of that IB Chem mark 🤷🏼*♀️ So won’t be applying there
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by sojune

OMG, scratch my previous answer - after your post I’ve looked at their website and they’ve changed entry requirements for graduates! Gave them a call as well to make sure I’m eligible to apply - and I am! Party time, that commute would be easily doable 😂👌🏻 So going for Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee now :smile: thanks - if it wasn’t for your post, I wouldn’t have checked!
Reply 11
OMG, scratch my previous answer - after your post I’ve looked at their website and they’ve changed entry requirements for graduates! Gave them a call as well to make sure I’m eligible to apply - and I am! Party time, that commute would be easily doable 😂👌🏻 So going for Glasgow, Edinburgh and Dundee now :smile: thanks - if it wasn’t for your post, I wouldn’t have checked!

Oh wow! Glad you double checked!
Good luck with your application! :smile:
hi everyone,
i was looking up for the best medical schools in the uk, and i was quite uncertain with glasgow. Is it comparable to imperial and UCL or more like a “middle ranked” university?
Thank you in advance xx
Original post by cate_deve
hi everyone,
i was looking up for the best medical schools in the uk, and i was quite uncertain with glasgow. Is it comparable to imperial and UCL or more like a “middle ranked” university?
Thank you in advance xx

Rankings for medical schools are not really that important. Brighton Sussex is more competitive than Cambridge (one of the least competitive med schools in the country).

All the med schools are GMC accredited, and once you graduate no one cares where you got your degree from.

So pick according to the entry requirements, the city and the area, the teaching style (PBL vs traditional), your finances, the hospitals etc. etc. but not the ranking

Post originally created by ecolier.
Is 6A* 3A's 2B's good enough for Glasgow?
I'm an international student. UCAT score 2980. Any knows what the min UCAT score for international students in the last year's admission? Many thanks.
Reply 16
Original post by Vetrix42
Is 6A* 3A's 2B's good enough for Glasgow?

They do not score GCSEs
Reply 17
Original post by Jhlow
I'm an international student. UCAT score 2980. Any knows what the min UCAT score for international students in the last year's admission? Many thanks.

I have not found a minimum UCAT specifically for internationals. I don't believe they parse their data in that way. If you find it let me know. But I'm pretty sure a 2980 would guarantee you an interview either way.
Hi , can someone correct me if wrong ? I found their FOI data and saw that 2018 they made 80 offers or so to international students with about 40 tbc intake ? Then why is it I also read that international quota is about 17?
Am confused ... likely to put Glasgow as one of my UCAS choices .. would have thought I might stand a better shot here than Edinburgh given the quota ... but not sure now ... thanks 🙏
Reply 19
Original post by hopefulA100
Hi , can someone correct me if wrong ? I found their FOI data and saw that 2018 they made 80 offers or so to international students with about 40 tbc intake ? Then why is it I also read that international quota is about 17?
Am confused ... likely to put Glasgow as one of my UCAS choices .. would have thought I might stand a better shot here than Edinburgh given the quota ... but not sure now ... thanks 🙏

The International target intake for Glasgow for 2019 entry is 18.
An FOI states "There were 6 successful international applicants for 2018 entry to Medicine"
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/523196/response/1256616/attach/2/20181029%20response%20to%20applicant%20F1108074.pdf?cookie_passthrough=1
Slightly older info shows around 45 offers for 18 places
https://www.whatdotheyknow.com/request/a100_admission_process_and_stati_2#incoming-878963

Are you sure your data is not about RUK applicants, as Glasgow have around 45 places for these?
Glasgow and Edinburgh have similar International quoas at 18 and 17

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending