The Student Room Group

Are all marvel characters owned by Disney?

I heard Spider-Man and hulk movie rights are not owned by Disney.

X-men franchise is fox but since Disney purchased 20th century fox I presume x-men including deadpool is Disney now.
Reply 1
Spider-Man is owned by Sony but he appears in the MCU films through a property-sharing deal between Sony and Marvel Studios (owned by Disney). Sony finance the MCU Spider-Man movies and take a majority share of the profits while Marvel have creative control and merchandising rights.

Creative rights to Hulk belong to Marvel but distribution rights are with Universal Studios. The contract states that should Marvel make any film with Hulk in the title and/or as the main character, Universal get first right of refusal on distribution. Hence why Hulk has only appeared as an ensemble character in Avengers films and Thor Ragnarok. Until the contract with Universal expires, it’s unlikely we will see a solo Hulk film in the MCU. The relationship between Marvel and Universal went sour after the Incredible Hulk film from 2008 flopped.

X-Men, Deadpool and Fantastic Four were formerly owned by 20th Century Fox. And since the Fox movie division was merged with Disney after their $71 billion dollar acquisition closed earlier this year, all these properties are expected to become part of the MCU in the near future. Don’t expect new films any time soon though - Kevin Feige himself estimates another 5-10 years until we will see the X-Men join forces with the Avengers.
Original post by asif007
Until the contract with Universal expires, it’s unlikely we will see a solo Hulk film in the MCU.

The Incredible Hulk was an MCU film. Everyone just forgets about it because they recast the title character, and because it was terrible.
Reply 3
I actually enjoyed the Incredible Hulk film from 2008. Thought it was a good follow up to Iron Man. What I meant to say is that we shouldn’t expect another solo Hulk film in the MCU, ie. with Mark Ruffalo as the title character. After all the behind the scenes drama that happened with Edward Norton, it’s no surprise that Universal are digging their heels in and preventing another Hulk film from happening.
Original post by asif007
I actually enjoyed the Incredible Hulk film from 2008. Thought it was a good follow up to Iron Man. What I meant to say is that we shouldn’t expect another solo Hulk film in the MCU, ie. with Mark Ruffalo as the title character. After all the behind the scenes drama that happened with Edward Norton, it’s no surprise that Universal are digging their heels in and preventing another Hulk film from happening.

Fair enough :yy:

I really disliked it when I marathoned the MCU in the lead up to endgame, it's the only film in the franchise that I think can truly be called a bad film. Compared to Iron Man from the same year, for me it's aged horribly and looks really dated, closer to an early 2000s sci fi than late 2000s. It didn't help that Norton had all the chrisma of a wet mop.
Reply 5
Wow, thanks. I never heard before about this!
Original post by asif007
Spider-Man is owned by Sony but he appears in the MCU films through a property-sharing deal between Sony and Marvel Studios (owned by Disney). Sony finance the MCU Spider-Man movies and take a majority share of the profits while Marvel have creative control and merchandising rights.

Creative rights to Hulk belong to Marvel but distribution rights are with Universal Studios. The contract states that should Marvel make any film with Hulk in the title and/or as the main character, Universal get first right of refusal on distribution. Hence why Hulk has only appeared as an ensemble character in Avengers films and Thor Ragnarok. Until the contract with Universal expires, it’s unlikely we will see a solo Hulk film in the MCU. The relationship between Marvel and Universal went sour after the Incredible Hulk film from 2008 flopped.

X-Men, Deadpool and Fantastic Four were formerly owned by 20th Century Fox. And since the Fox movie division was merged with Disney after their $71 billion dollar acquisition closed earlier this year, all these properties are expected to become part of the MCU in the near future. Don’t expect new films any time soon though - Kevin Feige himself estimates another 5-10 years until we will see the X-Men join forces with the Avengers.
Reply 6
The MCU films I have enjoyed the least so far are Iron Man 2 and the first two Thor films. Just couldn’t get into any of them and found them hard to enjoy. While I have seen them all once, I wouldn’t choose to rewatch any of them as much as I would some of the better instalments like Guardians, Captain America 2 and 3 and all the Avengers films etc.

Quick Reply

Latest