The Student Room Group

A level options

So for university I would love to go to UCL to study law 🤞🏼 for my A levels I am planning on doing ; history, literature and politics. What I am struggling with is whether to do an a level (classic civilisation or geography depending on my grades) or an EPQ. It would mean I have at least 2 facilitating subjects(depending on my choices). What would be best for my future career because I really want to give myself the best possible chance.

Also if I do an EPQ what are some ideas you would recommend for my A level options and career choice?

Thank you so much I appreciate any help!

Scroll to see replies

You should do an EPQ because unis only require 3 A-levels so it's much better to focus on those than 4 levels so you can get better quality. Furthermore, you can focus your EPQ on law, which will strengthen your personal statement if you mention it because you focused on a topic of law and expressed your opinion into that topic, which really shows skills for that degree.
Reply 2
Thank you
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by PetitePanda
You should do an EPQ because unis only require 3 A-levels so it's much better to focus on those than 4 levels so you can get better quality. Furthermore, you can focus your EPQ on law, which will strengthen your personal statement if you mention it because you focused on a topic of law and expressed your opinion into that topic, which really shows skills for that degree.

Thank you! I just can’t decide. Would a 4th a level help my chances?
Original post by Mollysh24
Thank you! I was thinking that but I just can’t decide because I know I only need 3 A levels but maybe a 4th would help me??

Not at all.

Universities do not care about a 4th A level. In fact, they'll just ignore it.

And, there really is no such thing as a 'facilitating' or 'respected' subject. As long as you get good grades and have the necessary subjects (if there is a required subject), then you're good to go. For Law, I guess having at least 1 essay subject will met the requirement. You could literally do 1 essay subject + 2 sciences and with the correct grades etc, you could get into either Oxbridge or UCL.

Ergo, do the subjects that you will enjoy the most / get the best grades in.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Quick-use
Not at all.

Universities do not care about a 4th A level. In fact, they'll just ignore it.

And, there really is no such thing as a 'facilitating' or 'respected' subject. As long as you get good grades and have the necessary subjects (if there is a required subject), then you're good to go. For Law, I guess having at least 1 essay subject will met the requirement. You could literally do 1 essay subject + 2 sciences and with the correct grades etc, you could get into either Oxbridge or UCL.

Ergo, do the subjects that you will enjoy the most / get the best grades in.

Thank you I appreciate your input! So do you think literature and history are enough essay subjects?
Thank you I appreciate your input! So do you think literature and history are enough essay subjects?

Just one of them would be enough as far as requirements for an essay subject go. If you want to do more, go for it but more than anything do the subjects that will get you the best grades / the ones that you will enjoy the most.

For the admissions team, having 1 essay subject will be like a tick-box. If you have one, perfect. Other than that, it boils down to your grades + personal statement + references + LNAT (if the uni requires it).
No not at all because you'll have gotten high grades with 3 as you'll have less to focus on and like I said unis only require 3.
Thank you! I just can’t decide. Would a 4th a level help my chances?

You don't really need essay subjects but it will certainly help you during the course. But to answer your question, yes that's enough.
Reply 8
Original post by Quick-use
Just one of them would be enough as far as requirements for an essay subject go. If you want to do more, go for it but more than anything do the subjects that will get you the best grades / the ones that you will enjoy the most.

For the admissions team, having 1 essay subject will be like a tick-box. If you have one, perfect. Other than that, it boils down to your grades + personal statement + references + LNAT (if the uni requires it).

I really do enjoy history and literature and politics I’m not doing them for the sake of it so hopefully it will be good. Yes and I’m planning on lots of extra things to help my personal statement so hopefully it works !
I did those A-Levels and hold an offer for UCL Law. I am not 100% about this but I have heard that as long as you meet the requirements set out in the prospectus, it doesn't matter what A-Levels you do. Those A-Levels tend to have very low rates of A*, for example. I only just met the requirements although that was in 2012. You may want to consider dropping one of English or History for something less challenging if you are concerned about getting the grades.
Reply 10
Original post by tenacity
I did those A-Levels and hold an offer for UCL Law. I am not 100% about this but I have heard that as long as you meet the requirements set out in the prospectus, it doesn't matter what A-Levels you do. Those A-Levels tend to have very low rates of A*, for example. I only just met the requirements although that was in 2012. You may want to consider dropping one of English or History for something less challenging if you are concerned about getting the grades.

Thank you! Good luck! Also what grades did you get at gcse for English and history? And did you find the a levels challenging?
Thank you! Good luck! Also what grades did you get at gcse for English and history? And did you find the a levels challenging?

Why? :s-smilie: The GCSE requirements for UCL Law are here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/law-llb/2019

I found them challenging, yes. It's doable if you put the hours in, and they will better prepare you for a Law degree than say Law or Sociology, but substituting one of English/History with something like that might make it far easier to meet the A*AA condition. Additionally, since grades seem to be more important than subject choice (though you really should check with the admissions office about that), getting A*A*A in English, Law, and Politics would make a more competitive application than A*AA in your current choices.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Why? :s-smilie: The GCSE requirements for UCL Law are here: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/prospective-students/undergraduate/degrees/law-llb/2019

I found them challenging, yes. It's doable if you put the hours in, and they will better prepare you for a Law degree than say Law or Sociology, but substituting one of English/History with something like that might make it far easier to meet the A*AA condition. Additionally, since grades seem to be more important than subject choice (though you really should check with the admissions office about that), getting A*A*A in English, Law, and Politics would make a more competitive application than A*AA in your current choices.

Oh just so I can compare results because I don’t really know anyone who does those a levels to see how they did in gcse and how they found a level.

Maybe but I really want to do history and literature
So for university I would love to go to UCL to study law 🤞🏼 for my A levels I am planning on doing ; history, literature and politics. What I am struggling with is whether to do an a level (classic civilisation or geography depending on my grades) or an EPQ. It would mean I have at least 2 facilitating subjects(depending on my choices). What would be best for my future career because I really want to give myself the best possible chance.

Hi there!
Word of advice, as many before me have said, 4 A-Levels are not necessary for even the most prestigious universities.
Many sixth forms and colleges push you to do 4 A-levels merely because it gives them more funding from the government.

If you plan to do Law at UCL, then History, Politics and English is perfect! I personally aspire to do Biochemistry so don't know much about Law, but I did do A-Level History and found it exceptionally helpful in improving my skills in evaluating viewpoints and determining validity of opinions. Friends of mine who did English found it challenging but it massively helped their essay skills.
The good thing about History is that it puts a lot of political theory into context, making it easier to understand. This should prepare you for uni well.

I personally found History to be my easiest subject, but then again both of my teachers were absolute legends. I think that as long as you really work to refine your exam technique and develop the way in which you write essays, you should be fine in History.
English was my most hated subject at GCSE (my teachers were not legends XD) and I can't say I found English Literature to be remotely helpful when doing A-Level History, but you may have a different experience.
Sorry for my essay of an answer (no pun intended)
Reply 14
Original post by p_helena
Hi there!
Word of advice, as many before me have said, 4 A-Levels are not necessary for even the most prestigious universities.
Many sixth forms and colleges push you to do 4 A-levels merely because it gives them more funding from the government.

If you plan to do Law at UCL, then History, Politics and English is perfect! I personally aspire to do Biochemistry so don't know much about Law, but I did do A-Level History and found it exceptionally helpful in improving my skills in evaluating viewpoints and determining validity of opinions. Friends of mine who did English found it challenging but it massively helped their essay skills.
The good thing about History is that it puts a lot of political theory into context, making it easier to understand. This should prepare you for uni well.

I personally found History to be my easiest subject, but then again both of my teachers were absolute legends. I think that as long as you really work to refine your exam technique and develop the way in which you write essays, you should be fine in History.
English was my most hated subject at GCSE (my teachers were not legends XD) and I can't say I found English Literature to be remotely helpful when doing A-Level History, but you may have a different experience.
Sorry for my essay of an answer (no pun intended)

Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!! At our school we have 3 sixth forms put together so I don’t know the teachers who will be teaching me literature!

Good luck with biochemistry
Ahh I see sounds complicated, and thank you!
Your best bet is to see what grades UCL wants and doing courses that you enjoy. You don't need all 3 of your A-Levels to be relevant to the course- hence I did History, Chemistry and Biology for A-level.
It's also great that you already know what you want to do as well.
My #1 advice for A-Levels is doing past papers- it's boring but got me from E's in my first year to As by the summer, then A*s in my mocks this spring.
Thank you so much! I really appreciate it!! At our school we have 3 sixth forms put together so I don’t know the teachers who will be teaching me literature!

Good luck with biochemistry
Reply 16
Original post by p_helena
Ahh I see sounds complicated, and thank you!
Your best bet is to see what grades UCL wants and doing courses that you enjoy. You don't need all 3 of your A-Levels to be relevant to the course- hence I did History, Chemistry and Biology for A-level.
It's also great that you already know what you want to do as well.
My #1 advice for A-Levels is doing past papers- it's boring but got me from E's in my first year to As by the summer, then A*s in my mocks this spring.

Thank you! I’ll definitely try that! To the advice of many I’m making sure to do as much work in my first year because a lot of people fall behind so I’m hoping I’ll do well
Oh just so I can compare results because I don’t really know anyone who does those a levels to see how they did in gcse and how they found a level.

Maybe but I really want to do history and literature

Yeah sure definitely do what you're passionate about. Just bear in mind that the grades are much more important and if you are not predicted/achieve at least A*AA (and are not going for a contextual offer, for which there seem to be very specific requirements) then your application will be rejected instantly.

In my GCSEs, I got A*A* in English and an A in History; in my A-Levels, I got A* in English Lit and an A in History.
That's great advice and I'm so glad I put the effort in during my first year.
That being said, I had my share of issues that meant *a lot* of time off school- I just did my best to believe in the process and keep doing little bits of revision here and there.
With the attitude you have, it is likely that you will do well. The people who do less well are those who get complacent. But do make sure you get out and do things (unlike me- I had no social life whatsoever!)
Thank you! I’ll definitely try that! To the advice of many I’m making sure to do as much work in my first year because a lot of people fall behind so I’m hoping I’ll do well
Reply 19
Yeah sure definitely do what you're passionate about. Just bear in mind that the grades are much more important and if you are not predicted/achieve at least A*AA (and are not going for a contextual offer, for which there seem to be very specific requirements) then your application will be rejected instantly.

In my GCSEs, I got A*A* in English and an A in History; in my A-Levels, I got A* in English Lit and an A in History.

It’s very stressful!

Ah so the same grades in a levels as at gcse! Thank you

Quick Reply

Latest