The Student Room Group

Walking home alone in the dark

In order to get home from work on one occasion coming up, I'm going to need to walk home alone in the dark. There is no public transport, I can't drive and there is no hope of getting a lift or anyone to walk with me. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for a brief 5 minute section where I will have to walk down a secluded, unlit pathway out of view. There are no other routes. Does anyone have any advice for how I can stay safe doing this?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
If it's a one time thing, just Uber it.
Reply 2
Original post by Xarao
If it's a one time thing, just Uber it.

Unfortunately that isn't an option for me as I am under 18
Take a taxi if it is one time.
Your safety is worth more than what could happen
Original post by Anonymous
In order to get home from work on one occasion coming up, I'm going to need to walk home alone in the dark. There is no public transport, I can't drive and there is no hope of getting a lift or anyone to walk with me. This wouldn't be a problem if it wasn't for a brief 5 minute section where I will have to walk down a secluded, unlit pathway out of view. There are no other routes. Does anyone have any advice for how I can stay safe doing this?

it's the unlit section a footpath?
run for it i think and keep someone on the phone while u do it lol idek
Reply 6
Unfortunately that isn't an option for me as I am under 18

Oh I wasn't aware that you had to provide your birth certificate to Uber. Oh wait.

Anyways it's your choice, walk alone in the dark or use Uber/taxi.
Reply 7
Original post by claireestelle
it's the unlit section a footpath?

Yes, it's just very dark and secluded
i think that person mean that they cant pay for it via their phone or soemthing which means they cant uber it
Original post by Xarao
Oh I wasn't aware that you had to provide your birth certificate to Uber. Oh wait.

Anyways it's your choice, walk alone in the dark or use Uber/taxi.
Make sure your phone is fully charged, and be on the phone to someone even if you're not talking- then the person you're on the phone to will know if something happens.
Yes, it's just very dark and secluded

bright clothing, don't listen to music too loud so you're always aware of your surrounding and take a torch incase your phone dies.
lol just walk in a high-vis jacket so they think ur a builder lmao
bright clothing, don't listen to music too loud so you're always aware of your surrounding and take a torch incase your phone dies.
Reply 12
i think that person mean that they cant pay for it via their phone or soemthing which means they cant uber it

All you need is a bank account to start using Uber.
Original post by p_helena
Make sure your phone is fully charged, and be on the phone to someone even if you're not talking- then the person you're on the phone to will know if something happens.

Worst advice you can give. Time to walk in the dark with my shiny new phone, I'm definitely not getting mugged tonight.
Original post by vix.xvi
lol just walk in a high-vis jacket so they think ur a builder lmao

not the worst idea.
use black bluetooth headphones
Original post by Xarao

Worst advice you can give. Time to walk in the dark with my shiny new phone, I'm definitely not getting mugged tonight.
Original post by Xarao

Uber isn't widely used in some cities still, we've ubereats here but still no actual uber.
Reply 16
Uber isn't widely used in some cities still, we've ubereats here but still no actual uber.

I don't necessarily mean Uber itself, but rather any taxi company as that would be the most safest approach for OP.
Original post by Xarao
I don't necessarily mean Uber itself, but rather any taxi company as that would be the most safest approach for OP.

i'm presuming OP can't afford or arrange that for some reason, i had my phone stolen in broad daylight once so i generally don't feel like night is much worse.
OP here
Thank you to everyone who's answered, I've had some good advice. I may have miscommunicated in my post; although I only know of one concrete date I'll have to make this journey, it's a new job with unreliable hours, so unfortunately I may have to make the journey regularly.
Most days I'll be able to get a train but on sundays they don't run, hence the problem. I've decided to buy myself a hi-vis jacket and whistle, which should make me a little safer.
Reply 19
OP here
Thank you to everyone who's answered, I've had some good advice. I may have miscommunicated in my post; although I only know of one concrete date I'll have to make this journey, it's a new job with unreliable hours, so unfortunately I may have to make the journey regularly.
Most days I'll be able to get a train but on sundays they don't run, hence the problem. I've decided to buy myself a hi-vis jacket and whistle, which should make me a little safer.

Wouldn't a hi-vis jacket make you more of a target in a secluded area? Fair enough if it was far more open to the public, but a closed one?

Latest

Trending

Trending