The Student Room Group

A level help

I have chosen A level maths , A level computer science and level 3 btec ict for college is this good for a career in computer science
What are you predicted for maths gcse?
You should check potential universities you would like to go to to see if they accept those subjects
I know for sure i should be getting an 8 but silly mistakes(mistaking sphere and hemisphere) and time management(spending too long on questions that were 2-3 marks and leaving an easy 5 marker at the back) cost me so I might be getting a 7 even though I know I am fully capable of an 8 and potentially a 9 if I revised earlier as I only started revising like 2 months before my exams and my target was a 9 but looks like I’ll be getting a very high 7(I’ve looked at mark scheme online)

Original post by Sparklerose
What are you predicted for maths gcse?
Original post by A levels help !
I know for sure i should be getting an 8 but silly mistakes(mistaking sphere and hemisphere) and time management(spending too long on questions that were 2-3 marks and leaving an easy 5 marker at the back) cost me so I might be getting a 7 even though I know I am fully capable of an 8 and potentially a 9 if I revised earlier as I only started revising like 2 months before my exams and my target was a 9 but looks like I’ll be getting a very high 7(I’ve looked at mark scheme online)

So maths A level should be ok for you, just make sure the universities you want to go to allow the BTEC ICT
Yeah the reason I chose it was because I wasn’t sure of another alternative because I don’t want to do physics (not needed for computer science anyway as it’s needed for engineering) and I’ve seen people get into good courses with a level 3 btec ICT and I’m somewhat interested in a apprenticeship/degree apprenticeship (if I can find a good one)so a btec will show practical work for that and it means less exam stress but I’m not sure, I was thinking business but don’t think it is needed. Also my college makes us do 4 AS levels and 3 A-levels in the second year and btec combinations are allowed

So maths A level should be ok for you, just make sure the universities you want to go to allow the BTEC ICT
Yeah the reason I chose it was because I wasn’t sure of another alternative because I don’t want to do physics (not needed for computer science anyway as it’s needed for engineering) and I’ve seen people get into good courses with a level 3 btec ICT and I’m somewhat interested in a apprenticeship/degree apprenticeship (if I can find a good one)so a btec will show practical work for that and it means less exam stress but I’m not sure, I was thinking business but don’t think it is needed. Also my college makes us do 4 AS levels and 3 A-levels in the second year and btec combinations are allowed

Certainly A level Maths and Computer science are the subjects needed for CS. I have some concern the Btec you have chosen maybe too similar a subject to your computer science A level. it might be worth you ringing a few universities to see what they tell you. Otherwise your 3rd subject can be anything you wish to do other than general studies. How would you feel about something different like engineering,economics, accountancy, sociology, politics or law. Whatever you decide it needs to be something you enjoy and will do well at.
I’m thinking of doing business or media(as I like media) as my 4th subject and seeing what happens after the first year and if I have to drop something and talk to people there about what to do and also business is something which I heard isn’t too hard so I think I’ll be fine. And my college don’t offer engineering ,economics, accounting a levels
(edited 4 years ago)
I think the most important issue is to check whether the universities are likely to accept btec in IT and A level Computer science. You could have the option of taking an extended btec in IT and not taking A level CS if they dont. If they will accept both you dont have a problem. What options do your college offer as Accountancy and Economics are very widely offered.
Original post by A levels help !
I’m thinking of doing business as my 4th subject and seeing what happens after the first year and if I have to drop something and talk to people there about what to do and also business is something which I heard isn’t too hard so I think I’ll be fine. And my college don’t offer engineering ,economics, accounting a levels

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending