The Student Room Group

Majority of British people have no religion

Scroll to see replies

Wow, ngl I cannot believe the comments here. Despite Christianity being the most persecuted minorities in the world, people are glad that it's gone. Why does the most persecuted religion in the world receive the least sympathy?

This is not good news because people will have to find new replacements and nothing is a better alternative than Christianity.

Keep dreaming atheists because while religion is on the decline in Europe, due to atheist birth rates being so low, the atheist population will actually decline in the coming decades.

And besides, being atheist or "agnostic" really isn't 'cool' nowadays nor does it correlate to higher intelligence
Original post by CAB18022
This is not good news because people will have to find new replacements and nothing is a better alternative than Christianity.

Why will people have to find new replacements? They could become agnostic/atheist, which is what most people do when they turn away from the religion they were brought up believing
And besides, being atheist or "agnostic" really isn't 'cool' nowadays nor does it correlate to higher intelligence

Well no it's the norm now, the norm is never cool, but the norm is more persuasive than cool.
(edited 4 years ago)
Wow, ngl I cannot believe the comments here. Despite Christianity being the most persecuted minorities in the world, people are glad that it's gone. Why does the most persecuted religion in the world receive the least sympathy?

Keep dreaming atheists because while religion is on the decline in Europe, due to atheist birth rates being so low, the atheist population will actually decline in the coming decades.

Not really.Unlike religion being atheist isn't dependent on birth rates.And I'd tentatively suggest that people are glad it's going because of its millennia of misogyny and homophobia.Not to mention the decades of child sex abuse.
Original post by z-hog
People may not go to Church that much but the need to be religious about the world is still there, as so many people are on issues like the climate, transgenderism, feminism, abortion, animal rights, racism, veganism, membership of the EU, Trump... The BBC are like a temple to all that, it has become impossible to go anywhere near it without a sermon on any of those topics. The cultural takeover of the place has turned it into a Guardianista shrine.All wearing robes and exchanging funny handshakes.

I love how you manage to shoehorn your dislike of the BBC and the Guardian into completely unrelated topics.

[Citation needed]
Original post by Drewski
Tired clichés and nonsense.

A detective seeks evidence that can be used in a court to secure a conviction. There's never been any evidence for a God like deity that stands up to actual scrutiny, that can't be explained in a rational manner to have nothing to do with a cloud dwelling figure from mythology.

So once again, like every other acosmist who's ever posted here, you fail to provide any specific criteria for assessing evidence in the first place, instead blustering with a stream of verbiage coming straight from your spleen. Recuse yourself from this thread until you start thinking again.

Original post by James2312
Atheism is the default position.Until you provide evidence then God along with Santa Claus, faeries,leprechauns,ghostsand unicorns can be assumed not to exist.

You, too, fail to provide any reason to regard acosmism as a 'default', in the face of the generality of mankind of all ages. But no doubt, to a madman it's everyone else who's insane, right?

If you want modern equivalents of fairies, look no further than multiverses, UFOs and ETs. In contrast to the above, based on the total fruitlessness of all SETI projects to date, aETism has a very solid claim to standing as a default null hypothesis. It's amazing that people still bother to give "Fermi's paradox" any time of day whatsoever. There is no paradox.
Original post by James2312
Atheism is the default position.Until you provide evidence then God along with Santa Claus, faeries,leprechauns,ghostsand unicorns can be assumed not to exist.

false. Oxford did a study on this very subject. the default position is belief in a deity:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8510711/Belief-in-God-is-part-of-human-nature-Oxford-study.html
Apparently this is a sign of the end times in Christianity. Looks like Christianity already predicted something like this would happen.
Original post by Justvisited
So once again, like every other acosmist who's ever posted here, you fail to provide any specific criteria for assessing evidence in the first place, instead blustering with a stream of verbiage coming straight from your spleen. Recuse yourself from this thread until you start thinking again.

You, too, fail to provide any reason to regard acosmism as a 'default', in the face of the generality of mankind of all ages. But no doubt, to a madman it's everyone else who's insane, right?

If you want modern equivalents of fairies, look no further than multiverses, UFOs and ETs. In contrast to the above, based on the total fruitlessness of all SETI projects to date, aETism has a very solid claim to standing as a default null hypothesis. It's amazing that people still bother to give "Fermi's paradox" any time of day whatsoever. There is no paradox.

It is not on me to prove the absence of something, you must prove the presence of something.

I am not averse to the notion of a God or Gods, but I'll not waste my time searching something out when I have no interest and nobody is willing to do anything other than insult me for not sharing their belief.

You can keep streaming verbal diarrhea at me all you like, but if all you're doing is attempting to call me stupid, you're not really giving me much reason to see things from your point of view, are you? Not really going to win me over to your cause.

Now, unless you decide to speak in a civil tone, it's you who should find the exit door and **** the **** off.
Imo this is good news. I dislike organised religion and think a lot of it is quite backwards. We can have a functioning society based on moral values without the presence of religion and the problems that come with it.
Original post by gr8wizard10
false. Oxford did a study on this very subject. the default position is belief in a deity:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/politics/8510711/Belief-in-God-is-part-of-human-nature-Oxford-study.html

You obviously don't understand the difference between 'predisposed to believe' and 'believe'.

I did give a reason.Atheism is a default in the same way afairy-ism is also a default.Its not the default to believe in fairies.Show me fairies exist and I'll get back to you.Until then they don't exist.
Original post by Professional G
Apparently this is a sign of the end times in Christianity. Looks like Christianity already predicted something like this would happen.

As does Islam. It is a means of keeping the troops' chins up when everything appears bad.

You seem incredibly muddled.

Your poor reasoning is merely demonstrating why atheism is on the increase. As I said in the OP, you need to reflect and figure out where you are going wrong if you wish your religious views to remain relevant.

You don't seem to care about what is true. I'm against persecution (with a reasonable definition), but for legitimate criticism. If you continue to believe fantastic claims without credible evidence, expect to be ridiculed.

You raise several points. The most important is that no superstitious belief deserves any sympathy - they are all equally nonsensical.

In addition, Christians have carried out their own share of persecution including their sending of armies to the Middle East in the form of crusades, and their persecution of dark ages pagans.
Just lol at this gold-plated nonsense. You'd never make a detective.

Detectives don't say "x did it", when there's no evidence that they did, or that they even exist!

How about putting together a reasoned post, rather than spewing assertions?
But can you imagine if detectives behaved this way? Imagine, after investigating a crime scene, a detective were to conclude “I do not accept that any crime occurred here.” When asked why, the detective replied, “I do not find any of the alleged evidence convincing.”

So you do not think a competent detective can examine a supposed crime scene and determine either that a crime has not taken place at all or that it did not take place as it appears at first glance? That seems to be perverse.

In any event, atheists know exactly what kind of evidence they seek - evidence that can be subjected to a scientific process coming from an independent source that has no history of falsifying evidence or of making preposterous claims.
Original post by SuperHuman98
I have read Jordan Peterson’s book and all he talks about is cleaning your room,comparing yourself to who you were yesterday, standing straight with your shoulders back.

what does he have to do with the right wing or red pill lol. He encourages men and women to be better and ambitious

I like him a lot - I think hes a very important voice, and his speeches are very enjoyable, i've listened to loads. He is a mixture of different things though, in part hes bassically a self-help guru, which is what you are refering to (the cleaning your room, standing straight etc.) but in part he is deeply political, and has railed against identity politics, equality of outcome, feminism, the idea of the patriarchy etc. All things that are on the right side of the current political spectrum, and very in line with red-pill thinking.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending