The Student Room Group

Majority of British people have no religion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Good, long may it continue!

Funny thing is when 'no religion' occupies the majority of the world, this category will treat the religious with more decency than they have ever treated us.
Sounds bout right.
false
Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
Religious organisations are going to have to work on figuring out where they are going wrong

That is not too difficult a problem, is it? They are peddling beliefs that are now known by educated and rational people to be nonsensical. Just as manufacturers of wig powder and crossing sweepers had to turn to other avenues as the world moved on, so too will purveyors of religion in the western democracies.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Funny thing is when 'no religion' occupies the majority of the world, this category will treat the religious with more decency than they have ever treated us.

This will happen, but not in your lifetime; it will be a slow, if inexorable, process for education and rationality to overcome superstition. The forces of darkness are still dominant in many parts of the world, especially in Asia and Africa.
Reply 24
This makes me happy. The only significant positive (for me) of religion in the UK is that it's responsible for many beautiful buildings, but I think religious architecture peaked a long time ago so the lack of new ones won't really bother me.
The only darkness here is atheism.
Original post by Good bloke
This will happen, but not in your lifetime; it will be a slow, if inexorable, process for education and rationality to overcome superstition. The forces of darkness are still dominant in many parts of the world, especially in Asia and Africa.
Sounds like you have been around the wrong “religious” crowd
everyone submits to something. i choose our creator Allah.
Original post by searching123job
The only darkness here is atheism.

:toofunny:

Of course it is. You just cling on to your indoctrinated superstitious comfort blanket and I'm sure the monsters under the bed will leave you alone.
Nice, so religious folk are not educated nor rational?
false

That is not too difficult a problem, is it? They are peddling beliefs that are now known by educated and rational people to be nonsensical. Just as manufacturers of wig powder and crossing sweepers had to turn to other avenues as the world moved on, so too will purveyors of religion in the western democracies.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I actually think young people are highly religious, they just follow ideologies that aren't called 'religions'

For example the red-pilled right wing groups are incredibly religious to me. They have their tennants that you have to follow, material you have to read, their preachers you listen to, jordan peterson for example.. whose speachers are increadbly similar to that of a religious preacher. Being red-pilled is basically like converting to a new religion. The core tenant is the belief in the individual above all else, and whether their is a god or not makes no difference, because the individual is holy entity in effect.

I have read Jordan Peterson’s book and all he talks about is cleaning your room,comparing yourself to who you were yesterday, standing straight with your shoulders back.

what does he have to do with the right wing or red pill lol. He encourages men and women to be better and ambitious
(edited 4 years ago)

With the exception of China

There are no punishments for apostasy in your institutionalised superstition, then? And no tithes, zakat, or jizya? No history of sending out people to convert non-believers at the point of a sword, or by the threat to the superstitious and ignorant of eternal damnation? No massacres of non-believers?

That would be a unique religion.
(edited 4 years ago)
Checkmate.

Although there is a lot more that can be said.
Original post by SuperHuman98
Nice, so religious folk are not educated nor rational?

I didn't say that. Education has the benefit of increasing the chances of people realising that the superstitious nonsense their parents and leaders have drummed into them with the aim of controlling their behaviour has no basis in reality. Over time they gain the courage of their convictions and move away from the nonsense. It can take a generation or two for those that are heavily indoctrinated but such indoctrination, outside Islam and orthodox Judaism, is very rare in the west now.

Of course, I never said it would happen in my lifetime.

All the same.
Original post by SuperHuman98

Checkmate.

Although there is a lot more that can be said.

The point still stands, atheists will treat theists better than theists ever have.
Couldn’t be more mistaken. This is just a gross generalisation
All the same.
Couldn’t be more mistaken. This is just a gross generalisation

Afraid not, religion no matter what crowd, discriminates.

You talk about generalisations but then say 'the only darkness here is atheism' and agree with a fellow user that because China's government doesn't treat believers in its country well that must mean all atheists won't treat theists well.

I'd be wary of accusing someone of generalising.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending