The Student Room Group

Have you ever bullied someone?

Or were you a bystander? Why did you do it and do you regret it, especially when you know that it might make someone very miserable?:frown:Go anonymous if you feel more comfortable.

Scroll to see replies

no i haven't, but i have qwitnessed people getting bullied, and i do question my self wether or not i should of stepped in to stop it but i didn't
nope ive never bullied someone. I was a bystander for around 5 minutes when someone was getting bullied (back in yr9) and then I told the bully to go **** himself and then he was racist to this poor kid so I punched him in the mouth, and that killed my hand and wrist for the rest of that week. I got placed in the intervention room.for three days and I was told off sternly like fifty times from different teachers.
Original post by Anonymous
Or were you a bystander? Why did you do it and do you regret it, especially when you know that it might make someone very miserable?:frown:Go anonymous if you feel more comfortable.

No I haven't but I have turned a blind eye to bullying when I was younger, which I now regret. These days I would be much more likely to challenge something I perceived as bullying
I wouldn't say I'd "bullied" people, but there have been a couple of times when I think our group of friends in general has taken "banter" too far over a period of time. But we've grown up, and we're all still friends (including the person at the wrong end of the misjudged "banter"), so I suppose we must be forgiven, if we did take it too far.

I was bullied myself, verbally and physically, the whole way through high school, so I would never want to intentionally make anyone feel the way I spent my whole life feeling at that time.
Got bullied briefly when I was a kid but was usually a bystander, I'd only consider getting involved if it was physical.
Teenage girls are the worst for bullying. Boys do more physical bullying in my experience, but girls do that excluding thing which is just as bad :frown: It's horrible to reflect on sh*tty things we did in the past, but better than pretending we're perfect I guess :dontknow:
Never . I hate bullies
in primary school i was a bully because i was kinda popular and i liked the attention (and i admit it is fun to now say that i used to be in those circles in primary school because of their beauty, charisma and wealth). paybacks a ***** cos i then got bullied severely and for a longer amount of time throughout secondary school.
i apologized to the people that i hurt (cried about it many times and wrote them long letters of apologies) and hopefully they don't have a vendetta against me. of course i regretted it for ages because i basically ruined these people's lives. i was projecting my pain and angsty home life onto people that trusted me.
i have never been a bystander and never will be. but ironically getting involved in something that didn't involve me actually lead on to the events of secondary school (i helped someone who was being bullied then they turned against me), and made my secondary school experience bitter and negative.
In year 7 I was part of a group who bullied someone, but I used to go up to the guy and try and get him to tell a teacher. Eventually though, one member of the group changed school, and the rest of us became friends with the guy being bullied. We stayed friends all through the rest of school.

Just to clarify, I do not agree with bullying. I personally have never bullied someone.
Not intentionally. Never.

There have been times when I knew my friends were doing it and I told them I didn't like it but never took an action to stop it. I was never a first-hand witness though (I know it still doesn't excuse me)

BUT I surprisingly got anonymous "hate" messages during school and even some pent-up abuse after graduating from girls I didn't even know existed that I was a "stuck-up" "know-it-all" "snobbish" ***** and that my grades, looks or background doesn't make me better than them :colonhash:

I have apparently unintentionally ignored people and in turn have been bullied for it :facepalm:
Original post by batter mix
BUT I surprisingly got anonymous "hate" messages during school and even some pent-up abuse after graduating from girls I didn't even know existed that I was a "stuck-up" "know-it-all" "snobbish" ***** and that my grades, looks or background doesn't make me better than them :colonhash:

Sorry to hear that batter, it sounds like those girls just had their own issues, probably stemming from jealousy
I've never bullied someone just teased people here and there but I was a bystander and I witnessed a girl getting bullied for 3 whole years, i just chose never to get involved. It was so bad that she left and never returned:frown:
Original post by harrysbar
Sorry to hear that batter, it sounds like those girls just had their own issues, probably stemming from jealousy

That's what I am hoping for because the other side would be that I indeed did hurt quite a few teenage girls and harmed their self-esteem :frown:
And after maturing a bit, I really think that would have been an utterly awful thing to do and I really don't want to have any part in it :sigh:
I am willing to admit my wrongs too, although I got bullied. I certainly wasn't always nice to people around the same age when I ended up with the 'cool kids'. I still regret to this day a few people who got bullied, I partook a bit and I didn't do anything to stop it. I am still ashamed of myself to this day especially when I knew how it felt but I didn't want to get bullied anymore and this was a rather self-centered decision I made to protect myself at the expense of others and it was utterly wrong. I have also made a conscious effort to change and luckily I have friends who respect me for who I actually am now rather than having to pretend to keep them. I never did anything physical but words do hurt and this phase of my life is still by far one of my biggest regrets in life.
(edited 4 years ago)
I know.. :wink::wink:
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
Pretty sure they're just bantering :wink:
I bullied younger kids up until the age of about 7. Why? I guess because I didn't know any better. My parents punished me physically so I don't know if that also had a role to play.

I remember enjoying the power of making little ones cry and then comforting them and getting them to trust me again (because that's what little kids do). Then when I was about 7, an adult explained to me that it was not OK and I stopped. I feel guilty about it to this day. There was one girl in particular who I would like to apologise to.

As for being a bystander, this has only happened once. When I was in year 11, I used to get the bus to school with a group of boys in the year below me. They used to make fun of one of the boys in the group, but he was part of their friendship group. I considered saying something (either them or to a teacher) but decided not to because I don't think he had any other friends and I didn't want to make things worse for him.
I haven't bullied anyone but I've been a bystander for 3 years.I think that's just as bad as being a bully.Yeah I still regret it.
yeah but only on people who deserve it lol. by that i mean to actual bullies who will never understand what theyre doing is wrong until u do it to them.
i only remember being a bystander once where this short fat kid was calling this girl in my year some rude things at a lunch table and knocking her drink over and my seat was right next to them but i didnt butt in. i should have though because she was going through enough as it was but no one ever sticks up for her
No... I had a circle of friends who were anti bullying.
bullying is something that doesn't just stem from one person.. it is because the people around that person aaren;t saying anything about their actions and hence they keep on doing it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending