The Student Room Group

Birkbeck or Westminster?

What is better for postgraduate research in politics, Birkbeck or Westminster? For my specific research interests, Birkbeck is more fitting, but I'm asking specifically about quality of overall produced research, ranking, reputation and department-wide events.

Thank you!
Overall quality, reputation etc makes no difference to your postgrad research experience. Go where the research fits better with your research interests. Is this for an MRes/MPhil or PhD?
Original post by couscous-comrade
What is better for postgraduate research in politics, Birkbeck or Westminster? For my specific research interests, Birkbeck is more fitting, but I'm asking specifically about quality of overall produced research, ranking, reputation and department-wide events.

Thank you!
Original post by alleycat393
Overall quality, reputation etc makes no difference to your postgrad research experience. Go where the research fits better with your research interests. Is this for an MRes/MPhil or PhD?

Hiya! Thanks so much for helping. It's for MPhil/PhD, the problem I have is that Westminster is offering me a hell of a lot more funding and less adequate supervision, and Birkbeck is also offering decent (but less) funding but the supervision and fit with the department are much better.

I've just decided today to go for the option of supervision - I'm not short of a huge amount of money so it's doable, but with better supervision, I can see the project turn into something significant whilst I'd take full advantage of the PhD experience.

Because I am an international student I wasn't sure what counted (although I did my MA in the UK). I feel like there are so many unspoken rules...
Original post by couscous-comrade
Hiya! Thanks so much for helping. It's for MPhil/PhD, the problem I have is that Westminster is offering me a hell of a lot more funding and less adequate supervision, and Birkbeck is also offering decent (but less) funding but the supervision and fit with the department are much better.

I've just decided today to go for the option of supervision - I'm not short of a huge amount of money so it's doable, but with better supervision, I can see the project turn into something significant whilst I'd take full advantage of the PhD experience.

Because I am an international student I wasn't sure what counted (although I did my MA in the UK). I feel like there are so many unspoken rules...

Good choice! Always supervision and fit over anything else. Good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending