The Student Room Group

University choices ?

Go to a better uni and go into
Foundation year first or go into a worst uni and start from year 1

Does uni ranks matter like if you get the degree does it really matter ? Need help

Scroll to see replies

I assume it depends on the course, and how different the 'bad' and 'good' universities are to each other.
Reply 2
Well 1 is 38 ranked uni in the uk and 300 in the world the other is ranked 90-100 in the uk and 800-1000 in the world
Original post by anonymous1231231
I assume it depends on the course, and how different the 'bad' and 'good' universities are to each other.
Reply 3
Go into a better uni and do a year in foundation year ranking of 38th in the uk
Or get straight into year 1 with a different uni which is ranked around 80-90th in the uk

Either Swansea uni to study history
Or university of South Wales history
Original post by Hus3110
Go into a better uni and do a year in foundation year ranking of 38th in the uk
Or get straight into year 1 with a different uni which is ranked around 80-90th in the uk

Either Swansea uni to study history
Or university of South Wales history

Or get better A levels and get into a better uni. Cheaper and better long term.
Reply 5
I don’t really mind the money cause study finance and stuff I really don’t want to be doing my alevels again so what’s the best option foundation year at a better uni ?
Original post by 999tigger
Or get better A levels and get into a better uni. Cheaper and better long term.
Probably foundation year at Swansea
Original post by Hus3110
I don’t really mind the money cause study finance and stuff I really don’t want to be doing my alevels again so what’s the best option foundation year at a better uni ?
Reply 7
Yeh it’s a way better uni and I haven’t got my grades yet so with luck I will get accept straight into Swansea without foundation year and doesn’t anyone know if history degree courses are lenient with grades so if u don’t get the 120 ucas points needed can u still get in ?
Original post by Examsareoversoon
Probably foundation year at Swansea
Original post by Hus3110

Yes, but a poor choice imo.

What were your a levels ? Subjects and grades?
Are you self financing or using sfe?
Most universities for lots of courses are lenient with grades, so if you slightly miss your offer you will probably be allowed in.
Original post by Hus3110
Yeh it’s a way better uni and I haven’t got my grades yet so with luck I will get accept straight into Swansea without foundation year and doesn’t anyone know if history degree courses are lenient with grades so if u don’t get the 120 ucas points needed can u still get in ?
I just wanted to say that not everyone is going to achieve the highest grades, no matter how hard they work or if they resit. As long as somebody has worked hard and achieved their potential, there is no shame in achieving whatever results that person gets, whether that be AAA or DDD. If the OP wants to go to Swansea and study history, what is wrong with that?

Reply 11
Subjects history business welsh bacc and year 12 English lit
GCSEs 9 including sciences, English lit and Lang geography re maths
Also a history degree isn’t a bad degree no degree is it’s what u enjoy

Original post by Hus3110
Subjects history business welsh bacc and year 12 English lit
GCSEs 9 including sciences, English lit and Lang geography re maths
Also a history degree isn’t a bad degree no degree is it’s what u enjoy

If you doiont have your A level results, then am not seeing why or how you are making the decisions.
Reply 13
Cause my insurance choice uni gave me an unconditional offer which is the same grades required for the foundation year at Swansea this is why
If you doiont have your A level results, then am not seeing why or how you are making the decisions.
And you could always release yourself into clearing and apply for the foundation year at Swansea, if it's available and you miss your firm offer.
Original post by Hus3110
Cause my insurance choice uni gave me an unconditional offer which is the same grades required for the foundation year at Swansea this is why
Reply 15
I emailed them and Jamie from Swansea said if I do miss my enter to year one I should get a offer for foundation year automatically
Original post by Examsareoversoon
And you could always release yourself into clearing and apply for the foundation year at Swansea, if it's available and you miss your firm offer.
That's good, I hope it all works out for you.
Original post by Hus3110
I emailed them and Jamie from Swansea said if I do miss my enter to year one I should get a offer for foundation year automatically
Original post by Hus3110

Why not mention that in the OP?
What is your first choice?
How do you think you have done?
Are you using student finance?
Reply 18
First choice is Swansea uni which needs 120 ucas points which is a bcc if I’m not wrong and I think I will get a c/b history my business btec merit and welsh bacc a pass or merit
Why not mention that in the OP?
What is your first choice?
How do you think you have done?
Are you using student finance?
Original post by Hus3110
First choice is Swansea uni which needs 120 ucas points which is a bcc if I’m not wrong and I think I will get a c/b history my business btec merit and welsh bacc a pass or merit

If you like the uni and course and its about your level plus you cba to resit then take the foundation course and ask them to put you on the normal one if you make the grade.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending