The Student Room Group

Majority of British people have no religion

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Trotsky's Iceaxe
The results from the most recent British Attitudes Survey are out. 52% of British people now identify as non-religious. For 18-34 year olds, only 36% have a religion.

Guardian article: https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/11/uk-secularism-on-rise-as-more-than-half-say-they-have-no-religion

Full report: http://www.bsa.natcen.ac.uk/latest-report/british-social-attitudes-36/religion.aspx

As most people do not magically discover religion later in life, it is reasonable to assume the percentage of non-religious people will continue to increase in the future. Religious organisations are going to have to work on figuring out where they are going wrong or risk becoming increasingly irrelevant.

I think attitudes to religion are changing fast, in the UK at least.

I have been supervising some Year 7 RE lessons recently (not my usual job, don't ask) - and have been surprised by how sceptical they already are by the age of 11/12 about their parents' religion. This is across the board and includes C of E, Catholic, Muslim as well as atheist children - all respectfully listening to each other's views and coming to their own opinion, imagine that.
Nope, I didn’t say that at all, the other user highlighted an exception, which was a good point, and one that is clear to see. I additionally said a lot more can be said, but didnt say anything beyond that.

On the other hand, you came out with a generalised statement, brushing all religious folk with a single stroke. I am not here to play games about semantics.

And yes, it is darkness, whether you like it or not.
Original post by TheNamesBond.
Afraid not, religion no matter what crowd, discriminates.

You talk about generalisations but then say 'the only darkness here is atheism' and agree with a fellow user that because China's government doesn't treat believers in its country well that must mean all atheists won't treat theists well.

I'd be wary of accusing someone of generalising.
Original post by searching123job
Nope, I didn’t say that at all, the other user highlighted an exception, which was a good point, and one that clear to see. I additionally a lot more can be said, but didnt say anything beyond that.

On the other hand, you came out with a generalised statement, brushing all religious folk with a single stroke. I am not here to play games about semantics.

How is stating "It is darkness" not a generalised statement?

And why is it darkness?
Original post by harrysbar
And why is it darkness?

Because it isn't Islam, of course!

The true light can only be seen if you stop people making apostates of themselves, if you make sure everyone pays money to the religious authorities, and if you embark on a seriies of supposedly defensive wars in order to spread the nonsense.
Nope, I didn’t say that at all, the other user highlighted an exception, which was a good point, and one that is clear to see. I additionally said a lot more can be said, but didnt say anything beyond that.

It is not a good point, China does not occupy all of the world's atheists, moreover, the treatment of believers is co-ordinated by the Chinese government, not the Chinese people.

All religions do discriminate, they all fabricate ideas and push them onto others, this is religion.

Instead of saying it's darkness, do explain yourself, it would be far more beneficial to you.
Yes, indeed. Hit the nail on the head.
Original post by Good bloke
Because it isn't Islam, of course!

The true light can only be seen if you stop people making apostates of themselves, if you make sure everyone pays money to the religious authorities, and if you embark on a seriies of supposedly defensive wars in order to spread the nonsense.
Original post by z-hog
Dreaming of an Islamic Republic, are we?

You may say that I’m a dreamer, but I’m not the only one.
Yes, indeed. Hit the nail on the head.

You're either a troll and therefore an idiot, or actually an idiot and therefore an idiot.
Reply 48
Original post by gr8wizard10
everyone submits to something. i choose our creator Allah.

Ah yes the miraculous "choice" of coincidentally finding the one true path that also happens to be your family's "choice".
Original post by RogerOxon
The lack of evidence points to Atheism.

Just lol at this gold-plated nonsense. You'd never make a detective.

But can you imagine if detectives behaved this way? Imagine, after investigating a crime scene, a detective were to conclude “I do not accept that any crime occurred here.” When asked why, the detective replied, “I do not find any of the alleged evidence convincing.” The next natural question is, “What sort of evidence would you have expected that you don’t find?” Imagine if the detective were to reply, “I have no idea!” Would you have any confidence in this detective’s ability? I know I wouldn’t. Being able to discern what potential evidence would look like is the first prerequisite to investigating a crime scene, and any detective who can’t do that is not worth hiring.

The same is true for skeptics. Anyone claiming to be a skeptic who cannot tell you what evidence for God might look like is no real skeptic at all. They are just ignorant, and they refuse to accept the responsibility for their own ignorance.
Original post by fallen_acorns
I actually think young people are highly religious, they just follow ideologies that aren't called 'religions'

For example the red-pilled right wing groups are incredibly religious to me. They have their tennants that you have to follow, material you have to read, their preachers you listen to, jordan peterson for example.. whose speachers are increadbly similar to that of a religious preacher. Being red-pilled is basically like converting to a new religion. The core tenant is the belief in the individual above all else, and whether their is a god or not makes no difference, because the individual is holy entity in effect.

Equally on the far-left you have the exact same thing within feminist/LGBT circles. They have their comandments, their leaders and preachers, things you can't say, ways you must live... people who should be condemed etc. Their 'god' is equality. Equality will solve all problems, and is a holy thing that should always be worked towards all the time.. if equality is reached the world will be great.

For me, I think that there was a genuine decline in religious following among the boomers and gen X. But millenials and gen z are now finding that without religion there is a hole in their lives and a lack of meaning... for the boomers+X, they got away with being less religious because their parents, grandparents and society as a whole was still overwhelmingly religious, so they recieved the bennifits, whilst being able to rebel themselves. But for the new generations, they are being raised without religion, in societies that are also empty of religion, and they find it empty and meaningless.. so they are going out and finding new 'religions', its just those religions aren't the traditional ones, and we don't call them 'religions'.

If anything there is actually more meaning to life without religion.With religion you are basically just waiting for death and what comes after.Without it; death is the thing which holds no meaning.Life is all there is.So it means everything.

As for your other point I think you are stretching the definition of religion somewhat.
Religions generally worship things unproven to exist.If you are going to use that logic then you could say that Aston Villa supporters are religious for example.
Original post by fallen_acorns
what do you want it replaced by? Atheism? Or Islam?

I would hope it's replaced by reason and empiricism instead personally.
Nice, so religious folk are not educated nor rational?

It depends on the measure but if you're taking into account developed nations vs developing nations then the majority of the former are mostly relatively secular.

https://www.newsweek.com/less-religious-countries-more-prosperous-study-says-1032778

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/maps-and-graphics/most-religious-countries-in-the-world/amp/
Original post by James2312
Religions generally worship things unproven to exist.

Please see the post right before yours. I realise you may not have seen it as you were typing.

Try setting up atheism as a null hypothesis H0 (although from the standpoint of overall human history it's the exact opposite), and set a suitable confidence level for accepting or rejecting this H0. Then run a suitable test and see if the result falls in the 'critical region'.
Original post by Justvisited
Just lol at this gold-plated nonsense. You'd never make a detective.

Tired clichés and nonsense.

A detective seeks evidence that can be used in a court to secure a conviction. There's never been any evidence for a God like deity that stands up to actual scrutiny, that can't be explained in a rational manner to have nothing to do with a cloud dwelling figure from mythology.
Ah, another educated and rational atheist. :congrats:
Original post by Drewski
You're either a troll and therefore an idiot, or actually an idiot and therefore an idiot.
Even religion in the Middle East is slowly but surely in decline.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-48703377

And religion in the US too.

https://www.pewforum.org/religious-landscape-study/

https://religionnews.com/2018/12/10/religion-declining-in-importance-for-many-americans-especially-for-millennials/

It appears that younger generations from various regions around the globe are abandoning religion, thank goodness.
Ah, another educated and rational atheist. :congrats:

Incorrect.

Apathetic agnostic. I don't know, and I don't care.
Original post by Justvisited
Please see the post right before yours. I realise you may not have seen it as you were typing.

Try setting up atheism as a null hypothesis H0 (although from the standpoint of overall human history it's the exact opposite), and set a suitable confidence level for accepting or rejecting this H0. Then run a suitable test and see if the result falls in the 'critical region'.

Atheism is the default position.Until you provide evidence then God along with Santa Claus, faeries,leprechauns,ghostsand unicorns can be assumed not to exist.
You will be burning in brimstone while I am sharing margaritas with Papa Jesus in the clouds.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending