The Student Room Group

Physics Requirements?

Hello, I'm applying for medicine in the Netherlands, and the university I'm interested in needs physics as a subject. However, I'm an IB student and since we can generally only take 2 sciences, I have chemistry and biology as my sciences at HL. After contacting the university they gave me options to fulfill the requirements;

Sit the AP Physics 2 or C (both C options)
Sit the IB physics HL exam (not really an option unless I'm crazy)
Sit the A-level Physics exam
or Sit the Dutch VWO physics exam (in English)

Which do you think would be the easiest to crash in 1 or 2 months over the summer along with all the IAs and EE? Obviously, all are challenging, but which has less content or at least slightly easier concepts?

Thank you in advance.
(edited 4 years ago)
No idea what the Dutch option is like, but A-level is probably the easiest in the sense that it's all algebra based (there's no proper calculus based physics in A-level Physics), although arguably if mathematically handling physics content comes naturally it might be more frustrating or tedious. If you're taking HL Maths maybe you can make a case for the mechanics content satisfying their requirements?

For any of them though there will be a fair amount of content, so I'm not sure how realistic it is to do any of them in just 1 or 2 months over the summer. I'd suggest it might be more realistic as a gap year prospect - perhaps you can see if you can defer entry for a year and meet the physics requirement in a gap year? That would give you much more time to prepare for the relevant exam(s) to ensure you do well in them.
Original post by Freakasaurus23
Hello, I'm applying for medicine in the Netherlands, and the university I'm interested in needs physics as a subject. However, I'm an IB student and since we can generally only take 2 sciences, I have chemistry and biology as my sciences at HL. After contacting the university they gave me options to fulfill the requirements;

Which do you think would be the easiest to crash in 1 or 2 months over the summer along with all the IAs and EE? Obviously, all are challenging, but which has less content or at least slightly easier concepts?

Thank you in advance.

When you say crash in 1 or 2 months over the summer, do you mean this summer? I think your issue with e.g. A-level is that the exam will be next May- you'll have forgotten a lot of content by then! I would imagine you'd face a similar issue with the Dutch physics exam- and it might not be easy to find somewhere to sit it.

To be honest, I agree with @artful_lounger these sound more realistic as gap year prospects, rather than being done over the summer.
Practically speaking, the ship has already sailed for A-level and VWO this year (unless you want to take international A-level in the autumn). There is an IB sitting in the autumn, but I don't know whether you can complete an AP programme then, too.

Thank you in advance.
Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately taking a gap year is not an option :frown:

Original post by artful_lounger
No idea what the Dutch option is like, but A-level is probably the easiest in the sense that it's all algebra based (there's no proper calculus based physics in A-level Physics), although arguably if mathematically handling physics content comes naturally it might be more frustrating or tedious. If you're taking HL Maths maybe you can make a case for the mechanics content satisfying their requirements?

For any of them though there will be a fair amount of content, so I'm not sure how realistic it is to do any of them in just 1 or 2 months over the summer. I'd suggest it might be more realistic as a gap year prospect - perhaps you can see if you can defer entry for a year and meet the physics requirement in a gap year? That would give you much more time to prepare for the relevant exam(s) to ensure you do well in them.

Original post by SarcAndSpark
When you say crash in 1 or 2 months over the summer, do you mean this summer? I think your issue with e.g. A-level is that the exam will be next May- you'll have forgotten a lot of content by then! I would imagine you'd face a similar issue with the Dutch physics exam- and it might not be easy to find somewhere to sit it.

To be honest, I agree with @artful_lounger these sound more realistic as gap year prospects, rather than being done over the summer.

Yes,I meant this summer, thank you for bringing that to my attention, I don't know why but in my mind I thought I can do the tests like the SAT subject tests, where they have multiple dates including fall. I guess the only one I can do then is the VWO which I can do the test on its own in late September. Or I can ask the university if they will accept the SAT physics subject test
I can do the VWO subject test in September at an institute, but can you send me the link to where I can find the autumn test dates for A-level? I can only find dates in May and June for the international A-level.
Original post by 学生の父
Practically speaking, the ship has already sailed for A-level and VWO this year (unless you want to take international A-level in the autumn). There is an IB sitting in the autumn, but I don't know whether you can complete an AP programme then, too.
Thank you for your reply, but unfortunately taking a gap year is not an option :frown:

Yes,I meant this summer, thank you for bringing that to my attention, I don't know why but in my mind I thought I can do the tests like the SAT subject tests, where they have multiple dates including fall. I guess the only one I can do then is the VWO which I can do the test on its own in late September. Or I can ask the university if they will accept the SAT physics subject test

Unfortunately not- most national/international exams will have set sittings, and you'd also need to find an exam center. It sounds like the VWO is possible if you're able to find somewhere to sit it- so I guess the decision is made for you!
I can do the VWO subject test in September at an institute, but can you send me the link to where I can find the autumn test dates for A-level? I can only find dates in May and June for the international A-level.

Here are the autumn dates for Cambridge International: www.cambridgeinternational.org/Images/469288-november-timetable-uk.pdf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending