The Student Room Group

I got cought driving without insurance as a learner driver -Help please

I need some help ASAP

Long story short, I was cought driving without insurance. I was driving accompanied with a family member around my area. Then a police car was behind us and the officer flashed his light and pointed to the left. He was asking us question and found out i was uninsured. The family member accompanying me was the legal owner of the car. As a result of this, i got 6 points on my learner licence(I have not passed my driving test yet) and have to pay a £300 fine. We managed to get the car back from the police but i am still worried about the 6 points on my licence.

I knew well before driving off, that i should be insured but i was stupid to take the risk.

I am wondering if i can still take my driving practice test. I am still a learner driver.

Also, to get insurance, do i have to notify the insurance companies i have 6 points on my learner licence?

I am terrifies, i need help ASAP and some constructive advice.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Anyone?
Ouch
(edited 4 years ago)
https://www.gov.uk/penalty-points-endorsements/new-drivers

''Any penalty points on your provisional licence that haven’t expired will be carried over to your full licence when you pass your test. However, your licence will be cancelled if you get any further penalty points that take you up to a total of 6 or more within 2 years of passing your driving test.''

So yes, you can do your driving test still. After you pass, those points will be put from your provisional to your actual license. They will stay there for 4 years, though generally only active for 3. Then, they will be erased. Since you have 6 points already, make sure that you don't acquire any more on your full license for the time stated. Otherwise, your license will cancelled.

The time starts from the day of the offence. So say this happened today on 11/07/2019.
And you passed your driving test say 22/07/2019.
Those points will be active on your full license till 11/07/2022
And they will be erased on 11/07/2023

But if you got more between 22/07/2019 - 22/07/2021, then your driving license will be cancelled. You are allowed up to 12 active points for your license to be cancelled after that.

Also yes, you do need to inform your insurance company. Not doing so may invalidate your insurance policy.

Hope this helps
:smile:
Original post by Blackstarr
I need some help ASAP

Long story short, I was cought driving without insurance. I was driving accompanied with a family member around my area. Then a police car was behind us and the officer flashed his light and pointed to the left. He was asking us question and found out i was uninsured. The family member accompanying me was the legal owner of the car. As a result of this, i got 6 points on my learner licence(I have not passed my driving test yet) and have to pay a £300 fine. We managed to get the car back from the police but i am still worried about the 6 points on my licence.

I knew well before driving off, that i should be insured but i was stupid to take the risk.

I am wondering if i can still take my driving practice test. I am still a learner driver.

Also, to get insurance, do i have to notify the insurance companies i have 6 points on my learner licence?

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by Blackstarr
I need some help ASAP

Did your family member get points too, or are you being charged with TWOC?
I think you should not be allowed to drive for a long period of time. It is not my decision though.
Original post by barnetlad
I think you should not be allowed to drive for a long period of time. It is not my decision though.

I think there should be some leniency for first time offenders. Everyone makes mistakes.

Edit: just to clarify, I mean that any more than the current consequences would be too much for a first time offender in my opinion. I don’t mean that first time offenders should be completely let off with no consequences.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by stimtothesky
I think there should be some leniency for first time offenders. Everyone makes mistakes.

Doing a little over the limit, forgetting to indicate, that is a mistake. Not having insurance is deliberate.
Driving a machine which could kill someone with out appropriate insurance isn't a mistake...
Original post by barnetlad
Doing a little over the limit, forgetting to indicate, that is a mistake. Not having insurance is deliberate.

Original post by doodle_333
Driving a machine which could kill someone with out appropriate insurance isn't a mistake...

Don’t get me wrong, I think there should be consequences- the ones there are currently seem pretty good to me. I just don’t think not being allowed to drive 'for a very long time' would be very fair.

No one sets out with the intention of causing harm/inconvenience to others. Sometimes people don’t think through the potential effect on others- I.e. the financial harm to another person if they crashed without insurance. That’s why the consequences are there- but they should still be proportionate. Someone who drives without insurance should have less of a penalty than someone heavily speeding for example- driving without insurance is not going to kill anyone.

Just playing devils advocate.
The family member owned the car so no TWOC, but he/she could have been done for permitting the offence.
Original post by IWMTom
Did your family member get points too, or are you being charged with TWOC?
Reply 11
Original post by TheHof
The family member owned the car so no TWOC, but he/she could have been done for permitting the offence.

Read my post again
Sorry, what am I missing?

Why would the op be charged with TWOC, when the vehicle owner was sitting next to them?

Or am I reading it wrong?
Original post by IWMTom
Read my post again, genius..
Reply 13
Original post by TheHof
Sorry, what am I missing?

Why would the op be charged with TWOC, when the vehicle owner was sitting next to them?

Or am I reading it wrong?

You're absolutely reading it wrong.

There are two possibilities in my post, hence the "OR".

EITHER the family member received points, OR the OP charged with TWOC.
Don’t get me wrong, I think there should be consequences- the ones there are currently seem pretty good to me. I just don’t think not being allowed to drive 'for a very long time' would be very fair.

No one sets out with the intention of causing harm/inconvenience to others. Sometimes people don’t think through the potential effect on others- I.e. the financial harm to another person if they crashed without insurance. That’s why the consequences are there- but they should still be proportionate. Someone who drives without insurance should have less of a penalty than someone heavily speeding for example- driving without insurance is not going to kill anyone.

Just playing devils advocate.

Except the post clearly says he knew he should have had insurance before setting off. Didn’t stop him did it?
And if he had got away with it, would probably have done it again. And if he can break such a big rule as a learner driver what others will he break? Drive a little too fast? Jump a red light?
What happens when, as an inexperienced driver he has a bump? Statistically quite likely. And the other driver has to lose out and pay up for his deliberate flouting of the law.
If it was up to me he wouldn’t be taking a test and getting a full license for a couple of years. Happily the cost of insurance when he does pass will hopefully keep him off the road anyway. Unless he’s happy to continue driving without insurance
I assume you know that TWOC stands for Taking Without the Owners Consent.

As the owner was the family member sitting next to the OP at the time of the insurance offence, there is no way the OP could be charged with TWOC, even if they were driving without insurance.

However, in addition to the OP getting points for no insurance, the family member could have been charged/summons to court for permitting the OP to drive his/her car without insurance. IF this happened, the owner would likely get a fine.
Original post by IWMTom
You're absolutely reading it wrong.

There are two possibilities in my post, hence the "OR".

EITHER the family member received points, OR the OP charged with TWOC.
Oof
I thought if you get 6 points within 2 years of passing it’s an instant ban?

Driving without insurance is a serious offence, just because you’re a new driver or a first time offender doesn’t mean you should be let off or have some sort of leniency. It’s unfortunate you got caught, as a lot of uninsured drivers get away with it for X amount of time. But it’s why car insurance is high and rises for those who pay it, to pay for all the cars that are uninsured and get involved in accidents.

You should have had insurance, and you need to accept the punishment, no matter how “unfair” you find it. It’s unfair insured drivers are charged more to make up the deficit caused by uninsured drivers.
This is ridiculous. You don't deserve to drive again.
Reply 19
Original post by TheHof
I assume you know that TWOC stands for Taking Without the Owners Consent.

As the owner was the family member sitting next to the OP at the time of the insurance offence, there is no way the OP could be charged with TWOC, even if they were driving without insurance.

However, in addition to the OP getting points for no insurance, the family member could have been charged/summons to court for permitting the OP to drive his/her car without insurance. IF this happened, the owner would likely get a fine.

You really aren't capable of reading properly, are you?

Latest

Trending

Trending