The Student Room Group

Having doubts about the course I’ve applied to

So the original goal for me was always marine biology but I developed and interest in palaeontology and applied and hold an conditional offer for palaeo. I’ve already met the conditions of the offer I’m just waiting for my certificates to come in the post to prove it to the university. The past few days I’ve been wondering if I made a mistake and should have applied for marine biology instead. I know they have clearing vacancies at University of Exeter (Penryn Campus) for marine biology as I’ve checked. I loved it when I visited there but I’m confused about whether I really want to go there to study marine biology or whether I’m just freaking out. I had an offer to study evolutionary biology with them and I rejected it to accept the offer for palaeontology. Would this go against me if I did go through clearing for marine biology there?
Original post by HobbinsE
So the original goal for me was always marine biology but I developed and interest in palaeontology and applied and hold an conditional offer for palaeo. I’ve already met the conditions of the offer I’m just waiting for my certificates to come in the post to prove it to the university. The past few days I’ve been wondering if I made a mistake and should have applied for marine biology instead. I know they have clearing vacancies at University of Exeter (Penryn Campus) for marine biology as I’ve checked. I loved it when I visited there but I’m confused about whether I really want to go there to study marine biology or whether I’m just freaking out. I had an offer to study evolutionary biology with them and I rejected it to accept the offer for palaeontology. Would this go against me if I did go through clearing for marine biology there?

It wouldn't work against you, but why did you move away from the idea of evolutionary biology at Penryn, and why are you now so conflicted between Palaeontology and Marine Biology? If you are so undecided about your degree subject, have you considered taking a Year Out to research these careers a bit more?
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by harrysbar
It wouldn't work against you, but why did you move away from the idea of evolutionary biology at Penryn, and why are you now so conflicted between Palaeontology and Marine Biology? If you are so undecided about your degree subject, have you considered taking a Year Out to research these careers a bit more?

I took 2 years out after I finished school before picking a college course, I’m 20 and have done nothing but research since I was 15. I think I’m just freaking out because after all this time there’s nothing standing in my way. The only reason I reject the offer from Penryn was because I felt it was too far away from my family (7 hours on a train or 6 hours driving) but I’m now realising this is about my future not my family and maybe I shouldn’t have reject that offer as that was the campus and town I felt most comfortable in.
Original post by HobbinsE
I took 2 years out after I finished school before picking a college course, I’m 20 and have done nothing but research since I was 15. I think I’m just freaking out because after all this time there’s nothing standing in my way. The only reason I reject the offer from Penryn was because I felt it was too far away from my family (7 hours on a train or 6 hours driving) but I’m now realising this is about my future not my family and maybe I shouldn’t have reject that offer as that was the campus and town I felt most comfortable in.

There will be other unis closer to home offering Marine Biology.

However, if Exeter is the one that really appeals to you the most, I would give their Admissions a call to discuss your options. They won't mind that you previously rejected them - they don't take things like that personally as it happens all the time and their job is just to try to help applicants get into the uni.
Reply 4
Original post by harrysbar
There will be other unis closer to home offering Marine Biology.

However, if Exeter is the one that really appeals to you the most, I would give their Admissions a call to discuss your options. They won't mind that you previously rejected them - they don't take things like that personally as it happens all the time and their job is just to try to help applicants get into the uni.

Thank you, I think I’ll give them a call :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending