The Student Room Group

Two BTEC students achieved a 2.1 from UCL x UoN

Many people have a specific perception and stereotypes of certain people who pursue BTEC courses at college. I want this post to thrive, and give people the confidence to choose BTEC courses, because we are living proof of achieving great grades from top uni's...

Post GCSES, I went into AS level, usually a standard route for most people.. Unfortunately, AS levels were tough, and I opted for a BTEC Level 3 in Business and achieved 3 D* which is equivalent to 3 A*'s.

The BTEC provided me a great understanding of business acumen, and the fundamentals of core management, in order to me pursue my degree at UCL, which is a joint course in Computer Science and Management. In my first year at UCL, I admit, it was very tough and I would have liked the BTEC to have equipped me better in terms of the exam side, however; recently BTEC courses have provided courses with 50% - 50% exam and coursework, thus; providing students more experience on how to handle the aspect of coursework and exams at university.

To conclude, I achieved a solid 2.1 at a world class university, all from a BTEC prior to flopping AS levels, it ain't all that bad is it? So yeah; feel free to shoot a comment in the thread and let's discuss the great opportunities BTEC can offer students.

Scroll to see replies

Looks like you missed the grade inflation thread

Are you sure you didnt talk your way into a 2:1 mate
Original post by JohnnyKip21
Many people have a specific perception and stereotypes of certain people who pursue BTEC courses at college. I want this post to thrive, and give people the confidence to choose BTEC courses, because we are living proof of achieving great grades from top uni's...

Post GCSES, I went into AS level, usually a standard route for most people.. Unfortunately, AS levels were tough, and I opted for a BTEC Level 3 in Business and achieved 3 D* which is equivalent to 3 A*'s.

The BTEC provided me a great understanding of business acumen, and the fundamentals of core management, in order to me pursue my degree at UCL, which is a joint course in Computer Science and Management. In my first year at UCL, I admit, it was very tough and I would have liked the BTEC to have equipped me better in terms of the exam side, however; recently BTEC courses have provided courses with 50% - 50% exam and coursework, thus; providing students more experience on how to handle the aspect of coursework and exams at university.

To conclude, I achieved a solid 2.1 at a world class university, all from a BTEC prior to flopping AS levels, it ain't all that bad is it? So yeah; feel free to shoot a comment in the thread and let's discuss the great opportunities BTEC can offer students.

I go to one of these and average 90 with A*A*A*A*. If your btec was really equivalent why haven't you got at least 80?

I don't mean to be nasty I just cannot stand it when people claim it's equivalent to 3A*, it's not and everyone knows it.

On the other hand they're not a complete waste of time either, there is just no reason to do one if you want to go to university and can cope with a levels.
(edited 4 years ago)

How many people take BTEC and end up going to top unis?
Do you really think D*D*D* is equivalent to A*A*A*?
If that were so then why do so many top unis not accept BTEC as a whole for courses like Medicine or even as a whole for uni entrance?
Nottingham is inferior university compared to ucl

So maybe your degree was easier, explaining why you got 90
Original post by kjnkjnlknjlmklnm
I go to UoN and average 90 with A*A*A*A*. If your btec was really equivalent why haven't you got at least 80?

I don't mean to be nasty I just cannot stand it when people claim it's equivalent to 3A*, it's not and everyone knows it.

On the other hand they're not a complete waste of time either, there is just no reason to do one if you want to go to university and can cope with a levels.
Reply 5
Original post by searching123job
Looks like you missed the grade inflation thread

Are you sure you didnt talk your way into a 2:1 mate

Bashing other people just because you got a third I see.

Way to boost your self-esteem bud.
Original post by ant56777
bro your a oxbridge reject shut your mouth

Yeah bro I'm not. Didn't apply cause I dropped out of school at 14 due to abusive home and my gcses were godawful.

My best friend here is actually an Oxford acceptee (who turned them down) and is averaging 85.... which is less than me. (just to be clear I am not saying I would have got in if gcses weren't an issue)
Oh diddums

I have been exposed
Original post by Xarao

Reply 8
Nottingham, is still a top target university, and a top RG. His degree was Chemical Engineering, much harder than the standard degrees out there, coming from a BTEC, also posses a massive challenge.. So please, get the facts right, BTEC does bits.

Reply 9
You should have done a BTEC then mate, BTEC offers students whom have no GCSE's, from Level 1-3 courses.. Could have ended at a RG uni then..
Yeah bro I'm not. Didn't apply cause I dropped out of school at 14 due to abusive home and my gcses were godawful.

My best friend here is actually an Oxford acceptee (who turned them down) and is averaging 85.... which is less than me. (just to be clear I am not saying I would have got in if gcses weren't an issue)

Yeah it is, but there is a huge, huge, huge difference between 90 and 70.
You should have done a BTEC then mate, BTEC offers students whom have no GCSE's, from Level 1-3 courses.. Could have ended at a RG uni then..

Nottingham is RG..... 3A* is good enough for literally any subject any university (assuming you pass the other components), D*D*D* isn't.
Reply 12
Not sure why people are saying a BTEC with 3 D* is not equivalent to 3 A*, when it clearly is.

Very bitter, bitter people.
Original post by ant56777
is your degree management or something ?

Physics. I'd guess it's not possible to score this high in anything except maths, engineering, computer science or physics.
D*D*D* is the equivalent to 3A* on paper, in front of the top universities. This has been proven already, hence why top RG uni's accept BTEC's into many of their courses, ranging from Science and Engineering subjects.. and students can achieve great grades. BTEC qualifications are also improving, with the introduction to exams.. therefore it's preparing college students for university, as proven for us.
Nottingham is RG..... 3A* is good enough for literally any subject any university (assuming you pass the other components), D*D*D* isn't.
Original post by Xarao
Not sure why people are saying a BTEC with 3 D* is not equivalent to 3 A*, when it clearly is.

Very bitter, bitter people.

Cause it's clearly not it's just a nice thing to say to make yourself feel better. Same with how people say a first is the same everywhere, it's clearly not and this actually annoys me no end but I'm not delusional enough to deny reality and say a first from Notts is the same as from Oxford even though i wish it was.
(edited 4 years ago)
Nah it ain't, it's a reality because I just achieved a 2.1 from a world 7 university, what you got son?
Are you sure you didnt get a 3rd too bud
Original post by Xarao

Easy now, dont let it get to your head

Remember, you failed your a levels
Nah it ain't, it's a reality because I just achieved a 2.1 from a world 7 university, what you got son?
D*D*D* is the equivalent to 3A* on paper, in front of the top universities. This has been proven already, hence why top RG uni's accept BTEC's into many of their courses, ranging from Science and Engineering subjects.. and students can achieve great grades. BTEC qualifications are also improving, with the introduction to exams.. therefore it's preparing college students for university, as proven for us.

Point still stands. I'm near certain oxbridge don't accept them, doubt the top London ones do either for maths related subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending