The Student Room Group

Prestigious UK Uni's?

I'm moving from California to get my masters in International Relations/Security Studies at a university in the UK. Don't know too much about what schools are most "notable" but so far I have UCL, QMUL, Royal Holloway, Bristol, Richmond the American University in London, & Loughborough... where do I go? If I wanted to stay in the UK after my masters, which school would look the best on my resume to get a job?

Scroll to see replies

I would personally pick Loughborough because I don't want to be crippled by property costs. But for your course it may be well worth checking the London universities such as UCL as it would be easier to get a job after. Also look at Unistats and various rankings to get a feel on jobs and how good the university is.
Original post by jellloyelllo
I'm moving from California to get my masters in International Relations/Security Studies at a university in the UK. Don't know too much about what schools are most "notable" but so far I have UCL, QMUL, Royal Holloway, Bristol, Richmond the American University in London, & Loughborough... where do I go? If I wanted to stay in the UK after my masters, which school would look the best on my resume to get a job?

can't go wrong with russel group uni's
They made me an offer for admission if I were to get a 3.42 gpa. However, when I applied I sent my final transcript in, in which I had 3.39. I've since graduated so obviously have no way of raising my gpa so I'm hoping their willing to reconsider... don't really know how it works though
Original post by SomMC1
If you can, get into UCL. By far the most prestigious name worldwide. Dont expect an easy fight to get a spot @ UCL tho, sadly..
are russel group uni's better than others? what makes them better? I really have no idea lol
Original post by Laurence863
can't go wrong with russel group uni's
Loughborough post grad program is actually near stratford! they just built a campus on the olympic grounds. I just don't know how reputable their university is for a masters program which is why im hesitant
Original post by Beasty990
I would personally pick Loughborough because I don't want to be crippled by property costs. But for your course it may be well worth checking the London universities such as UCL as it would be easier to get a job after. Also look at Unistats and various rankings to get a feel on jobs and how good the university is.
They made me an offer for admission if I were to get a 3.42 gpa. However, when I applied I sent my final transcript in, in which I had 3.39. I've since graduated so obviously have no way of raising my gpa so I'm hoping their willing to reconsider... don't really know how it works though

oh wow thats just a marginal fail. you havent heard from them since?? did you call them? if not, you really should tomorrow
No! I've been emailing frantically because if they're willing to relook my application it would literally be the best thing ever lol. Yet no reply. Since I live in America I can't call out of the country but my boyfriend lives in the UK I'm making him call tomorrow because I literally need my answer now if I'm denied or not
Original post by SomMC1
oh wow thats just a marginal fail. you havent heard from them since?? did you call them? if not, you really should tomorrow
No! I've been emailing frantically because if they're willing to relook my application it would literally be the best thing ever lol. Yet no reply. Since I live in America I can't call out of the country but my boyfriend lives in the UK I'm making him call tomorrow because I literally need my answer now if I'm denied or not

Why cant you call out the country? Too expensive? You really need contact with the damn school. Going to UCL is miles different than another school. UCL is next level. Wish you good luck, let us know how it ends!
Yeah I can't call internationally. But I am definitely trying to get this sorted very very soon. But wow, that's great to know I didn't realize how respected UCL was honestly. But thank you so much!!
Original post by SomMC1
Why cant you call out the country? Too expensive? You really need contact with the damn school. Going to UCL is miles different than another school. UCL is next level. Wish you good luck, let us know how it ends!
are russel group uni's better than others? what makes them better? I really have no idea lol

russell group = british ivy league.

UCL I would probably describe as the British version of Stanford, so if you can get there, go for it. The other unis arent bad either (Bristol and Loughborough are more known for sports, with the latte rbeing good for finance degrees).

In case your wondering about other Ivy comparisons: Oxford & Cambridge = Harvard, Yale, MIT; Imperial would be like Princeton (that is based on what I have read tbh so could be wildly inacurate)
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by quasa
russell group = british ivy league.

UCL I would probably describe as the British version of Stanford, so if you can get there, go for it. The other unis arent bad either (Bristol and Loughborough are more known for sports, with the latte rbeing good for finance degrees).

In case your wondering about other Ivy comparisons: Oxford & Cambridge = Harvard, Yale, MIT; Imperial would be like Princeton (that is based on what I have read tbh so could be wildly inacurate)

St Andrews, Surrey, Bath, Loughborough, and some subject specific unis like Strathclyde, UEA etc...

I would go to one of these over some of the lower ranked "Russell Group" unis any day.
(edited 4 years ago)
There are some very good universities in the Russell (two L's) Group, but there are some which really aren't as good. The Russell Group is a group of self-appointed universities who created the RG to promote themselves. The RG is nothing like the Ivy League and it's a fairly recent organisation, having been set up after the old polytechnics converted to university status in the early 1990s.

There are excellent universities in the RG but, equally, a university does not need to be in the RG to be excellent.

Always go where you think you'll have the best experience for you. Some people hate big cities and for those people, UCL would be a nightmare.
(edited 4 years ago)

If you want to study anything related to security you really should consider King's College, London.

Lots more research needed. IR is very competitive, there are lots of international students, not unexpectedly, and going to a recognised university can be a positive. however, that list you've got there is a complete mixed bag of excellent through to unheard of, and none of them are the leading IR places.

St Andrews, Warwick, Aberystwyth, Sussex are just for starters. Keep UCL and Bristol on your list and ditch the rest.
surprised you haven't mentioned St Andrews, as my alma mater has the best IR department in the UK along with LSE, and is famous for it's intake of American students, who are few and far between everywhere else

Hi there,

I'd recommend my undergraduate university, Queen's University of Belfast- great module and master's choices e.g MA Violence, Terrorism and Security; MA Global Security and Borders; etc. Also Michael Bourne teaches there (a leading Security and Technology Studies author and researcher who I studied under and is a referee for me), and the uni regularly runs public conferences and talks on related subjects. It is additionally a member of the RG group, which does help the unit's international profile (no matter what you think of the RG selection process itself).

If you're more inclined towards military history I can recommend the University of Leeds MA War and Strategy (which I'm on)- covers the span of human history, but is not really focused on Security Studies itself as a field.

I would not recommend St. Andrews- whilst it has a weighty international status factor, a friend of mind did their IR-related master's there and was unimpressed by the teaching and course choices.

Hope this helps :smile:
Hey jellloyelllo! I'm from California too and ill be starting my Masters in International Public Policy this Fall at either UCL or QMUL. We should connect!
Original post by CaptainY
Hey jellloyelllo! I'm from California too and ill be starting my Masters in International Public Policy this Fall at either UCL or QMUL. We should connect!

how could anyone possibly consider UCL *and* QMUL together other than the fact they're both in London? i hope you've visited. QMUL is like a university version of London itself... in other words a shithole, whereas UCL is at least a research powerhouse. do consider unis outside of London though.
Original post by A Rolling Stone
how could anyone possibly consider UCL *and* QMUL together other than the fact they're both in London? i hope you've visited. QMUL is like a university version of London itself... in other words a shithole, whereas UCL is at least a research powerhouse. do consider unis outside of London though.

$$$$$$$$$$$ Its all about the Benjamin's baby. I have plenty of funding for QMUL and not UCL. In the US, neither of these universities are well known so name recognition is not a factor for me. I am not necessarily going into research either.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending