The Student Room Group

stuck on A level choices!

So far i'm set on choosing Maths and maybe Economics, and need to choose 1 more subject.. possibly Chemistry/Biology/Psychology, although i've been told Psychology isn't really worth it and it's better to choose a science.
any recommendations??
thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
It's hard to recommend subjects when we've got very little to go on.
Chemistry at A-level has a pretty big jump from GCSE in terms of the depth of what you learn - especially since GCSE knowledge won't help as much, since some of what you're told at GCSE is either false or vastly oversimplified. If you truly want to learn more about this subject then go for it, but don't go into it uninterested.

I don't really know anything about A-level psychology so can't comment on it.

If you're considering any kind of biological science or materials science or even chemical engineering for uni, then chemistry is your best bet for keeping that option open. If you want to take psychology at uni, you do not need psychology at A-level.
Reply 2
Original post by Sinnoh
It's hard to recommend subjects when we've got very little to go on.
Chemistry at A-level has a pretty big jump from GCSE in terms of the depth of what you learn - especially since GCSE knowledge won't help as much, since some of what you're told at GCSE is either false or vastly oversimplified. If you truly want to learn more about this subject then go for it, but don't go into it uninterested.

I don't really know anything about A-level psychology so can't comment on it.

If you're considering any kind of biological science or materials science or even chemical engineering for uni, then chemistry is your best bet for keeping that option open. If you want to take psychology at uni, you do not need psychology at A-level.

Thanks for the reply.

Well I’m thinking to pursue a career in finance hence why I’m choosing Maths and potentially Economics but am unsure of what other subject to choose. I do enjoy biology but have been told at A level it’s just a lot of memorisation. I do also like chemistry but sometimes at GCSE I found it difficult to understand concepts so I’m worried that I will struggle with studying Chemistry at A level, so I guess I’m stuck between Chemistry or Biology.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Having studied both Chemistry and Biology at A level, I personally found Chemistry much easier than Biology, but I think it’s very dependent on your learning style. Chemistry, for me, was a lot of past papers - I found it intuitive, and I only did minimal note taking for it. Certainly took a fair few hours less to revise, especially seen as roughly a third of the course, Physical Chemistry, is heavily maths based. However, I can imagine that if it doesn’t come naturally, it could be a pain to revise.

Biology on the other hand was a lot of note taking, and memorising. But, it requires a lot less conceptual thinking. I didn’t enjoy Biology much due to its very finicky mark scheme, and I felt a large part of the marks came down to exam technique. Funnily enough, now I’m studying Biology and Chemistry at degree level, I find myself favouring Biology. I think this might be down to the way A level Biology is structured.

I didn’t do Psychology, but from the tidbits I was fed by my friends who did it, like Biology, it’s a lot of memorisation, and a lot of case studies. Some research methods and statistics as well. A very humanities-ish STEM subject haha :tongue:

To be fair, I think it’s a very personal decision, based on how you like to revise. Any of those sciences will get you accepted into a finance based degree such as Economics, unless you’re looking at Oxbridge or LSE, where I’d recommend taking Further Maths. Only you know which you enjoy more content wise, and which subject has a revision style more suited to you.

Tl;dr, take which you feel you’d enjoy more, Chem is more past paper/concept based, Bio is more memorisation based, and Psych is even more memorisation with more essays thrown in.
If you want to do finance I would recommend something like Further maths, Business studies or Statistics instead of a science. If you’re not sure, a science might keep more doors open.
Reply 5
Original post by Amethyst_
So far i'm set on choosing Maths and maybe Economics, and need to choose 1 more subject.. possibly Chemistry/Biology/Psychology, although i've been told Psychology isn't really worth it and it's better to choose a science.
any recommendations??
thanks

According to my knowledge, psychology is really easy and a very fun subject , but honestly delending on what you are planning to study , i took business and economics because i knew i wanted to take business ever since i noticed my ability to memorize quickly and my love for the subject ever since year 10, so kf you want a literary stream focus on lamguages, business,economics, ethics, accounting and maybe maths, but business and econ has many graphs, calculations and a finance section so math may not be needed
i did biology chemistry and psychology at a level and i feel like psychology gets a lot of hate :frown: but on a serious note, i think it depends what you plan to do with your a levels
Reply 7
Also sciences are very difficult from after gcse , biology and chem and maths were hell to most students in 2019 , was even voted one of most difficult papers, it is a big jump from gcse, biology maybe the easiest if you can memorize quick, and retained most of the gcse topics, but i believe chemistry is so much more difficult for student because it focuses on formulas , memorization and understanding , and it is more in depth , so i would say focus on your needs and uni choice and major choice , what are you studying in uni can reflect on your A kevel choices because you shouldnt take sciences if you are eventually taking a subject thats so unrelated
any recommendations??
thanks
Reply 8
Original post by Skeletonclique21
i did biology chemistry and psychology at a level and i feel like psychology gets a lot of hate :frown: but on a serious note, i think it depends what you plan to do with your a levels

haha really! How did you find psychology if you don’t mind me asking? I had an induction lesson last week and the teacher done a quick summary of the specification and it seemed quite interesting, so hopefully it is!
haha really! How did you find psychology if you don’t mind me asking? I had an induction lesson last week and the teacher done a quick summary of the specification and it seemed quite interesting, so hopefully it is!

If you're interested in Psychology, go for it.

A lot of misinformed teachers and students believe that Psychology isn't a facilitating subject or that it's weak. The truth is that universities don't care about your subjects as long as you have the required subjects necessary for the degree (if there is one) and you get good grades.

That said, are you wanting to go to university? If so, do you know what you would like to potentially study? Further Maths might be a requirement for various courses so maybe you could do that. If, however, FM isn't a requirement for the degree that you'd like to do, Psychology sounds like a good choice.
Reply 10
Original post by Quick-use
If you're interested in Psychology, go for it.

A lot of misinformed teachers and students believe that Psychology isn't a facilitating subject or that it's weak. The truth is that universities don't care about your subjects as long as you have the required subjects necessary for the degree (if there is one) and you get good grades.

That said, are you wanting to go to university? If so, do you know what you would like to potentially study? Further Maths might be a requirement for various courses so maybe you could do that. If, however, FM isn't a requirement for the degree that you'd like to do, Psychology sounds like a good choice.

Thanks for the advice.

I would like to pursue a career in finance and I have looked on several universities websites for required subjects (which is Maths), so I am considering to do Maths, Economics and Psychology for my A levels.
as far as finance is concerned Maths will be the key subject and if your taking Economics with it the 3rd subject wont matter. Take whatever you feel you will enjoy and do well in.
Thanks for the advice.

I would like to pursue a career in finance and I have looked on several universities websites for required subjects (which is Maths), so I am considering to do Maths, Economics and Psychology for my A levels.

Sounds great!
Reply 13
Original post by swanseajack1
as far as finance is concerned Maths will be the key subject and if your taking Economics with it the 3rd subject wont matter. Take whatever you feel you will enjoy and do well in.

Thanks for the advice :smile:
Reply 14
Original post by Salim16
According to my knowledge, psychology is really easy and a very fun subject , but honestly delending on what you are planning to study , i took business and economics because i knew i wanted to take business ever since i noticed my ability to memorize quickly and my love for the subject ever since year 10, so kf you want a literary stream focus on lamguages, business,economics, ethics, accounting and maybe maths, but business and econ has many graphs, calculations and a finance section so math may not be needed

Original post by Salim16
Also sciences are very difficult from after gcse , biology and chem and maths were hell to most students in 2019 , was even voted one of most difficult papers, it is a big jump from gcse, biology maybe the easiest if you can memorize quick, and retained most of the gcse topics, but i believe chemistry is so much more difficult for student because it focuses on formulas , memorization and understanding , and it is more in depth , so i would say focus on your needs and uni choice and major choice , what are you studying in uni can reflect on your A kevel choices because you shouldnt take sciences if you are eventually taking a subject thats so unrelated

Thanks for the advice :smile:

honestly i loved it so much, definitely my favourite subject and it's the one i was doing best in and predicted the highest in. I definitely don't think it's for everyone though but if it seems interesting for you now, you probably will find the course interesting overall. definitely look online at the spec and textbooks if you can get hold of one
Further Maths would be preferable if you wanted to continue to do economics at e.g. LSE, Cambridge, etc. (something like 85% of successful applicants to LSE economics have FM). Otherwise as above, it doesn't really matter, just pick what you're most interested and think you'll be able to do best in.

Quick Reply

Latest