The Student Room Group

is 4 a levels and an AS too much? help!!!

I have five subjects that I absolutely love and know I will do well in and can't decide which to eliminate!

1. A level French
2. Pre-U philosophy & theology
3. Pre-U English
4. Pre-U art history
5. A level/AS Italian

I know that doing 5 a levels will kill me, so I'm thinking of doing 3 and an AS in Italian, as this is the only one out of all my options that my school offers as an AS, or, if I really want to push myself, 4 and a half.

I made the mistake of doing too many GCSEs and would not like a repeat of that. I am also quite involved with a few extra-curriculars and would still like to have half a social life! that being said, I am a perfectionist and a hard worker.

I am semi bilingual in both French and Italian, so these will be easier. I have also been preparing for the language side of French a level for a year now and am doing my B2 exam next year.

in regards to the future, I'd like to try for Oxford by applying for a joint honours in French and English/philosophy - I haven't made up my mind yet.

help a girl out!!!

:smile:

edit: just realised it's summer and im probably the only freak on here ahaha
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I am going to be completely honest here I think you should stick with 3, if your capable of doing four go for it HOWEVER if your not getting A* in all of them then you should do 3 and spend that time spent on the fourth subject on the three.

4 and a half is crazy I think your underestimating A levels especially in this day and age. If you overwork and don't give your brain time to relax that will be the end of you. Your gonna experience the 2 hardest years of your life . Make it count.
Telling you from experience.Trust me.
Good luck!
(edited 4 years ago)
There is absolutely no point whatsoever in doing more than 3 subjects. Universities won't find it impressive and they'll just ignore the extra subject and ask for 3 grades.

My advice is this: do 3 subjects. If you're really keen about more subjects, then learn about them in your spare time or ask your school if you can audit the classes but not do any of the coursework/exams. You can just go to the classes, sit in and listen to the teacher.

Seriously - only do 3. You'll be adding extra stress and pressure to yourself for no gain. You might think to yourself that you can get amazing grades on all 4 or 5 subjects but is it really worth the risk? It never is because the reward is no different than doing 3 subjects.
no, doesn't seem too much. Maybe you like to challenge yourself and maybe you like studying what you have been offered. I'm sure you find your own set of rewards studying what you wanted to study like everyone else would. Doesn't hurt to be above average.
It doesn't hurt your right. But it will hurt when you realize its too late.
Original post by rcmotorboy
no, doesn't seem too much. Maybe you like to challenge yourself and maybe you like studying what you have been offered. I'm sure you find your own set of rewards studying what you wanted to study like everyone else would. Doesn't hurt to be above average.

Let me re-emphasize that this person is considering doing 4 A levels and an AS!
Unless this person can speak Italian and French well do 3 A levels, I cannot stress this enough.
If you can't help it do 3 a levels and an AS level but down to reality all your gonna end up doing is dropping the AS lets be serious now.
I am not saying its impossible.
Then again this is for your own good.
I wish you the best and may your decision be for the best @ aliciaalorenzo
(edited 4 years ago)
It depends on you and only you. Are you extremely hard-working, organised and passionate about your subjects? Did you do well in these subjects at GCSE? Are they relevant to whatever you'd like to study at university?
Be honest with yourself and then make a decision, remember that most sixth forms and colleges provide an option to drop any after AS, so if you find it too difficult to manage then that can be your plan b.

I have students who are did as many as 5 A levels with EPQs this year. It's definitely possible, but they're not the type to waste every weekend drunk or going out. They work incredibly hard and wait until the summer period to really enjoy themselves. Do you have that kind of discipline? Are you organised enough to stick to revision schedules?

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
It's certainly possible, but only you will know if it's realistic or not.

The 3 Pre-U courses are driven by quite heavy content, and to do well you need to be on top of all the work. The 2 languages, on the other hand, are driven by a thorough understanding of the use of French/Italian in all contexts, plus the 1 or 2 literature set texts.

Personally, I would either go with a choice of 1 language, or drop History of Art or RS and take both languages.
Original post by aliciaalorenzo
I have five subjects that I absolutely love and know I will do well in and can't decide which to eliminate!

1. A level French
3. Pre-U English
4. Pre-U art history
5. A level/AS Italian

I know that doing 5 a levels will kill me, so I'm thinking of doing 3 and an AS in Italian, as this is the only one out of all my options that my school offers as an AS, or, if I really want to push myself, 4 and a half.

I made the mistake of doing too many GCSEs and would not like a repeat of that. I am also quite involved with a few extra-curriculars and would still like to have half a social life!

help a girl out!!!

Reply 7
I did 4 A-levels and an AS in French (the AS was over both years). But, one of the 4 was further maths (so less work than 4 distinct subjects as you'll be doing) and I was already semi-fluent in French. And I still regretted taking French.
Pre-Us are also pretty intensive courses - more so than A-levels I think - so I recommend 3 + an AS. It's all you'll need.
DO NOT DO 4 YOU WILL REGRET IT
Doesn't matter how academically capable you are - it will still be overwhelming
Original post by Volg Paterson
It doesn't hurt your right. But it will hurt when you realize its too late.

Let me re-emphasize that this person is considering doing 4 A levels and an AS!
Unless this person can speak Italian and French well do 3 A levels, I cannot stress this enough.
If you can't help it do 3 a levels and an AS level but down to reality all your gonna end up doing is dropping the AS lets be serious now.
I am not saying its impossible.
Then again this is for your own good.
I wish you the best and may your decision be for the best @ aliciaalorenzo

thank you so much!
I am almost fluent in both Italian and French, so that is why im picking them.
I have been doing the French a level course for a year now, so im well prepared! x
so ive realised that I am probably going to have to get rid of either art history or philosophy
thank you! the thing is, my main strength lies in my languages, and I want to apply for a French degree. I think im going to do 3 and an AS or 4, seeing as they are two a levels and two pre us xxx
Original post by Sinnoh
I did 4 A-levels and an AS in French (the AS was over both years). But, one of the 4 was further maths (so less work than 4 distinct subjects as you'll be doing) and I was already semi-fluent in French. And I still regretted taking French.
Pre-Us are also pretty intensive courses - more so than A-levels I think - so I recommend 3 + an AS. It's all you'll need.
thank you, definitely something to consider. also I love your profile! x

Original post by AcadeMia.
It depends on you and only you. Are you extremely hard-working, organised and passionate about your subjects? Did you do well in these subjects at GCSE? Are they relevant to whatever you'd like to study at university?
Be honest with yourself and then make a decision, remember that most sixth forms and colleges provide an option to drop any after AS, so if you find it too difficult to manage then that can be your plan b.

I have students who are did as many as 5 A levels with EPQs this year. It's definitely possible, but they're not the type to waste every weekend drunk or going out. They work incredibly hard and wait until the summer period to really enjoy themselves. Do you have that kind of discipline? Are you organised enough to stick to revision schedules?

Whatever you decide, best of luck.
i think that#s too much in all honesty. unis don't particularly care how many you do as long as you do 3 full a levels. you will be spreading yourself too thin and you may damage your mental health and your sanity tbqh. don't make the same mistake. if you're unsure what to drop, speak to your teachers. maybe read through online specifications.
at the end of the day though, it is your choice and you know in yourself what's right for you. good luck!
thank you, I think you're right x

Original post by Skeletonclique21
i think that#s too much in all honesty. unis don't particularly care how many you do as long as you do 3 full a levels. you will be spreading yourself too thin and you may damage your mental health and your sanity tbqh. don't make the same mistake. if you're unsure what to drop, speak to your teachers. maybe read through online specifications.
at the end of the day though, it is your choice and you know in yourself what's right for you. good luck!
I think you're right - im going to do both languages, so its just a question of either philosophy or art history. thank you! x
Original post by 学生の父
It's certainly possible, but only you will know if it's realistic or not.

The 3 Pre-U courses are driven by quite heavy content, and to do well you need to be on top of all the work. The 2 languages, on the other hand, are driven by a thorough understanding of the use of French/Italian in all contexts, plus the 1 or 2 literature set texts.

Personally, I would either go with a choice of 1 language, or drop History of Art or RS and take both languages.
no worries, hope it all works out for you :smile: x
I think you're right - im going to do both languages, so its just a question of either philosophy or art history. thank you! x

1. A level French
3. Pre-U English
4. Pre-U art history
5. A level/AS Italian

I made the mistake of doing too many GCSEs and would not like a repeat of that. I am also quite involved with a few extra-curriculars and would still like to have half a social life! that being said, I am a perfectionist and a hard worker.

I am semi bilingual in both French and Italian, so these will be easier. I have also been preparing for the language side of French a level for a year now and am doing my B2 exam next year.

in regards to the future, I'd like to try for Oxford by applying for a joint honours in French and English/philosophy - I haven't made up my mind yet.

help a girl out!!!

Hey, In all honesty A-levels are a huge step up from GCSE's. Its really up to you but it will be very hard to do well in all of them. Personally id rather do better in 4 than have 5 and not do as well. You can always do more qualifications after if you want to?
Hope this helps :smile:
Sophia
thank you, definitely something to consider. also I love your profile! x

Thank you darling.
Reply 19
I would say not to do more than 3 A-Levels because you'll crash and burn. All 3 of mine are essay subjects (one being French) and it's a struggle. Also all of my friends are in the same boat as me.

Quick Reply

Latest