The Student Room Group

AQA Alevel Geography NEA

I am currently creating my proposal form for the geography nea, spec AQA, and i am really struggling coming up with another sub-question. My topic is coastal environments and my question is about the effectiveness of groynes at controlling longshore drift. Any help would be amazing and much appreciated x
Reply 1
you could do one where you compare groynes to another type of sea defence
Original post by charlotteg27
I am currently creating my proposal form for the geography nea, spec AQA, and i am really struggling coming up with another sub-question. My topic is coastal environments and my question is about the effectiveness of groynes at controlling longshore drift. Any help would be amazing and much appreciated x
Thankyou so much. I will try and make that into a question
Original post by DrewKid
you could do one where you compare groynes to another type of sea defence
Original post by charlotteg27

I think your main question could be altered to be a bit more comprehensive, I would write it along the lines of 'To what extent has the SMP been effective at reducing erosion at (whatever location)?'. This is because your main question seems to be a sub question in itself, by broadening the main question I think you'll have more freedom to form your own sub questions.

Your existing question could then form a sub question in itself, by investigating the impacts coastal defences have had on disrupting longshore drift. I would then think it would be interesting to form the sub question 'How has coastal protection affected the size of sediments on the coastline?'. You could then investigate sediment size at various locations on the coastline that have/haven't been protected. You could then form the sub question on 'How sustainable has the SMP been as a protective measure?'. This would mean you could interview local people on their thoughts, you could look at secondary data on costings and cost-benefit analysis by local governments and so on. As already mentioned, you could do a comparison with SMP's on other coastlines to determine the efficacy of the SMP on your coastline and suggest changes that could be implemented.

Good luck!
Thankyou. Im not too sure if it is too late to change my whole question as teachers are already marking our proposal forms and we have to resubmit them by next week and re do them to make them acceptable but thanks for replying!
Original post by naem071
I think your main question could be altered to be a bit more comprehensive, I would write it along the lines of 'To what extent has the SMP been effective at reducing erosion at (whatever location)?'. This is because your main question seems to be a sub question in itself, by broadening the main question I think you'll have more freedom to form your own sub questions.

Your existing question could then form a sub question in itself, by investigating the impacts coastal defences have had on disrupting longshore drift. I would then think it would be interesting to form the sub question 'How has coastal protection affected the size of sediments on the coastline?'. You could then investigate sediment size at various locations on the coastline that have/haven't been protected. You could then form the sub question on 'How sustainable has the SMP been as a protective measure?'. This would mean you could interview local people on their thoughts, you could look at secondary data on costings and cost-benefit analysis by local governments and so on. As already mentioned, you could do a comparison with SMP's on other coastlines to determine the efficacy of the SMP on your coastline and suggest changes that could be implemented.

Good luck!
Original post by anonymous20009
Thankyou. Im not too sure if it is too late to change my whole question as teachers are already marking our proposal forms and we have to resubmit them by next week and re do them to make them acceptable but thanks for replying!

If you find yourself struggling to work with your title for whatever reason, don't feel as though you can't change it. Proposal forms can be redone very easily and aren't submitted till May of next year, so this gives you some time to decide for yourself if you can effectively work with the chosen title.
Yeah thats very true. Our teachers told us that we had to have it approved by them before summer so we can go out during summer and collect our data. Thanks so much for the advice I will figure out something.
Original post by naem071
If you find yourself struggling to work with your title for whatever reason, don't feel as though you can't change it. Proposal forms can be redone very easily and aren't submitted till May of next year, so this gives you some time to decide for yourself if you can effectively work with the chosen title.
Reply 7
You could compare groynes to another type of sea defence strategy. Or you could compare groynes / sea management strategies in two different places (the strategies, how effective they are, how long they’ve been in place, peoples opinions etc.) If you were to create a bigger main question then your current one could be a sub-question and it would become easier to come up with more sub-questions. A good website for geography fieldwork help is: https://www.geography-fieldwork.org/a-level/coasts/coastal-management/method/ Hope this helps!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending