The Student Room Group

How are my grade calculated

How will my final grade be determined at the end of year 1 will it be decided by semester 1 or 2's work or will it be all both semesters briefs added up to give me my final grade. this is for Sheffield Hallam
Reply 1
if you're doing English you'll be given a 0 judging by the title.

I'm sorry that was rude, i wish i knew and i could help but I'm still doing my a-levels, however they're judged I'm sure you did great best of luck
You need to look at your course handbook and university regulations How grades are calculated varies from university to university and course to course.

I assume both semesters will be taken into consideration (why would they not?)

You need to find out if all modules are equally weighted- if they are then you just add up all your marks and then divide by the number of modules.

Sometimes however some modules carry more credits, for example might be double weighted

Original post by jj20199
How will my final grade be determined at the end of year 1 will it be decided by semester 1 or 2's work or will it be all both semesters briefs added up to give me my final grade. this is for Sheffield Hallam
Ask your university department/tutor. Otherwise it should be stated in the Course Handbook/SHU Assessment Regulations.
Original post by jj20199
Hi @jj20199

Which course are you doing?

I can find this out for you.

Thanks
Bridget
Original post by jj20199
Reply 5
i'm doing games design but i'm curious is it just semester 2's work that gives me my final grade or is it both semesters assignments
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @jj20199

Which course are you doing?

I can find this out for you.

Thanks
Bridget
Hi @jj20199

Ok thanks - just to be clear, is it the MA or BA you are doing?

Thanks
Bridget
Original post by jj20199
i'm doing games design but i'm curious is it just semester 2's work that gives me my final grade or is it both semesters assignments
(edited 4 years ago)
Hi @jj20199

Just in case you didn't see the last message - are you doing the MA or BA in games design? Once I know this I can find out about your final grade calculations.

Thanks,
Bridget
Original post by jj20199
Reply 8
sorry bridget im doing a BA in games design
Original post by Sheffield Hallam University
Hi @jj20199

Just in case you didn't see the last message - are you doing the MA or BA in games design? Once I know this I can find out about your final grade calculations.

Thanks,
Bridget
Hi @jj20199

The course leader came back to me - sorry for the delay!

The grades from year 1 are not used with the degree classification, but if anyone wants to calculate this themselves they can log into ‘my student records’ (the link is in the top right corner of the My Hallam page) and average out the grades so far they can do so to see how they are doing academically, however the grades for the first year are to help gain the credits needed for the degree, show how grading is done and show how well students are currently doing academically, the degree classification uses the results from the best grades of year 2/3 for the degree calculations that are averaged to give a result, the university does this automatically ensuring the best possible outcome.

Student services might be able to give more in-depth details on the exact calculations

There is also a link to how the degrees are calculated below.

https://students.shu.ac.uk/shuspacecontent/assessment/degree-calculated

Let me know if you have any further questions!
Bridget

Original post by jj20199
sorry bridget im doing a BA in games design

Quick Reply

Latest