The Student Room Group

Packing for uni when you have to fly on a plane

I would be flying from NI to Heathrow and I was wondering what airline offers the best luggage for a student moving to uni? Has anyone had to do this and if so what did you pack to include your clothes, kitchen essentials and things to make your room feel like home e.g decorations etc
Reply 1
Most airlines are within 20-23kg luggage per person (excluding the hand luggage). If you exceed this, then you have to pay extra.
Reply 2
Perhaps just packing the essentials you need I to one large suitcase, eg clothes, toiletries, decorations etc, and buy larger bulky items, such as bedsheets and kitchen utensils once you’re in the UK?. I assume NI is Northern Ireland, in which I assume you’ll be acquainted with shops like Ikea or Wilko which are cheap and great for uni household items.
Reply 3
Thanks yeah it is Northern Ireland 😀 I was thinking about buying things when I am in England but then I suppose I would have to bring them home again at the end of the year. I think some airlines do 30kg for students for extra but I am unsure. Thanks for your help 😀
Original post by Deggs_14
Perhaps just packing the essentials you need I to one large suitcase, eg clothes, toiletries, decorations etc, and buy larger bulky items, such as bedsheets and kitchen utensils once you’re in the UK?. I assume NI is Northern Ireland, in which I assume you’ll be acquainted with shops like Ikea or Wilko which are cheap and great for uni household items.
some universities do student packs which get delivered to your room. Worth thinking of. Wilkos do a student range which are fairly cheap for things like saucepans , cooking utensils, bedding etc. You can pre order to the local wilko shop or just turn up when you arrive. They also have a parent/student card where the parent puts money on and the student spends it. You can throw the heavier stuff away at the end of year and replace as they tend to be fairly inexpensive and far easier than taking on a plane. This will allow your more options for clothes and laptop.
https://life.wilko.com/your-student-essentials-sorted/
Reply 5
Can't you take your essentials in a suitcase and have everything else necessary shipped over? It all falls under the same Royal Mail price category as it's UK.
Reply 6
Thank you, this was really helpful 😀
Original post by swanseajack1
some universities do student packs which get delivered to your room. Worth thinking of. Wilkos do a student range which are fairly cheap for things like saucepans , cooking utensils, bedding etc. You can pre order to the local wilko shop or just turn up when you arrive. They also have a parent/student card where the parent puts money on and the student spends it. You can throw the heavier stuff away at the end of year and replace as they tend to be fairly inexpensive and far easier than taking on a plane. This will allow your more options for clothes and laptop.
https://life.wilko.com/your-student-essentials-sorted/
Reply 7
Thank you for your help. I was thinking about this or else shipping with unidays luggage 😀
Original post by xDron3
Can't you take your essentials in a suitcase and have everything else necessary shipped over? It all falls under the same Royal Mail price category as it's UK.
Swansea Wilko's is full of students often with their parents around freshers weekend. Costs are cheap so you can buy things like plates, mugs, stationery etc without the need to transport it. Also things like bedding. Around freshers they are all put in a student section and I suppose others do the same. Come the end of the year there are sometimes storage companies who mainly foreign student use but you dont need to think about that now.
Original post by Vet Student 2020
Thank you, this was really helpful 😀
Original post by Vet Student 2020
I would be flying from NI to Heathrow and I was wondering what airline offers the best luggage for a student moving to uni? Has anyone had to do this and if so what did you pack to include your clothes, kitchen essentials and things to make your room feel like home e.g decorations etc

My son is at Imperial, but we live in California. Given the cost of many items, it may be cheaper to buy them once you arrive, rather than pay excess baggage charges. He only had baggage issues when carrying his notes (which he often risks in hold luggage, sigh). This was solved by placing a small bag inside his larger hold bag, and taking it as hand luggage if the larger one exceeded the weight limit.

Another option might be coach / train and ferry, where, I assume, you wouldn't have weight restrictions. It could be more expensive, and will take a lot longer though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by JH 011001

Hi I’m also moving from NI to Bournemouth this year. Just wondering how did you go about it? I’m thinking of using Parcelforce/ Royal Mail to ship a suitcase of stuff ?
The best way is to not take items with you other than clothes and laptop/phone etc. Wilko do a huge student range and you can either pre order and collect or buy when you arrive. They have bedding, cooking items, stationery, printers and all the items anyone needs. The used to have a student/parent card but I dont know if they still do. The parent has a card and puts money on it. The student then goes in with their card and pays for it. One other word of advise check before buying bedding wither there will be a single or double bed in the room.
Thanks!!
there’s a company called Mybaggage and they ship suitcases / boxes / large bags for relatively cheap

Quick Reply

Latest