The Student Room Group

My university has massively rounded up people's final grades...

Scroll to see replies

Original post by whydoidothis?
In the real world no one cares if you got anything more than a 2:1.
Sure some people care about getting a first, but personally academics is just a means to an end to me, a small part of my life.

I'm literally on an engineering placement right now and my manager himself has said seeing a First Class on someone'ss CV makes hiring staff look more closely lol. It's proof of good time management and coping with heavy workloads.

It doesn't matter much after your first job. But for grad jobs/internships it absolutely does. Many people can't even get their dream jobs without securing a relevant placement first. That grad job is your entrance to the "real world". In some degrees it's near impossible to find a job without relevant experience. Getting a placement helps.

Also despite a 2:1 being the minimum, securing PHD funding is 10x easier with a first class. Again that can lead you to the job you want in the future.

If there's anything that barely matters, it's university rankings.
(edited 4 years ago)
I got a 2.2 first year
2:1 second year
and i'm doing a internship at a top investment bank, one of the most competitive hiring processes period.

Getting a 2:1 or a first is really meaningless when compared to other things on a CV.
I have many more friends with a internship/grad scheme job offer who got a 2:1 or 2:2.

A first helps, but not enough for it to matter when compared to other much more important things on a CV.

But your other point, for PhD stuff yeah getting a first helps loads. But jobs that require a PhD are such an anomaly that the point can just be discounted. Probs like one in 1000 jobs require one if that.
Original post by lucabrasi98
I'm literally on an engineering placement right now and my manager himself has said seeing a First Class on someone'ss CV makes hiring staff look more closely lol. It's proof of good time management and coping with heavy workloads.

It doesn't matter much after your first job. But for grad jobs/internships it absolutely does. Many people can't even get their dream jobs without securing a relevant placement first. That grad job is your entrance to the "real world". In some degrees it's near impossible to find a job without relevant experience. Getting a placement helps.

Also despite a 2:1 being the minimum, securing PHD funding is 10x easier with a first class. Again that can lead you to the job you want in the future.

If there's anything that barely matters, it's university rankings.
Some people are really on this thread having a go at the original poster for feeling disheartened.. yikes.

1st class degree holders have every right to feel cheated by universities that round up grades. Grade inflation is a dishonest act that merely boosts the ranking of a university. They're using 2:1 students as pawns for their own financial benefit frankly.

It was wrong to look at someone else's grades without their permission, but the frustration associated with it is perfectly valid.
Original post by Anonymous
What worries you so much about other people getting a first. Worry about yourself not them. Being competitive is one thing but actually wanted your friends to get a worse grade than you to make you feel better is rather sad.

I don't think this is about friendly competitiveness, it's about students being awarded grades they did not achieve. It's misleading to admissions offices, hiring departments etc.

Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox
Why would you even bother sitting and calculating someone else's marks, to prove they should have been awarded a worse grade? Just focus on your own grade, it's great, well done you. But to try and devalue somebody else's achievements isn't cool IMO.

This is not about devaluing someone else's achievements. The poster achieved a 1st and their friend achieved a 2:1 in theory, but the grade was inflated. You can't devalue an imaginary grade.

68 is basically a first in my eyes, don't really see why you seem so entitled as you got like 4 % more.

If we don't have boundaries and cut off points then where does it stop? Students could start getting special treatment, which would open another can of worms. There needs to be strict regulation to make the university grading system fair for all.
Original post by stabilo20619
If we don't have boundaries and cut off points then where does it stop? Students could start getting special treatment, which would open another can of worms. There needs to be strict regulation to make the university grading system fair for all.

This is perfect.

Unfortunately the incentives aren't their for Unis not to do this, and as almost every uni does this, i cant see very many departments deciding to be the moral break point. Maybe a GPA system is what needs to be implemented, or QAA needs to step in & place more stringent regulations on grading.
This is not about devaluing someone else's achievements. The poster achieved a 1st and their friend achieved a 2:1 in theory, but the grade was inflated. You can't devalue an imaginary grade.

It kind of is, though, because they were awarded a first, and OP would prefer for them to have been given a 2:1. Obviously whatever criteria they have has been met. If OP doesn't like it, speak to the uni for consideration in future years, but there's no point resenting other people's grades now. I can only imagine how happy I would have been with a first, whether rounded or not, so I would have been very upset if a "friend" started campaigning against it.
'Grade inflation' means 80% more top degree grades

The proportion of students in England awarded first-class degrees continues to increase - rising by 80% since 2010-11, the university watchdog says.

The watchdog showed the changes in students awarded first-class degrees between 2010-11 and 2017-18, including:

Imperial College London from 31% to 46%
University of Huddersfield: 15% to 40%
University College London: 24% to 40%
Durham University: 18% to 38%
University of East Anglia: 14% to 39%
University of Northumbria: 16% to 35%
University of West London: 13% to 34%
Staffordshire University: 14% to 34%

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-48951653

Interesting how it's not just affecting the "lower ranked" unis. The unis near the top of the league tables are also awarding more 1st degrees.

They did have a cut-off point - 68. Anyone above that earnt a first. Making the cut-off point the same at every uni doesn't make it fair since they're all using different tests.
Original post by Student-95
They did have a cut-off point - 68. Anyone above that earnt a first. Making the cut-off point the same at every uni doesn't make it fair since they're all using different tests.

But what happens if two students from different universities both put a 1st on their CV? How is an employer going to know that University #1 gives a 1st for 68% but University #2 doesn’t? Whether it’s 2% or 20%.. there’s disparity there and that’s confusing.
But what happens if two students from different universities both put a 1st on their CV? How is an employer going to know that University #1 gives a 1st for 68% but University #2 doesn’t? Whether it’s 2% or 20%.. there’s disparity there and that’s confusing.

Universities set their own marking boundaries too. A university that awards a first at 68% is likely to be less likely to award marks substantially above 70%.

If an employer thinks that 2% makes a difference then they’ll ask for a transcript.

How does the employer know if one uni has easier exams? Or uses a more forgiving weighting?
I think I'm weird and it doesn't make much sense why I think like this but on results day if I got 69.99% I would want the university to downgrade me to 2,1. A first class with a percentage below 70 doesn't have the same ring for me personally. :tongue:
Original post by MidgetFever
Couldn't agree with this more, it really takes away from those that worked really hard for their 1:1/2:1.
I got a 2.2 first year
2:1 second year
and i'm doing a internship at a top investment bank, one of the most competitive hiring processes period.

Getting a 2:1 or a first is really meaningless when compared to other things on a CV.
I have many more friends with a internship/grad scheme job offer who got a 2:1 or 2:2.

A first helps, but not enough for it to matter when compared to other much more important things on a CV.

But your other point, for PhD stuff yeah getting a first helps loads. But jobs that require a PhD are such an anomaly that the point can just be discounted. Probs like one in 1000 jobs require one if that.

No one has said you can't get jobs with a 2:1. It's just objectively easier with a first class. Hence why it matters. Recruiters look at your CV for roughly 6 seconds (http://business.time.com/2012/04/13/how-to-make-your-resume-last-longer-than-6-seconds/ ). After this they'll make piles and toss the ones they don't want to read further. Your university and degree classification will be the first thing on your CV that impacts them. My manager literally telling me how he's always reading the rest of the cv with good expectations agree seeing their First Class banks that up.

Even if experience matters more, it shouldn't be a shock that your degree classification can close doorways without you knowing. For all we know, you'd have had even more options to choose from with a higher grade. Same with your 2:2 friends.

Also there's no use discounting anything. Plenty of people do want to go into research. If you discount important information then you're misinforming them. Some student wanting to do a PhD might've read your post and thought only getting a 2:1 wouldn't limit him/her.

Also for some reason there's a myth on here that getting a 1st means you're less likely to have experience. Not only is that untrue but it doesn't even make sense for this discussion. We're talking about GETTING that experience in the first place. Before this placement I had literally no experience whatsoever. Same with many others at uni. Hiring managers literally just have your grade, university and projects you've done to read and decide if they wanna interview you.
(edited 4 years ago)
Hey,

I can see why you might find it unfair, but you probably also don't know hard they worked behind the scenes, even if they seemed outwardly lazy. Sometimes, hard work isn't the only way either. Work smart, not hard.

Sorry to hear about your frustrations nonetheless, but, you made a first! That's great in itself.

As mostly answered by others in the thread, there are plenty of ordeals with rounding up grades and things of that nature. It just seems to be the done thing these days.

Joshua :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending