The Student Room Group

How to stop oversleeping?

For the past two weeks or so I've been sleeping for 14-20 hours a day. I'm barely awake for 8 hours between each sleep, I'd say 4 hours on average. And no matter what I've tried, I can't get myself back to 8 hours.

Not even fire alarm tests wake me up and that thing is LOUD lmao. I've tried staying awake for a day or two days to try reset my sleeping pattern, but even then I sleep for way too long and it just continues and aaaaa.

Any ideas? :frown:
sounds like extreme fatigue - have there been any lifestyle changes recently like overload in work, change in diet or starting/increasing exercising routines? if so, you probably are experiencing low quality of sleep due to a change but if there's no change that you can really see, I would suggest going to a doctor. if you do know of a change I would suggest reverting back to how you used to live day to day and then see if you can slowly make the change so that you can have the same amount of sleep as you normally do
Original post by falselyincognito
sounds like extreme fatigue - have there been any lifestyle changes recently like overload in work, change in diet or starting/increasing exercising routines? if so, you probably are experiencing low quality of sleep due to a change but if there's no change that you can really see, I would suggest going to a doctor. if you do know of a change I would suggest reverting back to how you used to live day to day and then see if you can slowly make the change so that you can have the same amount of sleep as you normally do

I guess there have been lifestyle changes, but moreso in the opposite to increasing exercise and stuff. Like it's summer, so I have no workload at all, I recently fell out of routine for working out and exercise because of this, my diet hasn't really changed either (other than I'm eating worse foods bc the overload of sleep is making me too lazy to cook lmao), so all-in-all nothing like that has lead to it, rather the too-much sleep is causing those things so ehh.

I would see a doctor but I'm not sure what they'd be able to do? I did have a few weeks prior that were pretty difficult with depression but mentally I'm not too bad in the past couple weeks which is why I'm confused why it's impossible to sleep only 8 hours suddenly when it wasn't like that during that.

Thank you for the advice though!! I'll try take a better look at things and see if there's anything I need to adjust to try fix this :frown:
Original post by velvethopes
I guess there have been lifestyle changes, but moreso in the opposite to increasing exercise and stuff. Like it's summer, so I have no workload at all, I recently fell out of routine for working out and exercise because of this, my diet hasn't really changed either (other than I'm eating worse foods bc the overload of sleep is making me too lazy to cook lmao), so all-in-all nothing like that has lead to it, rather the too-much sleep is causing those things so ehh.

I would see a doctor but I'm not sure what they'd be able to do? I did have a few weeks prior that were pretty difficult with depression but mentally I'm not too bad in the past couple weeks which is why I'm confused why it's impossible to sleep only 8 hours suddenly when it wasn't like that during that.

Thank you for the advice though!! I'll try take a better look at things and see if there's anything I need to adjust to try fix it this :frown:

it can be a cyclical thing where worse diet leads to worse sleep even if the cause is ambiguous. I did read somewhere that exercise helps because it tires you out and hopefully that should give you a better quality of sleep? it could be due to diabetes like sknudson is suggesting so if the cause isn't clear then a doctor is probably the best bet really - I personally had a period of time where stress and depression levels were down when I was awake but my sister told me that I was crying and screaming in my sleep and my psychologist said that stress was manifesting when I was asleep. it may not be the same for you but maybe you're more affected by mental health issues than you expect? but don't immediately go there - I would check to see if anything is physically abnormal so get tests done if you can. it could be some sort of deficiency
I mean maybe the past three days I've consumed more carbs than normal, yeah, but the past couple months all I really ate was chicken and vegetables (could a diet too low in cals be a factor?). As far as I know I'm not diabetic, but my family mentioned I might be since it's kinda common in my family, idk if type 1 or type 2 though or what the symptoms of either would be. I'll look more into it and maybe try see a doctor in that case then, thank you! :smile:

Original post by falselyincognito
it can be a cyclical thing where worse diet leads to worse sleep even if the cause is ambiguous. I did read somewhere that exercise helps because it tires you out and hopefully that should give you a better quality of sleep? it could be due to diabetes like sknudson is suggesting so if the cause isn't clear then a doctor is probably the best bet really - I personally had a period of time where stress and depression levels were down when I was awake but my sister told me that I was crying and screaming in my sleep and my psychologist said that stress was manifesting when I was asleep. it may not be the same for you but maybe you're more affected by mental health issues than you expect? but don't immediately go there - I would check to see if anything is physically abnormal so get tests done if you can. it could be some sort of deficiency

That's true, could be cyclical. I think my sleep is pretty good quality, especially since I sleep so deeply, but idk.
Oh wow, that's really interesting that it can manifest in sleep, I hope I'm not screaming in my sleep haha. Yeah, maybe it is affecting me more than I think, or just oversleeping too much to be awake long enough for it to manifest while I'm awake. aaaaa so complicated. I do have deficiencies, I'm iron and b12 anaemic, though I haven't seen a doctor in over a year so it's probably time I went back and discuss things I guess. Thank you so much for all the help!! :smile:
For the past two weeks or so I've been sleeping for 14-20 hours a day. I'm barely awake for 8 hours between each sleep, I'd say 4 hours on average. And no matter what I've tried, I can't get myself back to 8 hours.

Not even fire alarm tests wake me up and that thing is LOUD lmao. I've tried staying awake for a day or two days to try reset my sleeping pattern, but even then I sleep for way too long and it just continues and aaaaa.

Any ideas? :frown:

That could be for numerous reasons, so your best option is to see a doctor if it persists. You could have a nutritional deficiency or other health condition developing so it's worth looking into it for early treatment. I would still continue setting alarms and forcing yourself to get up, maybe after 10 hours sleep, then gradually reduce it to around 9 hours per night. Your circadian rhythm may be out of whack for some reason and it needs some routine.
That's true, could be cyclical. I think my sleep is pretty good quality, especially since I sleep so deeply, but idk.
Oh wow, that's really interesting that it can manifest in sleep, I hope I'm not screaming in my sleep haha. Yeah, maybe it is affecting me more than I think, or just oversleeping too much to be awake long enough for it to manifest while I'm awake. aaaaa so complicated. I do have deficiencies, I'm iron and b12 anaemic, though I haven't seen a doctor in over a year so it's probably time I went back and discuss things I guess. Thank you so much for all the help!! :smile:

no problem - hope you get your sleep routine back soon!
Original post by -Eirlys-
That could be for numerous reasons, so your best option is to see a doctor if it persists. You could have a nutritional deficiency or other health condition developing so it's worth looking into it for early treatment. I would still continue setting alarms and forcing yourself to get up, maybe after 10 hours sleep, then gradually reduce it to around 9 hours per night. Your circadian rhythm may be out of whack for some reason and it needs some routine.

Yeah I'm deficient in iron and b12 bc I have IBS and my body can't absorb nutrients very easily according to my doctor but I should probably see a doctor by the sounds of it to see if anything else has popped up over the last couple years rip. I have about 30 alarms so far and none of them can wake me at all. I'll keep trying to reduce the hours so I can start forming a routine bc tbh I've not had a routine for about two or three years lol so maybe it's that finally catching up with me. Thank you!! :smile:
Yeah I'm deficient in iron and b12 bc I have IBS and my body can't absorb nutrients very easily according to my doctor but I should probably see a doctor by the sounds of it to see if anything else has popped up over the last couple years rip. I have about 30 alarms so far and none of them can wake me at all. I'll keep trying to reduce the hours so I can start forming a routine bc tbh I've not had a routine for about two or three years lol so maybe it's that finally catching up with me. Thank you!! :smile:

You're probably low in iron then. Just last week I was absolutely exhausted, way beyond normal and I thought it was due to my new job. I decided to take my iron tablets (I bought them) with added vitamins which I hadn't taken for a while because they cause constipation, and I had considerably more energy the next day and I've been managing so much better ever since! I was having a slump due to low iron, so definitely get some bloods done and get some iron. That should fix you right up. :smile:
Original post by -Eirlys-
You're probably low in iron then. Just last week I was absolutely exhausted, way beyond normal and I thought it was due to my new job. I decided to take my iron tablets (I bought them) with added vitamins which I hadn't taken for a while because they cause constipation, and I had considerably more energy the next day and I've been managing so much better ever since! I was having a slump due to low iron, so definitely get some bloods done and get some iron. That should fix you right up. :smile:

Yeah I still have my iron prescription because I didn't take them last summer when I was given them again but idk the expiry date on them so yeah okay I'll force myself to speak to a doctor to get bloods done lmao agh. I don't feel tired at all though, that's the only thing. Like I'm wide awake, no fatigue at all, but still falling asleep, but I guess the obvious solution for that is stay out of bed haha, though doesn't solve that I'm still oversleeping. Okay, doctors, thank you for all your help haha take care!!

Yeah that's why I mentioned it, type 2 would definitely be off the cards for me, though I'm more on the other extreme side of the spectrum where my diet's very low cal and I'm pretty underweight (but those are things I'm actively working on to improve) so I'm unsure how far I could say I have an "otherwise healthy" body but yeah I see your point haha. I'll try get myself down to the docs, thanks so much for the advice and best wishes with everything for you!! :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest