The Student Room Group

Sixth Form students dealing with issues which staff should be sorting out

My Sixth Form and school in general seems to have this idea that Sixth Formers should be responsible for kicking out main-school students (particularly those who make their way in to mess around) from the Sixth Form centre; this would be manageable if it was only occasional, all (or a reasonable proportion of) Sixth formers were willing/confident enough to do this and staff support was available for those who won't leave/are very rude.

However, I have gained a reputation as the person who will get any task given to me done - it seems to have got to a point where whenever main-school students need to be kicked out, I am called on and expected to kick them out as nobody else actually gets listened to- this is getting rather irritating for me but at the same time the disruption from main-school students is also annoying.

On top of this we are expected to report anything that they do in the Sixth Form centre or elsewhere on site from breaking doors to stealing mice from PCs and vandalism, only for nobody to actually bother to do anything.

To be fair the Sixth Form management are incredibly supportive and helpful however they are not always available and there is a lack of school-wide behaviour management.

Any ideas how I can reduce the amount I have to deal with on a day-to-day basis as it is getting beyond ridiculous now.
if you have a head of sixth form or pastoral worker (or even just a teacher that you trust to listen to you), you should definitely let them know about the situation. they should realise that it’s unfair and start to sort something out - you’re there to learn and do well, not to act as staff.
Reply 2
Original post by istanden
if you have a head of sixth form or pastoral worker (or even just a teacher that you trust to listen to you), you should definitely let them know about the situation. they should realise that it’s unfair and start to sort something out - you’re there to learn and do well, not to act as staff.

Thanks for replying.

I (along with many others) have made the Head of Sixth form aware of the issues and we have had magnetic co-tag locks installed on the doors to the buildings however these haven't had any positive impact as now they force the doors open breaking the locks- the sixth form staff are very restricted to what they can do and are usually ignored by school management.

There is definitely a school-wide issue with behaviour and issues never actually get dealt with unless someone starts swearing at the head- lot's of staff are leaving due to the behaviour issues and poor management (and being replaced with supply teachers who don't do anything about behaviour issues and often just leave). I don't even get a break from misbehaving students from main-school during my lessons as all of my classes are the 'isolation room' for people sent out of lesson though it is at least a teacher dealing with the behaviour issues - the Head of Sixth Form is trying to get this changed but there are very few teachers who can actually 'control' these misbehaving students.
Original post by Anonymous
Thanks for replying.

I (along with many others) have made the Head of Sixth form aware of the issues and we have had magnetic co-tag locks installed on the doors to the buildings however these haven't had any positive impact as now they force the doors open breaking the locks- the sixth form staff are very restricted to what they can do and are usually ignored by school management.

There is definitely a school-wide issue with behaviour and issues never actually get dealt with unless someone starts swearing at the head- lot's of staff are leaving due to the behaviour issues and poor management (and being replaced with supply teachers who don't do anything about behaviour issues and often just leave). I don't even get a break from misbehaving students from main-school during my lessons as all of my classes are the 'isolation room' for people sent out of lesson though it is at least a teacher dealing with the behaviour issues - the Head of Sixth Form is trying to get this changed but there are very few teachers who can actually 'control' these misbehaving students.

ugh that’s so annoying... maybe take it directly to the head?
Reply 4
ugh that’s so annoying... maybe take it directly to the head?

He is rarely on site but I have on multiple occasions expressed my concerns and frustrations to him- the response is always along the lines of "goodness me that is awful; thank you for doing such a good job with dealing with this" - I and my parents (amongst others) have emailed several times but just seem to get an apology and in some cases people have felt that the response is blaming them for the schools behaviour problems.
He is rarely on site but I have on multiple occasions expressed my concerns and frustrations to him- the response is always along the lines of "goodness me that is awful; thank you for doing such a good job with dealing with this" - I and my parents (amongst others) have emailed several times but just seem to get an apology and in some cases people have felt that the response is blaming them for the schools behaviour problems.

thats really unhelpful... the only other people i can think of to go to is the school board/the governers!
Reply 6
thats really unhelpful... the only other people i can think of to go to is the school board/the governers!

Looks like that is my plan for September although they have a habit of not noticing any problems (other than displays not having the correct colour paper or font)- failing that it shall be a "lovely" letter to my MP and I will be asking others to do the same.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.
Looks like that is my plan for September although they have a habit of not noticing any problems (other than displays not having the correct colour paper or font)- failing that it shall be a "lovely" letter to my MP and I will be asking others to do the same.

Thanks so much for your suggestions.

i think the MP letter would definitely give them a kick up the bum! i hope it works!

no problem :smile:
Reply 8
Call the police.

No, but seriously, your school is as messed up as mine.Thank the LORD I'm moving out from it :biggrin: They never do anything properly. I just give you my condolences mate, there's nothing to be done with stupid schools. You know how LONG I waited for the school to help me? 2 years. And nothing was even done. Leave it lol, don't give a damn. Why should you waste your time handling things that the STAFF IS SUPPOSED to do? DISAGREE WITH THEM. IF THEY HAVE A PROBLEM (woops, got a little carried away) then see who WILL WIN IF THIS GOES TO COURT.
Reply 9
Fingers crossed!
i think the MP letter would definitely give them a kick up the bum! i hope it works!

no problem :smile:
The problem if I don't deal with the issues myself is that I cannot actually concentrate to do anything with students messing around, vandalising stuff in around me, climbing on furniture. Unfortunately for me I seem to be one of the very few Sixth Formers who are confident enough to challenge the misbehaving students and usually successful in getting them to leave. I also cannot stand it when someone is rude and will challenge this- frequently I get told "f*** you" if I hold a door open which I challenge and report only for nothing to actually happen. I have made it clear though that am a student and not responsible for behaviour management.

With regards to staff- hardly any of them are actually permanent and most are supply teachers who don't want to get involved in behaviour management.

We also "don't do communication in this place" in the words of a former member of staff which makes everything worse as nobody knows what on earth is going on and on the rare occasion they do communicate it is always telling you that you should have been somewhere in the past or to go somewhere only to find that you didn't actually need to go there. Everyone is walking around clueless.
It is awful- I cannot wait to leave and am counting down the days until next summer.
Original post by liaente

No, but seriously, your school is as messed up as mine.Thank the LORD I'm moving out from it :biggrin: They never do anything properly. I just give you my condolences mate, there's nothing to be done with stupid schools.
Honestly it doesn't sound like you can change this. In that situation the best thing you can do is either stop doing the thing you don't want to do and accept the consequences of that or do it and accept itz worth doing to avoid the consequences.
It's just so frustrating not being able to solve the issues particularly as a rather proactive person. I have been trying to spend as much time off-site as possible but this isn't ideal as it does mean I loose out on interaction with my fellow Sixth Formers.

Looks very much like a letter to my MP.
Original post by doodle_333
Honestly it doesn't sound like you can change this. In that situation the best thing you can do is either stop doing the thing you don't want to do and accept the consequences of that or do it and accept itz worth doing to avoid the consequences.
Give it a go but honestly this is the sort of cultural thing that takes more than a year to solve. OFSTED are worth a try too, if they get enough complaints it can trigger an inspection. I know it's frustrating but that's life, there will be many of these situations.
It's just so frustrating not being able to solve the issues particularly as a rather proactive person. I have been trying to spend as much time off-site as possible but this isn't ideal as it does mean I loose out on interaction with my fellow Sixth Formers.

Looks very much like a letter to my MP.
Ofsted have been 'due' for several years now and we have had several 'mockstead' days in which disruptive students have been sent on 'trips'Defininately will give it a go if nothing has changed by September- fortunately I have finished for the summer now.
Original post by doodle_333
Give it a go but honestly this is the sort of cultural thing that takes more than a year to solve. OFSTED are worth a try too, if they get enough complaints it can trigger an inspection. I know it's frustrating but that's life, there will be many of these situations.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending