The Student Room Group

Ucas reference

Hi guys,
Hope you can help. I recently done my year1 in (Business magnament in a college as partnership with uclan).
I now decided, the course, its for me as I wanted to do busniess magnament with accounting and finance in edge hill, my issues is I a struggling currently getting a reference of my past tutor.

I just want to get on with things now, and they are delaying my process.
I rang admissions, they, stated they needed one I told them surely you have a plan b if things lke this happpens.
Any suggestions be helpful.
Because I really want to do this course.
I am a mature student btw too.
Reply 1
I guess the easiest thing to do is get the reference. Perhaps turn up at your tutor's house/work and just don't leave until you get the reference. Otherwise it might be worth actually going to edge hill for a meeting with the head of the admissions team. They may be able to do something that way?

Best of luck getting in to the course! I really hope you're successful 😁
Original post by 1rish1ad
Hi guys,
Hope you can help. I recently done my year1 in (Business magnament in a college as partnership with uclan).
I now decided, the course, its for me as I wanted to do busniess magnament with accounting and finance in edge hill, my issues is I a struggling currently getting a reference of my past tutor.

I just want to get on with things now, and they are delaying my process.
I rang admissions, they, stated they needed one I told them surely you have a plan b if things lke this happpens.
Any suggestions be helpful.
Because I really want to do this course.
I am a mature student btw too.

The plan B is that you take a gap year and arrange your reference using that extra time. Academic staff are often difficult to contact during the summer - you can’t expect them to cancel their holiday because you’ve decided to apply for a degree at the last minute.

Have you tried contacting the admin office or another academic?
Reply 3
I have asked someone else, they said they would do it be ideally, coming, form them would be better what they said.
No I am not having a gap year again I waited to long just to have a gap year, university should be abit more flexible.
The only thing is I do know the professor in business there, I mighg explain and see what they say.
I have asked someone else, they said they would do it be ideally, coming, form them would be better what they said.
No I am not having a gap year again I waited to long just to have a gap year, university should be abit more flexible.
The only thing is I do know the professor in business there, I mighg explain and see what they say.

Universities don’t have to be flexible because you didn’t plan ahead properly. Your failure to prepare isn’t their problem.
Reply 5
I didn't know I was going to do a transfer until now.
So for you to say that is considerably unjustified.
The college tutor where well aware I maybe be transferring as its states it in the end of the year report.
I also personally circumstances, for considering the move, as, I cannot receive my dsa, as I am a classified as a EU student.
So, its, not just a 18 year old walking out of secondary school, going into university.
I have been 7 weeks negotiating with my work to fixed my hrs for university now this!!.
I appreciate it's annoying but none of that is the Uni's problem. You've presumably known for at least 7wks that this might be required.

They're entering their busiest period of the year dealing with current offer holders, so their capacity to consider atypical requests will be at it's minimum.

Your options at this point are a) chase up your first referee, b) pursue a second suitable one, c) tell the Uni you can't provide one by whatever deadline they've given you and accept that they might reject you without it.

I know it feels tickboxey but from their POV you could just as easily be hiding concerning behaviour.
Reply 7
Correct me if I am wrong, I work for the bank which therefore should rule out behavioural issues as I gotta go throught clearance to be appointed by them.
I have spoken to the director of business there and they stated that, that would be ok.
But, admissions have stated no its not which to me annoying even more. The director has stated its ok but her word doesnt matter I even have a email to proof it.
I finding it insulting to be honest. If I was 18 years old, it be fine I am 27 years old .
The university has procedures to follow to ensure admissions are fair and properly checked. An academic staff can’t bypass those requirements. Exceptions have to be approved by whichever mechanism is spelled out in the university admissions policy (often a committee or board that looks at each case).
Reply 9
The admissions policy, which, I have looked at states clearly theres flexibility when required.
I think, what needs to happoen is meeting explain my case.
I am a suffer of dyslexia too and I need my extra things in place comes September.
Which is now most likely inpossible.
I am going to make a offical complaint against the college because these delay tacticas is extremely unethical.
All they want is numbers and I clearly stated before if I cannot receive extra I am leaving.
I'd like to live on campus too so I am hoping they would come back to me before the cut off point of 30th of july.
Anyways, its about the how when it comes to these issues.
A policy is a guideline not law.
There is usually flexibility in cases where there is genuinely no way for the applicant to obtain a reference. E.g. A returner study where staff have moved on or are uncontactable. It’s not there to make allowances for people that are disorganised.

As above, you have recent study, so to answer your question, yes you are incorrect because the Uni requires an academic reference, not a professional one.

I’m actually concerned about your reaction to this reasonable and predictable request, so I’m going to un-watch this thread now. Best of luck with your application and I hope you attend your Uni of choice.
Reply 11
Yes, but I spoose I need to chill out abit and let things hapoen. Just my anxiety makes things x20 worse than it is.
Thanks again.
Original post by Chocatoo
I guess the easiest thing to do is get the reference. Perhaps turn up at your tutor's house/work and just don't leave until you get the reference. Otherwise it might be worth actually going to edge hill for a meeting with the head of the admissions team. They may be able to do something that way?

Best of luck getting in to the course! I really hope you're successful 😁

Turning up at someone's house or work and refusing to leave is a good way to get the police called and is very unlikely to make the person write a reference in future!

The admissions policy, which, I have looked at states clearly theres flexibility when required.
I think, what needs to happoen is meeting explain my case.
I am a suffer of dyslexia too and I need my extra things in place comes September.
Which is now most likely inpossible.
I am going to make a offical complaint against the college because these delay tacticas is extremely unethical.
All they want is numbers and I clearly stated before if I cannot receive extra I am leaving.
I'd like to live on campus too so I am hoping they would come back to me before the cut off point of 30th of july.
Anyways, its about the how when it comes to these issues.
A policy is a guideline not law.

The thing is, unis are allowed to set their own rules about admissions- and requiring a referee is a really standard one! The uni is absolutely entitled to say that you need a reference, or they won't consider your application. In this situation, they hold all the cards.

Writing a reference is time consuming. How much notice did you give your tutor? Could you call or email them and ask how long it is likely to take them? And if they say they aren't able to provide a reference, is there anyone else you could ask?

You are applying very late- if you knew that you would need time to sort out disability support, then it would have been better to apply as soon as possible.
Reply 13
I am on the ASD line which is why I can come across as abit rude my apologise.
Well, I really didnt know what I was doing couple months ago waiting on my results you see.
I just hope things work out.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending